• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELLBOY!! Movie reboot
3 3

209 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I just watched this last night for the first time too.

Not a horrible film. But I think part of the contributor to its box office results was they tried to jump around too much to convey the wider horror world of Hellboy, which may have been offsetting to general movie-goers. I'm a hardcore fan and was asking myself why they were throwing so many comic book stories into one film so rapidly. Including the appearance of Lobster Johnson ( :whee:) that really could have been a sequel focus.

Just my thoughts.

I agree 100%.

The wonderful complicated tapestry of the world of Hellboy SHOULDN'T BE CRAMMED into 1 movie.  It should be episodic story telling just like the comic is.  Having said that, I have to admit it was pretty cool to see Lobster Johnson.

Just now, gadzukes said:

I agree 100%.

The wonderful complicated tapestry of the world of Hellboy SHOULDN'T BE CRAMMED into 1 movie.  It should be episodic story telling just like the comic is.  Having said that, I have to admit it was pretty cool to see Lobster Johnson.

It turns out Mike Mignola tried to step in and re-write parts of the -script. But the producers went back to what they wanted.

CBM: I know you worked on an early version of a Hellboy screenplay; can you tell us what that would have entailed or adapted?

MM: I was basically contacted and they said, 'We're going to do another film and this is the storyline we're going to do.' They always had in mind that they were going to do the Wild Hunt storyline. I got a really rough breakdown, not a -script, of what they wanted to do and I went in on that right away and said, 'Well, if you're going to do this storyline, lose this piece, add this piece, move this piece, cut this piece' and then it just went on really for years tinkering with that. You know, do we add this character, is Abe Sapien going to be in it? 

It must have been, God knows, dozens and dozens of versions of the -script and at one point, I did step in with Christopher Golden who has written novels with me before, we stepped in and wrote a couple of drafts of the screenplay and then it went back to Andrew [Cosby]. I've been involved so much at so many different stages and I would walk away from it for months and then come back in and give my notes again. It's hard to say what I did and didn't do but it was a long process of getting the -script we eventually got. In fact, between shooting in the UK and Bulgaria, I had three or four days sitting in an office with Andrew and worked on the -script yet again and did rewrites literally the day before we were shooting stuff so, you know, it just got worked on a lot!

But it was cool to see Thomas Haden Church (Spider-Man 3's Sandman) as Lobster Johnson. Though poorly crammed into a packed film.

CBM: How happy did it make you to see Lobster Johnson brought to the big screen at last and what did you think about Thomas Haden Church being chosen to play him?

MM: Again, it was something I could never imagine happening. They did ask me what I thought about casting for Lobster Johnson and I literally had no idea. To me, these characters exist so much as characters in my head or visuals on paper, the idea of coming up for a voice for him, I couldn't even imagine. So, when they mentioned Haden Church, I was just excited because he's so interesting. There was another actor they had talked about that I think would have been too strange and too odd in there but when they came up with his name I said, 'Yes, that guy can do anything, he's really interesting, and that's cool.' What was really weird, well, not weird but it was one of those problems that thank God I was paying attention to, I was contacted really early on when we wrestled with how we would recap Hellboy's origin. Del Toro had done it in the first film and the producer said that Neil [Marshall] really wanted to shoot that origin sequence and do it just like the comic and even wants to use this character from the comic, The Torch of Liberty. That character is actually one I borrowed from another comic creator, it's not my character. Thank God they mentioned that to me so I could say, 'Oh no, don't use that guy...I don't own that character!' [Laughs] However, had I created Lobster Johnson way back when, I would have used him in that scene so that's how he got into the movie. They wanted to use this other character but I said to use Lobster Johnson instead. I'm thrilled to have gotten him into the film, thrilled to have gotten Baba Yaga in the film. That's what I'm excited about with this version as it represents so many things from the comic and gives you a bigger sense of that Hellboy world. 

Hellboy-3.jpg

Finally got to see this film. Somewhere in what they released is a decent film. Though as a hardcore Hellboy fan this wasn't terrible. The story just didn't come together solidly. And we finally got Lobster Johnson, which was really cool.

But they did have an interesting soundtrack to complement the scenes. I'll give them that. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's Beat the Devil's Tattoo is a fitting song for this film.

Edited by Bosco685

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Finally got to see this film. Somewhere in what they released is a decent film. Though as a hardcore Hellboy fan this wasn't terrible. The story just didn't come together solidly. And we finally got Lobster Johnson, which was really cool.

But they did have an interesting soundtrack to complement the scenes. I'll give them that. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's Beat the Devil's Tattoo is a fitting song for this film.

I thought you watched this last July.

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Say what?

32 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Say what?

What Hellboy stories do you lean on the most as your reference point?

Meanwhile, you could see how Mignola's source material was influence the story here. But then the producers taking back the film from the director and making it a series of scenes thrown together for effect without a logical story killed it for this film.

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What Hellboy stories do you lean on the most as your reference point?

Meanwhile, you could see how Mignola's source material was influence the story here. But then the producers taking back the film from the director and making it a series of scenes thrown together for effect without a logical story killed it for this film.

More studio tampering? Wasn't aware of that.

It's a matter of 'too much, too soon' for me.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

More studio tampering? Wasn't aware of that.

It's a matter of 'too much, too soon' for me.

They seemed to get last-minute jitters and removed him from the editing process so they could finalize the film for themselves. Because - you know - being a producer means you are a master director.

