• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective 40 Scam on eBay
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I was looking at the listings on eBay, when I came across a nice looking Detective 40. As I studied the photos, I realized this was my old copy. When I read the description, it says "unsure about restoration". I went back and saw I sold the seller the book on eBay last year. I clearly said it was restored, and pointed out as much as I could discern. I can't believe he forgot about that, especially since we had several PM's back and forth. So avoid this auction, and maybe we can get it shut down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/detective-comics-40-First-Ever-Joker-Cover-Major-Key-Villain-/332155691381?hash=item4d5605a175:g:ueEAAOSwsW9YygFm

There are lots of questions on the auction asking about restoration, but he gives the same stock answer to all of them.

Odd that he's even bothered to post those questions -- still optional for the seller on eBay, I think.

Maybe he feels doing so provides him additional coverage in terms of a buyer later calling him out on the resto.

Not a boardie, I take it?

17 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Maybe we can make lemonade from this lemon -- for the novice eye, could you experts point out exactly where the resto is? (and any other pointers on identifying resto...) Thanks!

There's color touch all along the spine and spine corners, and masking a bend going horizontally from the middle spine through Robin's cape. If you zoom into the photos on a good screen (at least the photos are decently sized), the CT in the light blue areas is pretty easy to spot.

It's a nice-presenting book... but yep, resto'd for sure and the seller is just playing dumb.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:08 AM, Larryw7 said:

I was looking at the listings on eBay, when I came across a nice looking Detective 40. As I studied the photos, I realized this was my old copy. When I read the description, it says "unsure about restoration". I went back and saw I sold the seller the book on eBay last year. I clearly said it was restored, and pointed out as much as I could discern. I can't believe he forgot about that, especially since we had several PM's back and forth. So avoid this auction, and maybe we can get it shut down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/detective-comics-40-First-Ever-Joker-Cover-Major-Key-Villain-/332155691381?hash=item4d5605a175:g:ueEAAOSwsW9YygFm

Nice detective work. and thanks for bring it up.