• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Dallas 2018, April 6-8, Dallas TX
1 1

265 posts in this topic

I meant to post this a little earlier but does anyone know what was going on with the cell phone/LTE signal in the convention center? My phone showed LTE with full bars but the internet would not work at all. When I walked into the foyer by the windows it worked fine. Seems like the signal was being blocked inside the convention center (probably to force vendors to purchase the WiFi plan). Sure makes it tough for anyone who keeps their want list/collection online. CGC and most of the vendors were having issues with it as well. Some couldn’t process credit card payments. 

2 hours ago, loganparker said:

I meant to post this a little earlier but does anyone know what was going on with the cell phone/LTE signal in the convention center? My phone showed LTE with full bars but the internet would not work at all. When I walked into the foyer by the windows it worked fine. Seems like the signal was being blocked inside the convention center (probably to force vendors to purchase the WiFi plan). Sure makes it tough for anyone who keeps their want list/collection online. CGC and most of the vendors were having issues with it as well. Some couldn’t process credit card payments. 

We had a similar experience. We were actually ok most of Saturday in processing Square transactions, but plenty of other dealers around us had a huge issue. But if you walked out into the lobby it was fine. I don't think it was blocked intentionally as much as it was a lot of phones inside a concrete box with limited signal penetration.

I've run into this problem enough that I screenshot my online want list so I can access it in a con if the signal is .

Edited by mysterio

Maybe so. I still think they’re able to somehow “dampen” the signal since I’ve also experienced this in large sporting event coliseums. My phone showed LTE with full bars yet no pages would load. Walk into the foyer by the window and still LTE with full bars and the pages loaded instantly. Really put a hamper on accessing sites such as GPA (for those unplanned purchases). I’ll have my want list copied next time like you suggested.