• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Tight" grading periods at CGC
2 2

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Looser grading in Dec, 2016. My pre-grade on SA Marvel key of 4.5 came back Cgc 6.5 blue label. My pre-grade on SA DC key of 3.0 came back Cgc 5.0 blue label.

Probably more on an individual book by book basis, especially when it comes to the different eras and the grading teams being used.  hm

For example, does this look like a CGC 3.5 graded book from your point of view:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=697754

Of course, you can't accurately grade from just a scan.  But just from a visual eye appeal point of view, this book certainly looks a lot nicer than your typical 3.5 book and it was graded back on December 9th of 2016.  :luhv:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Probably more on an individual book by book basis, especially when it comes to the different eras and the grading teams being used.  hm

Of course, you can't accurately grade from just a scan.  But just from a visual eye appeal point of view, this book certainly looks a lot nicer than your typical 3.5 book and it was graded back on December 9th of 2016.  :luhv:

You don't know if there are stains or spine splits that could be lowering the grade

It's not just about a period of "loose grading" but also depends on the value tier as different graders can work on different tiers.

I've experienced this myself that in a supposedly looser period on Economy the grading on Standard was brutal but it could easily work the other way around depending on who's grading what.

Not sure if a single grader still acts as a grade Finalizer for all books but that would minimize the inconsistency.

21 hours ago, Philflound said:
23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You don't know if there are stains or spine splits that could be lowering the grade

Or those much dreaded near "invisible" tiny non-color breaking creases or stresses which can only be seen if you hold the book up to the light at a certain angle, and a defect which this current grading team will apply the sledge hammer to, while applying a soft touch of the feather to other clearly visible eye scorching defects which can be seen while standing from outside the convention booth.  :screwy:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Or those much dreaded near "invisible" tiny non-color breaking creases or stresses which can only be seen if you hold the book up to the light at a certain angle, and a defect which this current grading team will apply the sledge hammer to, while applying a soft touch of the feather to other clearly visible eye scorching defects which can be seen while standing from outside the convention booth.  :screwy:

Your sarcasm is starting to bore me. I'm embarrassed to be called a fellow Canadian. :bigsmile:

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Your sarcasm is starting to bore me. I'm embarrassed to be called a fellow Canadian. :bigsmile:

Well, since we are so loose on the "left" coast here, it's understandably and completely different from the tightly wound personalities you have on the "right" coast.  :baiting:  :x

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since we are so loose on the "left" coast here, it's understandably and completely different from the tightly wound personalities you have on the "right" coast.  :baiting:  :x

There's no "right" or "left" coast.  Just the "wrong" coast