• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share Your Short Stuff - Digests, Half-sized, and Other Smaller Than Normal Golden Age Comics
2 2

115 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, AJD said:

Lots of Australian books were odd sizes and layouts. I really like this WW2 vintage paper saving Four Color #29 Australian reprint. It's 4 3/4" x 7 3/4" (or 12.5 cm x 19.7 cm)

AJ_mummy_front.jpg

Here is it beside a normal sized Dell:

Mummy_comparison.jpg

So cool! What is the print and color quality of the interiors?

On 4/30/2017 at 9:48 AM, buttock said:

20170430_074559.jpg

What a run!!! Wow! Love this cover! Why does Hitler have three swords? The little curls on the lizard men's boots are a nice touch, too.

On 5/1/2017 at 0:38 PM, Robot Man said:

How about an unusual Baker one?

comslashdoublecross_zpsotkyy6qj.jpg

Here's my copy and some interior shots. Other people have said Baker had a hand in this, but I'm not seeing it. What do the Baker experts say?

1slashd1.jpg.ebfaf7e3efc12f3ce65ba2f09aaac495.jpg

1slashd2.jpg.42d5e4dc5a4f64f2a188786aadb9b112.jpg

1slashd3.jpg.1e545706b90f9fdb6791dc23ac70f5ad.jpg

5 hours ago, BOOT said:

So cool! What is the print and color quality of the interiors?

The print quality is quite good, and the line work has survived the shrinking process. here's the back cover:

AJ_mummy_back.jpg

The colouring's a bit hit and miss in places - Donald's pink beak lower left is a bit odd. But unlike most early Australian comics the interior is in colour throughout, and it looks pretty nice.

Here's another Australian odd-sized comic. It's about an inch shorter than a normal GA comic, but in letterbox format it's much narrower. Popular Yank was an intermittent series of reprints of American newspaper strips. Sometimes they had numbers, but this one has no number or date. The size makes me think WW2 paper shortages, but I don't know for sure.

Popular%20Yank_zpsp1ddlsua.jpg

2 minutes ago, eccomic said:

Some very rare mini Canadian Whites. The complete set of four from my collection. :cloud9:

Mini Cdn Whites.jpg

BULLETMAN.jpg

CAPT MARVEL JR.jpg

GOLDEN ARROW.jpg

IBIS.jpg

What is the story behind these?Giveaways?Subscription premiums?

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

What is the story behind these?Giveaways?Subscription premiums?

They are given away in the early 1940s and were published in Toronto. They have black and white interiors, not unlike the Fawcett mini bread giveaways

2 minutes ago, eccomic said:

They are given away in the early 1940s and were published in Toronto. They have black and white interiors, not unlike the Fawcett mini bread giveaways

Thank you.Don't think you've posted them before?Great to see them.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:45 PM, eccomic said:

Very rare If the Devil Would talk mini ashcan comic in black and white from the Catechetical Guild from my collection, published in 1950. Only five know copies exist.

12043163_10156063846520481_5140590578860554469_n.jpg

Great comic! Here is a later mini ashcan from Pflaum's Treasure Chest for This Godless Communism...

1commieprototype.jpg.a17e5e9c2cec172cb859cae0505b5628.jpg

Edited by BOOT