• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2 2

74 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

love the look/colors of this 5.0.  looks 7.0 in the holder.

ww15.jpg

Great example of what I was driving at, Billy! I've held this one in my hot li'l hands, and even though its a decent scan, it doesn't really do this copy justice. It's a beauty.

This is a very bad scan. The background is actually a uniform deep red, and having had it raw, can say that the book drips with gloss, sadly not evident in the holder. Hammered because of a very light water stain on the back cover, which is barely visible; otherwise would've probably been in the VF range.

FightComics32CGC60_zps2b98e2a6.JPG

6 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

This is a very bad scan. The background is actually a uniform deep red, and having had it raw, can say that the book drips with gloss, sadly not evident in the holder. Hammered because of a very light water stain on the back cover, which is barely visible; otherwise would've probably been in the VF range.

FightComics32CGC60_zps2b98e2a6.JPG

arguably my favorite Fight. Nice copy Flex

This book was graded by one of the original graders at CGC, Mr. Bud Tugly. He didn't seem to be bothered by foxing too very much.

I don't think he is employed there any longer...

superman5.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

This book was graded by one of the original graders at CGC, Mr. Bud Tugly. He didn't seem to be bothered by foxing too very much.

superman5.jpg

..and yet even light stains are hammered...

I always dust off this scan when we do these eye appeal threads... liberated from a 1.0 slab (text page coupon cut, trimmed edge) but it looks more like VF.
Love the gloss and colors on this copy.

youngallies8.jpg

4 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I always dust off this scan when we do these eye appeal threads... liberated from a 1.0 slab (text page coupon cut, trimmed edge) but it looks more like VF.
Love the gloss and colors on this copy.

youngallies8.jpg

VF presentation at 1.0 price? :takeit:

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

superman5.jpg

It's a 8.5 though. Pay no attention to that comic behind the slab. Buy the number, the number...

stickers_2e92483daa57561013dd34f0e87b5b6

Two examples for me. First I probably over paid for this 4.0 just because I thought it looked that much better than other copies at or around the grade.

5e5365d1127669a59bf7c241b06c5c89b33d4fb2

Next I usually find 3.0 a bit to low in most cases for appeal but this one won me over recently. I know why it's a 3.0 but it's defects I can live with. I also liked the price I was able to acquire it at.

16a26c71586c6984cacb3259988e3c18be5b3eb0

Edited by N e r V

12 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Next I usually find 3.0 a bit to low in most cases for appeal but this one won me over recently. I know why it's a 3.0 but it's defects I can live with. I also liked the price I was able to acquire it at.

16a26c71586c6984cacb3259988e3c18be5b3eb0

I totally agree. Sometimes, understandably, one's eyes may be drawn to the defects, but in this case the bright red and green "blue"print draw you in. A great small-logo Detective.

i have a similar spine-nick book; here's my witness 1, which looks so much better than the assigned grade at first glance, BUT, there's a nice piece out of the spine.  when you first look, it appears like another fold in the cape, like the dab of yellow above it.

witness1-1.jpg