• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smell
1 1

18 posts in this topic

If you can smell the book from 2-5 feet away then the answer is yes.

If the book smells of smoke then it effects grade even more if I am correct. 

If you have a smelly book I recommend putting some microchamer paper between the covers and center. Then seal the book in a mylar bag for a few days or week. Then let the book air out of the bag for a day or two. This has worked for me in the past.

You can also place the book in a sealed container with some baking soda in a small dish and let it site for a week.

This should at the very least reduce the smell enough that it's not over powering and noticable from a far.

14 hours ago, Philflound said:

Smell does not affect the grade. Odor may be listed as a defect, but it does not detract at all.

I thought if a book reaks of smoke it will effect the grade? 

5 hours ago, grayzr said:

I thought if a book reaks of smoke it will effect the grade? 

In some old thread it was stated that smell doesn't affect the CGC grade - not even smell of tobacco smoke. So defects need to be seen with the naked eye (I don't know if heavy smoking may affect page quality hm ).

One of my friends actually discarded hundreds of his comic books because they smelled of cigarette smoke doh! 

Edited by Rune

There are a lot of ideas on the internet about this as relates mostly to books but it would apply to comics also. I bought a beautiful GA book off of Ebay a while back that had a very strong smell. I tried baking soda, crumpled up newspaper, fans, hand-wiping, dryer sheets and a few concoctions of my own. Nothing did nothing until I put a sheet of microchamber paper between every page (microchamber paper is very thin) and sealed it in a large plastic bag for two weeks. Afterward, no smell. It make work in a shorter time than 2 weeks and it may work without sealing in a bag but I did not have another smelly book so I did not  experiment. The paper is available on the web from Conservation Resources International (conservationresources.com). Good luck.

You can air out a book and can reduce or eliminate cigarette smell. Cat urine is the worst of everything and is disgusting. Mildew isn't pleasant either. Some people put some kind of dryer sheets or something similar to get a flowery smell on a book. Probably used to mask something nasty. When I had video games, the old Atari boxes, if they smelled like cigarettes, I would put them on the air conditioner and have it sit there for a day opened. I don't know how well a comic would fair as the pages would flutter and may bend.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:15 PM, Brian48 said:

Aren't some pedigrees identified by unique smells?

PENNSYLVANIA - The Pennsylvania collection surfaced about 15 years ago and was bought by Steve Geppi. Pennsylvania copies are well-known in the market, but very few collectors are familiar with its origin. Unfortunately, Geppi does not recall many of the specifics surrounding the discovery of the collection due to the length of time that has passed. According to Geppi, a woman came to a convention in Philadelphia in the late 70's to sell some Golden Age comics. Word got back to Geppi, who tracked her down. He bought the collection, which consisted of several hundred comics from the early 1940's (1941-1945). Because the collection began after 1940 many of the prime Golden Age keys were not present, but the grade was extremely high. The books also had a characteristic smell to their pages. The collection was split up and sold later. Bob Overstreet purchased a rather sizable chunk of the collection, where it remained until recently when his comics were put up for sale.

IDENTIFICATION-Identifying a Pennsylvania involves simply locating a "P" written on the cover. The "P" sometimes looks more like an "R", probably from the quick handwriting of the distributor. Another way to identify Pennsylvanias is by their pages' characteristic smell. If ever in doubt of a Pennsylvania's authenticity, Steve Geppi is one collector who can probably identify it.

I could still smell comics in my nostrils for a couple days after going to the Motor City Comic Con last week

it was a GOLDEN/SILVER AGE scent, a mixed, slightly sweet odor , almost as if it was being pumped into the building, and it was intoxicating.........

There is a difference between a smell and a stink. I love the smell of an old comic but have encountered some comics that stunk so bad I didn't want to be near them. A comic that got wet and dried out can even develop mold. IMO, a book that smells like smoke should not be kept or collected. It contaminates everything close to it.

5 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

If a books stinks really bad I won't buy it. In my opinion it should affect the grade.

I've seen it mentioned in grading notes.  I assume if it's in the notes, it lowered the grade. 

14 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

I could still smell comics in my nostrils for a couple days after going to the Motor City Comic Con last week

it was a GOLDEN/SILVER AGE scent, a mixed, slightly sweet odor , almost as if it was being pumped into the building, and it was intoxicating.........

Get a room you two.