• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Tight" grading periods at CGC
2 2

28 posts in this topic

I've read in threads here and there talk of "tight" grading periods at CGC. I'm curious what time frames are considered "tight" and what time frames are considered "relaxed" and why periods are such.

And specifically, I recently purchased a CGC slabbed book that was graded in late October of 2016 (10/31, I believe. Not sure) and was curious if this was considered a tight period of grading or a loose one. 

Thanks!

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I've read in threads here and there talk of "tight" grading periods at CGC. I'm curious what time frames are considered "tight" and what time frames are considered "relaxed" and why periods are such.

And specifically, I recently purchased a CGC slabbed book that was graded in late October of 2016 (10/31, I believe. Not sure) and was curious if this was considered a tight period of grading or a loose one. 

Thanks!

October of 2016 was definitely a tight period IMHO.

19 minutes ago, NoMan said:

is it an influx of books (temp graders?) that creates a loose period?

It's hard to tell, but things seemed to have tightened up around the time they hired extra help in 2015. Maybe the newbies are the ones being tougher on books? As a disclaimer, I mainly deal with 9.8 moderns, so when I say "tight" I'm really referring to the chances of scoring a 9.8 on a fresh book. I have less experience dealing with medium to low grade comics.

I remember reading in some older threads where board members had identified a specific series of bar code #'s, which reflected tighter graded books during that period.  I found it very interesting and even wrote down one such series that had been discussed: barcodes starting with 093 to 097 as very tightly graded.  I'm sure other boardies have information such as this, and of course it is subjective, but I find it quite enlightening to hear from others about their thoughts and observations on tighter and looser grading periods (or barcode series #'s which are identified as such) :popcorn:

Edited by mosconi

5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:
6 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'm curious what time frames are considered "tight" and what time frames are considered "relaxed" and why periods are such.

When I was 18 I used to ask that about girls

:signfunny:

10 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

The early years were really tough for the most part.  

I agree the early days that is why the old label has respect

8 hours ago, mosconi said:

I remember reading in some older threads where board members had identified a specific series of bar code #'s, which reflected tighter graded books during that period.  I found it very interesting and even wrote down one such series that had been discussed: barcodes starting with 093 to 097 as very tightly graded.  I'm sure other boardies have information such as this, and of course it is subjective, but I find it quite enlightening to hear from others about their thoughts and observations on tighter and looser grading periods (or barcode series #'s which are identified as such) :popcorn:

The problem with going just by serial numbers is that people who have invoices with those serial numbers can submit them at any time.If CGC  has graded north of 3 MIL books (which they have) then that means there are over 3 MIL serial numbers out there.

There are people submitting today that still have paper invoices with old serial numbers and so even though it has an old serial number the grading is recent, and visa versa, there are people who submitted during older periods who had newer serial numbers.

It's not necessarily the serial number that matters as much as the time period.

34 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The problem with going just by serial numbers is that people who have invoices with those serial numbers can submit them at any time.If CGC  has graded north of 3 MIL books (which they have) then that means there are over 3 MIL serial numbers out there.

There are people submitting today that still have paper invoices with old serial numbers and so even though it has an old serial number the grading is recent, and visa versa, there are people who submitted during older periods who had newer serial numbers.

It's not necessarily the serial number that matters as much as the time period.

good info. thanks.

I've been getting murdered in '17, ever since they caught back on timelines. "When was this graded ?" is def a question I ask when buying. Also, if you're doing on site grading at a show...cr@p shoot. All part of the human element in the end. 

Buy the book, not the grade!

Edited by Kevin...