• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Francisco Comic Con - September 1-3: Bruce Timm, Bill Sienkiewicz, Josh Middleton

48 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2017 at 1:14 PM, shortboxed said:

Just swung by the con real quick during my lunch break to drop my sketchbook off for a commission, but I will say it's nice to have a con back in San Francisco. It may not be WonderCon but it's better than the alternative, which is nothing. 

Wish there were more comic book dealers, but the artist lineup is killer! 

Who sketched for you?  That line-up was really great.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:11 PM, Robot Man said:

Many thanks! As I suspected very little in the way of vintage comic dealers. The fact that there wasn't an exhibitor list posted on the website, backs this up. I would be more than a little upset to make a 6 hour drive for another con like this. I guess it fits the bill for those who want autographs and cosplay but little to offer for comic book collectors and dealers. This is NO WonderCon folks. I will be happy to attend that one as well as comic centric shows like the Berkley Con and Terry O'Neil's Yorba Linda show for my comic buying...

What are you talking about? We had the exhibitor list on the website for weeks.(shrug)

From our perspective, it was a fantastic show! Thanks to those who attended (attendees and exhibitors!). It was an easy venue in terms of layout, which helps us a lot.

I haven't heard a ton of post-con sales reports, but the ones that I have heard have ALL been positive. From what I can determine, attendees were buying. CGC's booth was packed all weekend. All of our guest creators did very well. The guest artist section was a madhouse all weekend. We're very pleased with the convention. It was a lot of fun to put on, and we can't wait to do it all again! :smile:

20 hours ago, KingOfRulers1 said:

From our perspective, it was a fantastic show! Thanks to those who attended (attendees and exhibitors!). It was an easy venue in terms of layout, which helps us a lot.

I haven't heard a ton of post-con sales reports, but the ones that I have heard have ALL been positive. From what I can determine, attendees were buying. CGC's booth was packed all weekend. All of our guest creators did very well. The guest artist section was a madhouse all weekend. We're very pleased with the convention. It was a lot of fun to put on, and we can't wait to do it all again! :smile:

Overall I had a great time! It's good to have a con back in San Francisco. Some feedback:

• Bigger artist alley - more artists and creators! Many of the creators were selling out of prints, books, and commissions by Saturday. Don't stick them in the far back. At the first SFCC they were in the middle of the room and that was great, making creators the center of attention.
  • More LOCAL creators. If we can't have a local organizer bring a big con to the city, at least invite more local creators. APE is not what it once was - bring back everyone who used to table there. 
  • More actual comic book dealers. Self explanatory.
  • This one is more of a personal complaint, but why don't cons prevent dealers/people with dealer badges from lining up before doors open? 3 days in a row I arrived early and was near the front of the line to get in so I could try to get a Bruce Timm commission, and each day I made a mad dash to his table once doors opened and should have been one of the first people, only to find 20 people with dealer badges already standing there. I chatted with a lot of people who did the same each day and no one was able to get a sketch from him because dealers always lined up before doors opened. Perhaps this is something that should be addressed to Bruce Timm's group, but I also feel it could be handled by con organizers better. 

6 hours ago, shortboxed said:
  • This one is more of a personal complaint, but why don't cons prevent dealers/people with dealer badges from lining up before doors open? 3 days in a row I arrived early and was near the front of the line to get in so I could try to get a Bruce Timm commission, and each day I made a mad dash to his table once doors opened and should have been one of the first people, only to find 20 people with dealer badges already standing there. I chatted with a lot of people who did the same each day and no one was able to get a sketch from him because dealers always lined up before doors opened. Perhaps this is something that should be addressed to Bruce Timm's group, but I also feel it could be handled by con organizers better. 

Agree, that's really unfair.

The entry prior to opening was problematic.  Everyone lined up in "self-policed" single file lines, and then the staff came along and told everyone to push over and tighten the lines against the wall.  That ruined the lines and while I gained a few hundred places in line, others were cut and lost.  They need to set something up like the area in front of the ticket purchase counters.  Rope the area into specific lines.

The artist attendance was great.  Grading companies being there was great.  While meeting actors is not my thing, I did enjoy walking to the back and getting glimpses of Cary Elwes and Summer Glau.

I feel there was a lack of actual comics dealers.  Bunky Brothers seemed to be the only GA dealer.  Everyone else had some Silver but mostly Bronze.  Not really any selection of modern stuff (which is a HUGE surprise).  Maybe I'm just spoiled by the internet?