• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Free Comic Book Day 2017
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2017 at 4:48 PM, Robot Man said:

This was her last year. She has grown a lot in a year!

blakelycomicbookday1_zpszz5jklqq.jpg

Pics or it didn't happen!

Took my 3 year old son Logan to his first comic book store today for the event.  he picked out the ninja turtles and animal jam books. I snagged the zelda, street fighter, secret empire and lady mechanika books. It was a really awesome day for me being able to take him and him be excited to actually be there and talk ( albeit like a 3 year old) about super heroes etc.

Went to 2 LCS for FCBD. 1 shop allowed u to select a kiddies bag or and adult bag of about 7 pre-chosen comics plus had a 35% off bin back issues sale and 20% off supplies and new issues. Next LCS let one choose up to 4 of your fave FCBD comics so I selected:

Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 reprint

2000 AD (Titan, UK publishing)

another Adam Hughes 'Betty and Veronica' as it had interior art also by Hughes,

and the Barbie (fashion) comic as an office giveaway. Was afraid 'Rick and Morty' by Oni Press may have too much swearing for the office. Great day, as lots of young families running in/out of the LCS. :whee:

Hit up four local LCS's, all were super packed with kids which was good to see. One lcs had Peter David and John Romita Jr. making an appearance. Just finished reading my free Star Trek TNG: Mirror Broken preview.  The mini series looks like it has potential.    Picked up a nice copy of Tales of the Teens Titans #44 with a sweet discount.   It was a fun day.

I took my 18 year old daughter to 4 shops yesterday, two in Bowling Green one in Owensboro and one in Evansville I think she is hooked (thumbsu she got most of what she wanted but we never did see Colorful Monsters, Hilda's Back, Tick or Spill Night which she wanted. We did buy some at every store she picked up some old Archie's and I picked up some Iron Man, X-Men and Wolverine to try and finish some of my run's on the original series also picked up a NM Devil Dinosaur #1 for four bucks

17 hours ago, kav said:

Pics or it didn't happen!

No pic this time kav. By the time we got home she was cranky and it was nap time. Her favorites this year: DC superhero girls, Sponge Bob, and the Turtles book. She was disappointed there was not a Superman book. I love the way she just digs in. No concern for condition just folds the pages back and runs her finger over the pictures. They probably won't last more than a week or two.

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

No pic this time kav. By the time we got home she was cranky and it was nap time. Her favorites this year: DC superhero girls, Sponge Bob, and the Turtles book. She was disappointed there was not a Superman book. I love the way she just digs in. No concern for condition just folds the pages back and runs her finger over the pictures. They probably won't last more than a week or two.

hahahaha oh man 

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Aren't they just awesome Gino? I've tried to steer her to Marvel but she prefers DC. 

They sure are brother!! Yeah I can't blame her Im the same way and My son likes both but Spiderman is his favorite!!! Just like Dad. I have a feeling many of the young gals that get into comics will like DC there are just so many lead female characters with the publisher right now. The comics she is holding is the perfect example!! As long as they are exposed they can make the ultimate decision for themselves that is what is important. Hopefully someday they dig deep enough to look into the history so they can enjoy and collect GA!!!! :wishluck:

Am I the only one disappointed with the offerings this year? Notable omissions, Walking Dead, Superman, Batman, Disney. Not much in the way of classic characters. I grabbed a bunch of varied titles but am not impressed. I've only read a couple but thumbing most just didn't really excite me. My favorites, Sponge Bob. Anybody else get the cover reference to Famous Funnies #1? Wonder Woman looks promising. Bongo is usually good. Image looks awfull but I have to try and read it to be honest. The Overstreet book is just a rehash of every other year and just about all ads for all their non-comic price guides.

The future of comics looks pretty bleak if this is any indication. What has happened to Archie? I haven't bought new comics for over 10 years and really know why. The art all looks an amine and the stories are lousy. If this is what $3.-$4 buys you for a 5 minute read, I'll pass.

I feel for comic book store owners. My LCS seems to only survive by selling action figures and gaming cards. How long will the movies keep our hobby alive and how many movie goers even buy new comics? I did my part by buying supplies (at a big discount).

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Am I the only one disappointed with the offerings this year? Notable omissions, Walking Dead, Superman, Batman, Disney. Not much in the way of classic characters. I grabbed a bunch of varied titles but am not impressed. I've only read a couple but thumbing most just didn't really excite me. My favorites, Sponge Bob. Anybody else get the cover reference to Famous Funnies #1? Wonder Woman looks promising. Bongo is usually good. Image looks awfull but I have to try and read it to be honest. The Overstreet book is just a rehash of every other year and just about all ads for all their non-comic price guides.

The future of comics looks pretty bleak if this is any indication. What has happened to Archie? I haven't bought new comics for over 10 years and really know why. The art all looks an amine and the stories are lousy. If this is what $3.-$4 buys you for a 5 minute read, I'll pass.

I feel for comic book store owners. My LCS seems to only survive by selling action figures and gaming cards. How long will the movies keep our hobby alive and how many movie goers even buy new comics? I did my part by buying supplies (at a big discount).

Spongebob had a few neat references. I liked the Katzenjammer Kids one. It also taught a valuable lesson that I think some "Mr. Krabs" collectors need to learn! :preach: lol

FCBD was interesting. Got a late start, but decided to first go to a "yard sale" advertised on Craigslist as having comics. Got there, it turned out to be one of those antique co-op things with no comics whatsoever. It didn't even appear that someone else had beat me to the comics as no one there could recall any comics there that day. 

Then it was the tale of the two different local comic shops. The first shop has two locations, but closed one and directed everyone to their mall location. There was a super long line, first time I had ever encountered this at FCBD. I was in line in back of a "special needs" young man and his mother was nearby, dismayed that the line was so long and that apparently they needed to be somewhere else. I tried to help as I got out of line and went into the shop and talked to the owner to see if they could get the young man into the shop any quicker. The owner wanted to help, but he mentioned that the line inside the store at the register was just as long, and that it was overly warm in the store ( I assume because of the volume of people) and that the young man might not be comfortable inside waiting. Instead of getting back in line, I decided to give this shop a pass (because of the length of the line) and go elsewhere.

I then went to another local shop in a mall and it was a totally different story. No wait at all, picked up three of the free books (2 were actually free, the third was 50 cents which is donated to a local library) and then started shopping. The 75 cent overstock books were 5 for $2 and the 25 cent books were 10 for a $1. Got some really good deals. My only problem with this shop is they were conducting some type of card playing tournament and the foul language was flying. In previous years, I had complained about this and the last couple of years the shop had secured an empty room in the mall for the card players. This year they apparently decided not to do that and there were several children within earshot of the language. I don't care about hearing the language myself, I hear worse from the kids on the back of my bus, but I hate to see younger kids exposed to that and for their parents to think that a comic shop is not a place for kids.

I found it interesting to compare how the first shop had been so successful at promoting FCBD, attracting many families with young children, while the second shop, while participating in FCBD, appeared not to target the day at new collectors so much as just at their existing fan base for comics.

the first shop i went to Memory Lane Comics in Wilmington NC had a line wrapped around their building. Waited about an hour but the owners had doughnuts and cosplay people outside to entertain the kids etc. They also gave away a bunch of stuff to the kids and my son for being so patient waiting. They had raffles and you were allowed 5 books and an extra if you shared their facebook page for the event. It was really well organized.

The second shop FanBoys, had chick fil a biscuits for customers and forst 100 people got bags filled with comics, coupons and graphic novels. 5 books per customer as well.

Both shops did really well.