• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Romita Sr sketch

12 posts in this topic

John Romita Sr sketch

Hey guys, so last night I won an auction for a John Romita sr Spider-Man head sketch which was done in 1996, bought it so I  could display it with the letter and autograph I got from him after sending a letter (unfortunately he does not sketch anymore). Anyways, I was wondering if any one can provide any insight whether the sketch looks real to them and where John might have been signing in 1996 (Included a pic of it below). Thanks- Daniel

58e928ca4edb3_unnamed(5).jpg.dfb66395cc8eeb25b5dd72b7ce62dc83.jpg 

Looks real to me.   I know I met John in New York in the late 90's and he offered to do quick head sketches for anyone that wanted one for free.  This is earlier than that, but he probably offered something similar wherever he appeared to do this.  Signature looks right to me as well.  Sketch is a little looser, but looks like he did it without penciling first.

10 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Looks real to me.   I know I met John in New York in the late 90's and he offered to do quick head sketches for anyone that wanted one for free.  This is earlier than that, but he probably offered something similar wherever he appeared to do this.  Signature looks right to me as well.  Sketch is a little looser, but looks like he did it without penciling first.

Thanks for the info! Yes it seems like he went strait to the pen without pencils first. The prices for his sketches have been going up a lot latley 

On April 13, 2017 at 8:16 AM, comicwiz said:

This one's from an autographs page from '73 - interesting seeing the differences in his sketch and sig over twenty years apart

NY-Comicon_1973_sigs_zps8e7329cd.jpg

Wow that's one amazing jam peice, so many big names. Hope to get something like that done when I go to a con in May! Bagley, Layton, Nicieza are going as well as other big names

Agree that the signature looks spot on. Here's mine by way of comparison.  The sketch looks a bit "off" but I think the conclusion that it was done quickly and without underlying pencils explains it perfectly.  I'd say it's the real deal. 

image.jpeg

On April 15, 2017 at 10:38 AM, fmaz said:

Agree that the signature looks spot on. Here's mine by way of comparison.  The sketch looks a bit "off" but I think the conclusion that it was done quickly and without underlying pencils explains it perfectly.  I'd say it's the real deal. 

image.jpeg

Wow I'm so jealous of that. I hope to get another sketch from him that's penciled and more detailed. The two I own are drawn in pen with not much detail.

1 hour ago, Canadiancomics said:

Wow I'm so jealous of that. I hope to get another sketch from him that's penciled and more detailed. The two I own are drawn in pen with not much detail.

I'm hoping to get an original art page of his from his Amazing Spider-Man run someday... I've actually identified the page I want and found a seller who keeps tantilzing me by saying "Not ready to sell it today, but check back in with me." lol  Although it's now been six months of that and I'm starting to think he's just too nice to just say "No".    But anyway, in the meantime, I'm very happy to have this sketch.  Which, by the way, I bought right her off the boards... so keep your eyes open you never know what will pop up!  This one posted in mixed sales forum with some other sketches one night and I grabbed it.