• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "SPAWN" reboot movie thread.
1 1

102 posts in this topic

I'm still very skeptical on this one.  I'd love to see this happen.  But, Todd wants to 'direct' and/or 'produce' himself.  That's not easy, and I can't imagine any big production company saying sure thing to that type of request/demand (though Marc Silvestri and Top Cow are 'producers' now).  Frank Miller was a major exception (and there were still problems with the SAG or 'directors guild') because he had Rodriguez in his corner and teaming up with him was the only reason I think that worked out...

I believe Todd would need a similar advocate and studio willing to take a big risk.

The 90's angst ridden teenager in me would love to see this work out, but I think we'll have better luck seeing "Sam and Twitch" over on BBC America years before this comes to fruition.

One think though is Todd is real rich and that could help him get the movie made. He makes a lot of money with  McFarlane Toys. He has money so he can get it done. 

Todd McFarlane's net worth is 300 million.

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celebrity-business/entrepreneurs/todd-mcfarlane-net-worth/

So other than Stan Lee he is probably the richest comic creator out there. If anybody can get a movie made it is him.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Oh boy.

Spawn reboot delayed...again

spawn-2-delayed-fb.jpg

after the critical and financial failure of the aforementioned film, McFarlane became very protective of his property. So much so that he decided to make the film himself. That was twenty years ago. Speaking to SyFy Wire, McFarlane gave an update on the film's development:

"So I’m going, I’m not selling it but if you want to see the rough draft, I’ll send it to you. But just so everybody knows, I write, produce, direct, non-negotiable...I wouldn’t ask to be a newbie director on a -script that was going to have an eighty million budget for it. Why? Because as a CEO of my own corporation, I wouldn’t take that deal. I wouldn’t stick out $80 million and go, ‘they’re going to put a rookie and he’s going to basically be in charge of it.’ So I’ve created this tight little one that I keep saying, I think I can shoot it for ten."

I really wish McFarlane would relinquish some control, or at least fund a short film for himself or something. I want the movie, and understand its his baby, but if he really wants it made he's gotta be more realistic. OR this all might be a ploy to never get the film made, which, if that's so...bravo.

Seems like it is getting harder for non-DC/Marvel comic book movies to be made.

Speculators of buying independent keys should take note of this for future consideration.

Marvel/DC have a huge advantage with Disney and Warner Brothers behind them to pay for marketing them.

16 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Speculators of buying independent keys should take note of this for future consideration.

Marvel/DC have a huge advantage with Disney and Warner Brothers behind them to pay for marketing them.

Todds stubborness should not be a barometer for the independent market 

they just announced Umbrella Academy on Netflix

28 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Todds stubborness should not be a barometer for the independent market 

they just announced Umbrella Academy on Netflix

Good point. 

A real good documentary here about how Todd McFarlane's mind works. A little long but worth the watch on a rainy day.

17 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yeah - I disagree.

Aside from the shocking fact that Mark Millar has now had far more of his comic book adaptations made into major movies than Frank Miller, roughly half of them have been based on his Image creator-owned projects (i.e.,  Wanted, Kick- 1+2 and Kingsman 1+2).

Quality is what matters, not the Marvel/DC duopoloy.

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - I disagree.

Aside from the shocking fact that Mark Millar has now had far more of his comic book adaptations made into major movies than Frank Miller, roughly half of them have been based on his Image creator-owned projects (i.e.,  Wanted, Kick- 1+2 and Kingsman 1+2).

I certainly enjoyed the movie adaptations of Kingsman and Wanted! I hear Millar has more on the way...

18 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - I disagree.

Maybe,but it seems 9 out of 10 times the keys that have longer Hollywood hype buzz seem to be the Marvel/DC ones. Most of the independent comic book movies usually have a short buzz than fall back as soon as their movie gets released to mediocre box office results. Also it seems harder to get a non-Marvel/DC movie made lately.

Mark Miller is a marketing genuis I would say more than a comic book genuis. He really knows how to network with Hollywood guys. If your a creator I would follow the Mark Miller blueprint.

Another smart cookie is Robert Kirkman,but I see him more like the Stephen King of comics in that he transcends his medium.

I'd say he's a 

5 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Maybe,but 9 out of 10 times the keys that have longer Hollywood hype buzz seem to be the Marvel/DC ones. Most of the independent comic book movies usually have a short buzz than fall back as soon as their movie gets released to mediocre box office results.

