• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are this at least legitimate Bob Kane ghosts?

156 posts in this topic

Agree with everyone else.   If you can return the "Kane's" for a refund, do it yesterday.   Don't trade for prints.  

Another Batman artist I'd add to "the list" of art to look for:   Tim Sale

And, since you said you have TV Show memorabilia, look for art from the series "Batman 66".   It's a more recent series that was done in the style of the old TV Show.  Might be something you like.   I looked for pages recently, but passed as I wanted art that had word balloons as well (most newer art doesn't).  

Here's a link to a bunch of stuff for sale on CAF from the series. 

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleSearchResult.asp?PM=1&txtSearch=batman+66'&selOwner=%&TimeSpan=&Order=&PI=36

On 4/19/2017 at 7:44 PM, comicartcom said:

I agree

On 4/19/2017 at 8:08 PM, Bronty said:

anybody live close to Morgan?   I get the sense he's a little foggy on originals vs prints and I'd invite him over to show him in person, except for the small matter of 4,000 miles or so.

Thank you for helping out man! At this moment, I'm really thinking hard about what moves me....got my full credit from Choice Collectibles and seeing what kind of original art there is out there to collect that don't have a cloud of suspicion! I'll post what I end up getting! Got itchy fingers now! Looking at some original art from Alex Ross whom I always admired!

On 4/20/2017 at 11:28 AM, chrisco37 said:

Agree with everyone else.   If you can return the "Kane's" for a refund, do it yesterday.   Don't trade for prints.  

Another Batman artist I'd add to "the list" of art to look for:   Tim Sale

And, since you said you have TV Show memorabilia, look for art from the series "Batman 66".   It's a more recent series that was done in the style of the old TV Show.  Might be something you like.   I looked for pages recently, but passed as I wanted art that had word balloons as well (most newer art doesn't).  

Here's a link to a bunch of stuff for sale on CAF from the series. 

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleSearchResult.asp?PM=1&txtSearch=batman+66'&selOwner=%&TimeSpan=&Order=&PI=36

Woo! What a great link! Diving in! 

On 4/23/2017 at 9:52 AM, comicartcom said:

I hope you mean "refund" and and thankfully they are doing it right.

On 4/23/2017 at 9:52 AM, comicartcom said:

I hope you mean "refund" and and thankfully they are doing it right.

I'm getting credit back for some original art that they have from Alex Ross that I've wanted... and some money back. I just found another one I'm returning too! 

IMG_3518.JPG

Your call but "credit" isn't the same as "refund". And prints, even Alex Ross, aren't the same as originals. Art dealers love mechanically produced prints, ask yourself why? Is it because that's what's best for their customers...or their bank account? Well you can figure that out but it's also because they can sell the same "art" over and over and over again, without waiting for the artist to actually make a(nother) darned thing!

Were I in your shoes I'd insist on REFUND and take my next business, if I had any taste left for the matter at all, as far away as possible.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Your call but "credit" isn't the same as "refund". And prints, even Alex Ross, aren't the same as originals. Art dealers love mechanically produced prints, ask yourself why? Is it because that's what's best for their customers...or their bank account? Well you can figure that out but it's also because they can sell the same "art" over and over and over again, without waiting for the artist to actually make a(nother) darned thing!

Were I in your shoes I'd insist on REFUND and take my next business, if I had any taste left for the matter at all, as far away as possible.

Its a tire fire for sure.

Google up Choice Collectibles' website.    They are a sports memorabilia dealer.   They may not want to refund all that money.

If that's the case there are probably two paths:

a) sue

b) take the credit and use on the highest end, most liquid & resaleable items they have (probably high end sports cards I guess?).     Then, money in hand, buy art elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Morgan, what he's trying to say is don't allow them to take responsibility for selling you worthless junk by giving you different worthless junk.    Get something that can be liquidated for a reasonable approximation of what you paid - something with hard auction value, or purse legal options.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Morgan, what he's trying to say is don't allow them to take responsibility for selling you worthless junk by giving you different worthless junk.    Get something that can be liquidated for a reasonable approximation of what you paid - something with hard auction value, or purse legal options.

