• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2017 at 9:26 AM, valiantman said:

Since 1984 was 33 years ago, Albedo #2 is now the same age that Amazing Fantasy #15 was in 1995. :foryou:

Thinking about that. hm

That is weird about time back then like Golden Age Flash stopped publishing in 1951,but Silver Age Flash started in 1956.

So a whole 5 years back then is considered enough time to start a new age, while now books that came out in 1996 over 20 years ago are still considered Modern.

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:
On 6/1/2017 at 8:26 AM, valiantman said:

Since 1984 was 33 years ago, Albedo #2 is now the same age that Amazing Fantasy #15 was in 1995. :foryou:

Thinking about that. hm

That is weird about time back then like Golden Age Flash stopped publishing in 1951,but Silver Age Flash started in 1956.

So a whole 5 years back then is considered enough time to start a new age, while now books that came out in 1996 over 20 years ago are still considered Modern.

The "Modern Age" and other post-Bronze Age label are unnecessary.  We're using Olympic medals/metals for comic book ages... Why?  Plus... we ran out!  Copper isn't the "next metal" in sports... or anything. The Copper Age happened before the Bronze Age, if we're talking about civilizations. lol

Comics from the 1980s are just comics from the 1980s.  We all know them when we see a box... we don't have to ask ourselves if they're late-Bronze or early-Copper or full-Copper... they're just 1980s comics.

Comics from the 1990s... no need to determine if they're late-Copper or pre-Chromium or Modern Age... they're just 1990s comics.

Just use decades.  Problem solved.

But what will we debate?  Whether a new comic should be worth as much as a car?  hm

Yeah.  Probably that. lol

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

The "Modern Age" and other post-Bronze Age label are unnecessary.  We're using Olympic medals/metals for comic book ages... Why?  Plus... we ran out!  Copper isn't the "next metal" in sports... or anything. The Copper Age happened before the Bronze Age, if we're talking about civilizations. lol

Comics from the 1980s are just comics from the 1980s.  We all know them when we see a box... we don't have to ask ourselves if they're late-Bronze or early-Copper or full-Copper... they're just 1980s comics.

Comics from the 1990s... no need to determine if they're late-Copper or pre-Chromium or Modern Age... they're just 1990s comics.

Just use decades.  Problem solved.

But what will we debate?  Whether a new comic should be worth as much as a car?  hm

Yeah.  Probably that. lol

I thought the 90s were the TMPC Age and 2000-2010 the Variant Age

Just now, Drbearsec said:

lol....Too Many Printed Copies... Although I suppose TMFPC might be more appropriate...you can figure out the F easily ;-)

lol 

Considering the number of "swimsuit issues" and other tiny-waisted-big-chested comics of the day, I always assumed the 1990s would be the "CleavAge".

Just now, valiantman said:

lol 

Considering the number of "swimsuit issues" and other tiny-waisted-big-chested comics of the day, I always assumed the 1990s would be the "CleavAge".

That's a great one too!

3 minutes ago, Drbearsec said:

lol....Too Many Printed Copies... Although I suppose TMFPC might be more appropriate...you can figure out the F easily ;-)

1990 is really not part of the TMPC Age, 1997 is definitely not part of the TMPC Age, and 1999 sure as F :wink: is not part of the TMPC Age.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

lol 

That's a great one too!

But then Zenescope had to come along in the 2000s and knock the 1990s PG-13 comics into the kiddie section. :insane:

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:
9 minutes ago, Drbearsec said:

1990 is really not part of the TMPC Age, 1997 is definitely not part of the TMPC Age, and 1999 sure as F :wink: is not part of the TMPC Age.

Right... and the top books of the 1990s today aren't the "too many printed copies" books either.  The 1990s had plenty of overprinted books, but collectors don't want those.  The books in demand weren't overprinted.  Bone #1, Superman #75 Platinum, etc.  The comic ages are known for their top books.

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Defining an age would be categorized by the majority of the years.  Besides, I think Early marvel 90s X comics pretty printed enough to cover every other comic out there ;-)

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Right... and the top books of the 1990s today aren't the "too many printed copies" books either.  The 1990s had plenty of overprinted books, but collectors don't want those.  The books in demand weren't overprinted.  Bone #1, Superman #75 Platinum, etc.  The comic ages are known for their top books.

But even some of the 1,000,000+ print run books still do pretty well, even though their ceiling is capped by enormous supply.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't know....even some of the top books have significantly large print numbers that probably keep the price lower... Look at NM 98.  3 times the numbers in census as say BA12.  With as popular as deadpool is, I'd say that if there were the same number of census copies as BA12 we'd be talking it reaching similiar or higher levels.

i guess my point is there are plenty of valued comics from the 90 that people want in their PC and have because so many copies were created cheap.  Yes there are always exception such as Bone 1 and Supes 75 platinum, but the value of the books from the 90s as a whole is lower than others because of the large amount of printings.  

Defining an age would be categorized by the majority of the years.  Besides, I think Early marvel 90s X comics pretty printed enough to cover every other comic out there ;-)

2 years (1992-1993) out of 10, with a few titles with amazing print runs falling outside that range, isn't a majority.

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

2 years (1992-1993) out of 10, with a few titles with amazing print runs falling outside that range, isn't a majority.

Wow dude...way to take a fun joking conversation between myself and another poster (love the term CleavAGE) and suck all the fun and joy out of it.  Maybe take a different approach next time or learn to sense the lulz better.

I'll agree to disagree with your take on the 90s and leave it at that.

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

1993-1994 were the two years with ridiculous print runs. :foryou:

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

1993-1994 were the two years with ridiculous print runs. :foryou:

Well, the peak was really more like mid-late 1992 through early 1994. 1993 was the only full calendar year that was nuts. 1992 certainly had more individual issues with ridiculously high numbers than 1994, which is what this discussion is about.

On 2017-06-03 at 1:04 PM, Drbearsec said:

I don't know....even some of the top books have significantly large print numbers that probably keep the price lower... Look at NM 98.  3 times the numbers in census as say BA12.  With as popular as deadpool is, I'd say that if there were the same number of census copies as BA12 we'd be talking it reaching similiar or higher levels.

But NM 98 isn't the unusual book in this comparison. New Mutants wasn't a top-tier title and its sales were nothing special, but Batman Adventures was a comic adaptation of an animated adaptation - a minor, non-canonical series basically made for kids.

Plus, the census only tells us so much and NM 98 was worth submitting years before BA 12.

On 2017-06-03 at 1:04 PM, Drbearsec said:

i guess my point is there are plenty of valued comics from the 90 that people want in their PC and have because so many copies were created cheap.  Yes there are always exception such as Bone 1 and Supes 75 platinum, but the value of the books from the 90s as a whole is lower than others because of the large amount of printings.  

There is nothing special or historically unusual about the print runs or distribution numbers for most issues of most titles in the early 90s. Some major, long-running titles were even selling worse than they had been 5 years earlier, despite getting a slight bump from the overall market insanity. It's the record-breaking 8.X million selling X-Men (v.2) 1 and multi-million selling Superman (v.2) 75 that stood out, not X-Force 36 or Superman (v.2) 97.

By the late 90s, the print runs and distribution numbers of mainstream titles were historically unusual because they were so low.

BTW, Batman: The Killing Joke = large amount of printings, X-Force 1 = high print run.

Although some issues had massive print runs, they do retain some value. I find it interesting that the Poly-Bagged Platinum variant of Superman #75 sells for over $300 - despite the fact that copies regularly appear for sale.

Edited by World Devourer