:facepalm:

Hellboy BTS Drama Reportedly Involved Clashes Between Director & Producers

According to The Wrap, Marshall and producers Lawrence Gordon and Lloyd Levin allegedly clashed often while making the film. Levin and Gordon supposedly tried to wrestle control of the film from Marshall, with Levin noted for interrupting Marshall frequently in front of the crew during rehearsals, sometimes giving different directions than the director. Levin and Gordon were also said to have fired Marshall's frequent cinematographer, Sam McCurdy, for doing what Marshall had asked of him. Harbour, who has the lead role, was said to have walked off the set "frequently" and refused Marshall's requests for more takes.

Disputes between Marshall, Gordon and Levin had reportedly gotten so bad that there was a debate over the look of a tree featured often throughout Hellboy. The report said Marshall wanted a tree that looked real and was asymmetric, with Levin insisting on a symmetric tree. And once Marshall delivered his cut of the film, the producers allegedly took over.

An attorney for Levin has denied the report, noting that firing McCurdy was a "private matter" that had nothing to do with sending a message to Marshall, and labeled the film's supposed production issues as part of the process. He even went so far as to declare the report a "puff piece" for Marshall while tarnishing his client. Marshall declined to comment, as did Harbour and McShane.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

:facepalm:

The same reaction that I have any time a studio does this.

I fear that 'In the Multiverse of Madness' will be the MCU's largest creative failure, based on how big they've become, because of the fallout with Derrickson.

Just let the f-ing directors direct.

Wow!

If you're feeling as your temperature is on the rise, it could be because STRANGER THINGS and BLACK WIDOW actor David Harbour is once again fanning the flames of judgement with regard to the overall failure of Neil Marshall's HELLBOY, in which Harbour played the title character. Recently while participating in an Instagram live event, Harbour explained,

“I think it failed before we began shooting because I think that people didn’t want us to make the movie.” Harbour then added, “Guillermo del Toro and Ron Perlman created this iconic thing that we thought could be reinvented and then [fans] certainly — the loudness of the internet was like, ‘We do not want you to touch this.’ And then we made a movie that I think is fun and I think had its problems but was a fun movie, and then people were just very, very against it. That’s people’s right, but I learned my lesson in a lot of different ways.”

To give credit where it's due, I think Harbour pretty much hit the nail on the head with his above observations about the HELLBOY reboot. When looking at the numbers, you'll find that Marshall's HELLBOY only banked a global return of $44 million against the film's $50 million dollar budget. $21 million of that worldwide gross hails from domestic sales, which is quite telling when determining the film's ability to please fans of creator Mike Mignola's classic character.

Not long after the film's April, 2019 launch, and box office returns were far from what those involved with the project had hoped for, Harbour stated that the reboot was "unfairly bludgeoned" due to moviegoers comparing every major release to Marvel movies. And while an argument can certainly be made to back up Harbour's claim, it's rather bold to point the finger when even die hard fans of the character failed to show an interest in Marshall's version.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Wow!

Sorry, Mr. Harbour, it failed because the movie was a hysterical disaster. The effects weren't up to a sci fi channel original, the acting was horrid and the plot was nonsensical. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the movie, but because it's so bad it's good.

It needs a Rifftrax!

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

No. My comment was RE: "fans didn't want us to make it".

This Hellboy wasn't bad. To me, it was that producers-director feud going on where the way they ended up piecing this together it didn't feel like a smoothly told story.

But you did get Lobster Johnson making a few appearances ( :banana:), all the crazy mythological and folklore characters Mignola loves to insert in his Hellboy and BPRD stories, and another part of Hellboy's background on the big screen. But I really think Mignola stepped on it assuming people wanted a reboot versus closing the chapter with a Hellboy 3. The way he shut down del Toro after that massive response from fans was a missed opportunity.

28 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This Hellboy wasn't bad. To me, it was that producers-director feud going on where the way they ended up piecing this together it didn't feel like a smoothly told story.

But you did get Lobster Johnson making a few appearances ( :banana:), all the crazy mythological and folklore characters Mignola loves to insert in his Hellboy and BPRD stories, and another part of Hellboy's background on the big screen. But I really think Mignola stepped on it assuming people wanted a reboot versus closing the chapter with a Hellboy 3. The way he shut down del Toro after that massive response from fans was a missed opportunity.

You're right - it wasn't bad. It was whoop-diddy-scoop poop.

Ron Perlman has shared that he declined a role in the recent Hellboy reboot. The original Big Red revealed that he was asked back to play the eponymous anti-hero, but declined due to the fact director Guillermo del Toro wasn’t involved. 

“The only thing that’s stopping the third Hellboy film is the fact that Guillermo [del Toro] is one of the busiest guys in the business,” Perlman told ComicBookMovie.com. “The reboot was something I had the opportunity to participate in and decided that the only version of Hellboy I’m interested in is the one I do with Guillermo and so in walking away from it I truly walked away from it, and haven’t seen it or heard much about it.” The actor added, “I wished them well, but it was not in my bailiwick.”

It’s certainly heartwarming to hear Perlman stand by his longtime collaborator del Toro, after the pair created cult classics with critical acclaim in the form of 2004’s Hellboy and it’s sequel Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for the 2019 reboot directed by Neil Marshall. The movie was poorly received, and Total Film’s own Chris Schilling called it “disjointed and messy in every sense.” While some may give Stranger Thing’s David Harbour the benefit of the doubt as the lead, Hellboy won’t be making our list of best superhero movies anytime soon.