Mark Miller is a marketing genuis I would say more than a comic book genuis. He really knows how to network with Hollywood guys. If your a creator I would follow the Mark Miller blueprint.

Another smart cookie is Robert Kirkman,but I see him more like the Stephen King of comics in that he transcends his medium.

But Millar's a solid storyteller too.

Out of everything they could have chosen from, there's a reason that Hollywood chose his stories to adapt for Civil War & Logan.

Civil War was the best full company crossover I'd read since Valiant's Unity, and was arguably our generation's Secret Wars.

And I only *finally* got around to reading Old Man Logan this month - surprisingly good, even if only ~30% of it was represented in the final movie. For instance, nobody had told me that Logan and Hawkeye did their road trip in the freakin' Spider-mobile.

I think Kirkman mostly got lucky with The Walking Dead, although he was savvy enough to screw Tony Moore out of any of the TV or merchandising rights.

On July 12, 2017 at 0:22 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Maybe,but it seems 9 out of 10 times the keys that have longer Hollywood hype buzz seem to be the Marvel/DC ones. Most of the independent comic book movies usually have a short buzz than fall back as soon as their movie gets released to mediocre box office results. Also it seems harder to get a non-Marvel/DC movie made lately.

I would not look at comic keys as any barometer of Hollywood success. The problem for most indie books is longevity of the runs. In most cases, if the creator moves on then no one really cares about the 1st app. even if it is a box office success. The only indie franchise that has broken that trend really is TMNT.

That being said, there are plenty of quick rise and full flop back Marvel and DC TV/movie related books as well. After the Bronze Age, books are too common.

On July 12, 2017 at 0:38 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I think Kirkman mostly got lucky with The Walking Dead, although he was savvy enough to screw Tony Moore out of any of the TV or merchandising rights.

You mean Kirkman was lucky to get Adlard to replace Tony Moore. WD #1 was recommended to me the week it came out by my LCS. The story was okay, but I could not stand the artwork. Adlard is much better for the tone and feel of the book than Moore was.

28 minutes ago, kimik said:

You mean Kirkman was lucky to get Adlard to replace Tony Moore. WD #1 was recommended to me the week it came out by my LCS. The story was okay, but I could not stand the artwork. Adlard is much better for the tone and feel of the book than Moore was.

Doesn't change the fact that Moore got _zero_ royalties from the Walking Dead TV show, merchandise, or spin-offs -- despite being a co-creator.

Analogous to if Eastman had conned Laird out of any rights to TMNT immediately before the cartoon came out.

27 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Doesn't change the fact that Moore got _zero_ royalties from the Walking Dead TV show, merchandise, or spin-offs -- despite being a co-creator.

Analogous to if Eastman had conned Laird out of any rights to TMNT immediately before the cartoon came out.

I didn't realize this,so people don't give Bob Kane and Stan Lee any slack for their dealings with Bill Finger and Jack Kirby,yet Kirkman's treatment of Moore has gone under the radar?

hm

It's not exactly under the radar, as Moore has been quite vocal about having been cut out of the rights by Kirkman and sued him over it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/walking-dead-robert-kirkman-lawsuit-373667

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/10/10/the-walking-dead-behind-the-scenes-battle-that-almost-doubled-the-zombie-count/

Edited by Gatsby77

‘Spawn’: Blumhouse Productions Sign on for R-Rated Adaptation

spawn-comic-image-slice-600x200.jpg

Blumhouse Productions has officially signed on to produce McFarlane’s new Spawn -script should have fans, including myself, very excited, especially because this vision is intended as an R-rated horror/thriller which the highly successful studio has become known for.

However, they’re also known for their extremely efficient financial model of small budgets (< $10 million) for virally driven, high-concept stories that inevitably spawn (no pun intended) franchises. Not exactly the model I’d expect a Spawn film to fall under, especially since the character’s rather animated cape and chains will require a substantial visual effects budget on their own; even the 1997 film, which did a serviceable job in this regard, had $40 million to play with. Even Deadpool, which will inevitably come up as a comparison, stretched every cent of its $58 million.

However, Blumhouse has had massive success over the years with this model; maybe they’re ready to tackle something a little more grandiose. Or perhaps the Spawn -script is more in line with Blumhouse’s previous productions and scales back on the effects work, save for a few standout sequences. McFarlane said as much a few years ago while still developing the project, which he wants to write, produce, and direct:

"I think it’s a quick shoot. It’s not going to be a giant budget with a lot of special effects, it’s going to be more of a horror movie and a thriller movie, not a superhero one."