• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shiznit redux
1 1

82 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Cliff Merritt Sets The Record Straight - 1969 - 28 pages, slick cover, full size - near mint - white pages - $80

Cliff Merritt explains to the smarty-pants high school kids that railroad union men are not the bad guys. Despite the very dry story material this is an incredibly well packaged, graphically designed and illustrated comic. I was swayed and I have no skin in the railroad union game at all.

salesthread218.jpg

salesthread219.jpg

When are you going to set the record straight about the comic dealer game? hm

Just now, Sqeggs said:

I need an artist to help illustrate that story...and a whole lot of paper to print it.

Just now, MrBedrock said:
1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I need an artist to help illustrate that story...and a whole lot of paper to print it.

I might be able to help with that part.  Do you care if all the people are stick figures?

A little diversion ...

HoustonCon '74 - 42 pages, heavy stock covers, 5.5"X8.5" - fine - white pages - $15

This is the program book for the 1974 Houston Con. Not technically a giveaway comic, it was given away at the door to the show. This was the second Houston Con that I attended (but this isn't my program book - it came in in a collection). The Houston Con promotors were very heavy into film so the book has a big slant that direction. This was also the first year that GB Love attached the Star Trek convention - Walter Koenig was a guest and there four pages dedicated to the show. Unfortunately this copy has fairly heavily rusted staples but otherwise it is very nice. The back cover is blank white so I haven't included a scan. As a freebie I am including the film line-up schedule for the 1975 Houston Con as well.

salesthread220.jpg

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
8 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I might be able to help with that part.  Do you care if all the people are stick figures?

All of the people are stick figures.

1 minute ago, MrBedrock said:
8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
9 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

All of the people are stick figures.

Even Harley? 

Ladies...Wouldn't It Be Better To Know? - 1969 - 16 pages, paper covers, full size - near mint - off-white/white pages - $50 SOLD!

Produced by The American Cancer Society, this comic informs women that uterine cancer is a danger and that it is a good idea to get a pap test. Full of the wonderfully sexist ideas of the times (the women central to the story are all doing laundry!), this is great message wrapped up in a bad idea. This copy also has a certificate stating that it is the file copy of the publisher.

salesthread221.jpg

salesthread222.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock
SOLD!

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Even Harley? 

He is a little rounder stick than most.

Driving Like A Pro - 1958 - 16 pages, paper covers, full size - near mint - cream/off-white pages - $80

Driving safety from the man who knows driving...your Greyhound Bus driver!

salesthread223.jpg

salesthread224.jpg

Dangerous Playgrounds - 1966 - 16 pages, slick covers, 5"X7" - very fine - cream pages - $45

Illustrating the dangers of playing on railroad property, produced by the American Association of Railroads.

salesthread225.jpg

salesthread226.jpg

Making Your Own Future - 1973 - 16 pages, paper covers, full size - fine - off-white pages - $20

Produced by employment firm Snelling and Snelling, this comic gave guidelines and hints for a successful job interview.

salesthread227.jpg

salesthread228.jpg

Training Can Be Fun - 1955 - 16 pages, heavy paper stock, 4.75"X7.25" - very fine/near mint - white pages - $45

Produced by Ken'L Products, the makers of Ken'L Ration and other dog foods, this booklet contains helpful hints for training your dog.

salesthread229.jpg

salesthread230.jpg

Once A Champion - 1966 - 16 pages, paper covers, 5"X7" - very fine - off-white pages - $45

Produced by Custom Comics and given away by Chevrolet, this Kurt Schaffenberger illustrated comic introduced kids to the wonderful world of soapbox derby.

salesthread231.jpg

salesthread232.jpg

The New American Frontier - 1950? - 16 pages, paper covers, full size - very fine - cream/off-white pages - $45

Produced by American Trucking Industry to show the progress of the frontier from isolated pockets of civilization to thriving metropolises due to the power of commerce strengthened by the mobility that trucking provides.

salesthread233.jpg

salesthread234.jpg

So that is all that I have planned for now. If demand picks up I will add some more in the coming days. I plan to have all of these promos and many more on display and for sale at WonderCon in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Ladies...Wouldn't It Be Better To Know? - 1969 - 16 pages, paper covers, full size - near mint - off-white/white pages - $50

Produced by The American Cancer Society, this comic informs women that uterine cancer is a danger and that it is a good idea to get a pap test. Full of the wonderfully sexist ideas of the times (the women central to the story are all doing laundry!), this is great message wrapped up in a bad idea. This copy also has a certificate stating that it is the file copy of the publisher.

salesthread221.jpg

salesthread222.jpg

I'll take it.   LMK if you have more medical ones.  

50 minutes ago, buttock said:

I'll take it.   LMK if you have more medical ones.  

Thanks Dan. I will dug around and see what I have.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:56 PM, MrBedrock said:

Dangerous Playgrounds - 1966 - 16 pages, slick covers, 5"X7" - very fine - cream pages - $45

Illustrating the dangers of playing on railroad property, produced by the American Association of Railroads.

salesthread225.jpg

salesthread226.jpg

Bumping this to show some of the gruesome situations portrayed within...

1dangerousplaygrounds3.thumb.jpg.0a3a85bf4b39666f3976e5d945be3181.jpg1dangerousplaygrounds4.thumb.jpg.c215ca5772b7860f086fdd18d36a5aff.jpg1dangerousplaygrounds5.thumb.jpg.0b438bd0713b77c1acfe8c8629abad48.jpg1dangerousplaygrounds6.thumb.jpg.6e454db7429925703394ec57f86ec4aa.jpg

On 3/14/2017 at 8:40 PM, MrBedrock said:

They're Off! - 1976 - 16 pages, paper cover, full size - very good/fine - off-white pages - $20

A primer to horse racing and track betting. A subscription-like crease keeps this from being higher grade, probably folded in the back pocket of some track regular. It is possible that this comic brought the holder such luck that he hit a string of exactas, won the lottery, and met his future wife and two mistresses.

salesthread178.jpg

salesthread179.jpg

Art by Golden Age great Mike Roy!