• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your first book when you returned to comics?
3 3

36 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

i1cf0n.jpg

Loved that series! One of the most underrated characters ever created.

Rom was one of the first series I collected. Bought Rom 20 from a convenience store while on vacation at Cape Cod. Still have that copy. 

17 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:

What was your first book when you returned to comics?

My story is a familiar one: I collected comics as a boy, outgrew them, then returned to them as an adult.

In my case my initial readership was the 70's, then came back around 2008. What brought me back was wandering into an LCS, seeing an Avengers Annual #7 and remembering how much I loved that story, so I bought it again. It was fun to be reading again so I decided it was time to come back, torture my LCS guy with stories of all the great stuff I used to own, and maybe buy a few of the books I could't afford back in the day.

I know many of you have similar stories. What brought you back, and what was your first new purchase?

Avengers_Annual_Vol_1_7.jpg

True story my late grandfather use to read that comic book to me when I was a little kid. (thumbsu

I never stopped buying modern "floppies" during my comic book malaise, but didn't buy back issues and really picked up only a handful of titles per month (e.g ASM, Silver Surfer V3). My focus was on completing my Engineering Degree, my career, and visits to the pub.

Around 2005, I stumbled across some early ASMs (Ditko) on eBay and decided to complete the ASM run that I started pre internet. Those books are long gone, as I've upgraded them.

I then found this place. I'm much poorer (spend it on cool books), know more about the hobby, and have a pretty cool albeit small collection.

Stopped collecting around 1978/1979 or so when wrestling, football, and girls became my priorities in 7th/8th grade. Stored the books away and dragged them with me when we moved to Florida in 1984. Only time I messed with them was when I needed to rebag them -- adding backing boards to the equation in 1990. Sold a handful here and there along the way. But I was really out of the hobby until I was prepping to move to Arizona- trying to avoid bringing all those boxes on the move with me. Found this forum while researching how to best sell a collection. The forum sparked my interest in books - albeit a bit late as I sold off some books I wish I had kept in retrospect.

Not sure if my first book added to the collection in many years was a RAK from this forum or an ebay purchase. Might have happened around the same time. The RAK had some Daredevil books (16 & 29) that sparked me back into collecting that title. But the books I first got from ebay were a couple of TOS (84 & 88), though my main push when getting back was to complete my Thor collection. It was as if I never stopped collecting as my focus was almost the same as when I stopped-- just that now I had the cash and access to the books thanks to ebay. There were no real LCS around my area that I knew of very well in the mid seventies. Several years later and the Thor 101-343 run is pretty much complete except some JIM issues I continue to hunt for (102, 105, 106, 107-- gave up on trying to get 83-100 and bought a TPB instead). Daredevil-- same story-- save a couple of keys and issues 1-7 (picked up the Marvel Super Heroes reprints for now). Moved on to Strange Tales. Closing in on finishing off my Kirby Fourth world books (only a handful of Demon books and a few SPJO books left to go). It has been fun though -- the hardest part is trying to not let it get out of control.

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Loved that series! One of the most underrated characters ever created.

I feel the same way, it was a continuing story line from beginning to end and at one point or another almost everyone in the Marvel Universe appeared.

Best part, in the 6 + years of the title there was only one book that crossed over that you needed to buy from another characters title to read the entire story. (PM + IF #73)

(Unlike the Onslaught saga that turned me off of new comics completely)

1 minute ago, marvelmaniac said:

I feel the same way, it was a continuing story line from beginning to end and at one point or another almost everyone in the Marvel Universe appeared.

Best part, in the 6 + years of the title there was only one book that crossed over that you needed to buy from another characters title to read the entire story. (PM + IF #73)

It would make for a great TV series or movie.

Like many here, I stopped collecting and reading in high school due to typical reasons, but also my favorite books were changing direction at the time (post-Byrne and 2nd Cockrum X-men, post-Miller Daredevil era) so it seemed like a good time to stop. Fast forward to 2009 and I took my kids to a local comic-con (my wife's recommendation - i didn't even want to go initially!) and I immediately started craving all these books I 'wanted' as a kid - What If?1, early Defenders, early Avengers ... except this time I could afford to buy them! Image her surprise when I came home with a long-box full of comics and most were for me.

My wife still regrets that it she was the one who indirectly got me back into comics ;)

35 minutes ago, Hekla said:

but also my favorite books were changing direction at the time (post-Byrne and 2nd Cockrum X-men, post-Miller Daredevil era) so it seemed like a good time to stop.

Same thing here. That change from Bronze to Copper circa '80-'81 was a real harsh one, and the art just went into the toilet on most titles - even ASM was bad and stuff like Avengers and MTU was unreadable. Things picked up a year or so later, but I was long gone.

3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

That's what made me drop Fables as a monthly floppy.  "The Great Fables Crossover" a few years back.  Had to buy "Jack of Fables" and some other title to read the story.  Went to trades at that point.

10 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Rom was one of the first series I collected. Bought Rom 20 from a convenience store while on vacation at Cape Cod. Still have that copy. 

Loved Rom, was one of the titles I got in the mail every month :applause:

34 minutes ago, mrc said:

Getting a home PC was my entry back into comics around 15yrs ago and this was the starting point for me...... a book I'd hankered after for years.

bats251b.jpg

Quite a way to return, with one of the best comics of the Bronze Age. :golfclap:

21 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Quite a way to return, with one of the best comics of the Bronze Age. :golfclap:

Thanks Ken. I already had the story in the UK hardcover Batman Annual 1986 but I knew I had to have the real thing!

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, Jeffro. said:

My father brought that book home a lot, when I was growing up.

Even got the doll for one of my birthdays.

Of course my sister broke it so I couldn't have too much with it. lol 

On 5/12/2017 at 7:35 PM, chrisco37 said:

That's what made me drop Fables as a monthly floppy.  "The Great Fables Crossover" a few years back.  Had to buy "Jack of Fables" and some other title to read the story.  Went to trades at that point.

When I read the entire Fables run acouple of years ago, the Jack of Fables crossover was the most brutal part to get through.  In hindsight it probably could have been skipped as it adds very little to the overall narative.