Yes that's what I meant, thanks Bronty. But also understand - if it's a markup dealer operation, all their inventory is bloated, so even high/end/liquid will be overpriced, overgraded, have hidden restoration, yaddayadda, so you're sorta effed unless you can just that cashola back. Any inventory you "take" in trade will never come out equal/better than your cash that went in and disappeared. Not that I know anything specific about this one dealer, I'm writing broadly and exactly how I see it...broadly. Maybe this one output is as innocent as you are and happy to make things right post haste, eating any losses as a cost of doing business. Maybe. I mean that's what I'd do, but then I'd never had crummy Bob Kane art, legit or not, in my inventory unless I got it for like...pennies. And then I'd be wondering if it was fake and couldn't in good conscience sell it as anything other than "in the manner of" unless somebody I trusted told me I got lucky and they were real. Best of luck to you on this, though you shouldn't need it, you should just ask for and get a trouble-free refund from a solid dealer that cares about their customers and their reputation....

5 minutes ago, vodou said:

Yes that's what I meant, thanks Bronty. But also understand - if it's a markup dealer operation, all their inventory is bloated, so even high/end/liquid will be overpriced, overgraded, have hidden restoration, yaddayadda, so you're sorta effed unless you can just that cashola back. Any inventory you "take" in trade will never come out equal/better than your cash that went in and disappeared. Not that I know anything specific about this one dealer, I'm writing broadly and exactly how I see it...broadly. 

Oh absolutely.     But if you can't get the cash back, again, there's two options.    Fight, and it costs you, or take something of value, even if price is bloated, and get at least some money back that way.    He's not coming out ahead here no matter what happens, unless he gets a refund.    If he does take trade back the best trade is going to be the Nolan Ryan and Wayne Gretzky rookie cards and such.    Something of real value that's easy to liquidate.     Even if a brick and mortar has to overcharge by say 30%, there's still an ability to get most of the money back if the items are good.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Oh absolutely.     But if you can't get the cash back, again, there's two options.    Fight, and it costs you, or take something of value, even if price is bloated, and get at least some money back that way.    He's not coming out ahead here no matter what happens, unless he gets a refund.    If he does take trade back the best trade is going to be the Nolan Ryan and Wayne Gretzky rookie cards and such.    Something of real value that's easy to liquidate.     Even if a brick and mortar has to overcharge by 30%, there's still an ability to get most of the money back.

I'd say the cue will be what the dealer will let you 'take' and what he won't, then you'll know you're being reverse-picked ;)

24 minutes ago, vodou said:

I'd say the cue will be what the dealer will let you 'take' and what he won't, then you'll know you're being reverse-picked ;)

Oh agreed completely.    Credit for anything in the store is a lot different than credit for the stuff he says is OK.   He knows what has hard value.   At which point legal if the only trade items are prints.

Edited by Bronty

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

Its a tire fire for sure.

Google up Choice Collectibles' website.    They are a sports memorabilia dealer.   They may not want to refund all that money.

They're not a sports memorabilia dealer.  You must have clicked on the first search result for "Choice Collectibles".  The one selling the "Kane" pieces and Alex Ross prints is the second search result.  There's nothing really liquid & resaleable in their inventory.  Refund is the only palatable option here.

oh this just keeps getting better :/  

Btw IMO this schulz from their booth is as real as the jetpack I went to work on

Edited by Bronty

looking at their website, they have S2 art prints for the Mummy, Dracula etc.. $1195 each. you can buy these from Royal Art (the compnay that took over S2) for 1/3 or less

http://www.allanimation.com/movieposters.html

their new website, also with a fake

http://choiceartgroup.com/artist-talent/bob-kane.html

1 hour ago, comicartcom said:

looking at their website, they have S2 art prints for the Mummy, Dracula etc.. $1195 each. you can buy these from Royal Art (the compnay that took over S2) for 1/3 or less

http://www.allanimation.com/movieposters.html

their new website, also with a fake

http://choiceartgroup.com/artist-talent/bob-kane.html

You know, that was my guess when it came to the prints, that they were purchasing marked up prints from people like Alex Ross (I'm sure he must sell them direct too) and marking them up more.   Where is the Royal Art site?   Have some trouble finding.

Edited by Bronty