• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing - send in with or w/o grader notes

3 posts in this topic

I am looking to send some of my comics for pressing,  would you crack the cgc case or send it in w/o breaking it open? 

would you send it with the grader notes as well?  

Do pressing services look at the grader notes and target what to press? 

First, I cannot imagine any reason NOT to share graders notes with the pressing service when you have them. Every little bit of information is helpful in deciding if a comic is or is not a good pressing candidate.  Grading notes might well mention some hidden defect that one cannot see with the book encapsulated. 

Most of the time it's better to send the books still slabbed.  If it is determined the book is NOT a good pressing candidate based on an inspection of the book(s) still in the holder, then you would get back book(s) still slabbed. However, if you are absolutely certain you want the book(s) pressed and regraded regardless of what whether or not the books will upgrade, you might unslab them just to reduce weight and postage costs. 

I'm sure all pressing services look at graders notes - when available - to see if there are any hidden defects that would negatively impact the likelihood of CPR (crack, press, resubmit) being successful.  As far as "targeting" defects based on notes - probably not so much. Grading notes are not a 100%, absolute and complete record of every defect a professionally graded and encapsulated book has. It's just a list of the defects the graders took the time to list.  A good pressing service is looking for all the defects on the book - both those that will improve and those that won't.  

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:12 AM, mvp70 said:

I am looking to send some of my comics for pressing,  would you crack the cgc case or send it in w/o breaking it open? 

would you send it with the grader notes as well?  

Do pressing services look at the grader notes and target what to press? 

It would make sense that the more you know, the better the final outcome could be. While not an absolute, notes do help. Unfortunately with most CPR's the notes on 9.4 or 9.6 books are very limited, if there are any. Older books in the lower to mid-grade ranges would be the candidates where notes would be the most helpful in identifying upgrade possibilities.