• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, prez said:

Yeah, that sucks for collectors who has the yellow label OCD. However, I don't see why these fans can't still say "hi" and have a pleasant chat with him when they see him at a show. I know, life isn't fair.

With all the great things that Jim Starlin has done for the hobby and the enjoyment he brought to us fans, I think he deserves a little bit of our respect and understanding. 

Respect for what?

Yeah, CGC completely dropped the ball by not simply paying him when he went to their booth.

But the fact that his very first FB post was a general rant about grading companies & slabbing books, how they are a scam and rip off customers, and now suddenly he's announcing that he'll happily sign books for the other grading companies, means that I have a very hard time taking his "principles" seriously.

All over a measly 3 books - jeez :eyeroll:

1 minute ago, mschmidt said:

Respect for what?

Yeah, CGC completely dropped the ball by not simply paying him when he went to their booth.

But the fact that his very first FB post was a general rant about grading companies & slabbing books, how they are a scam and rip off customers, and now suddenly he's announcing that he'll happily sign books for the other grading companies, means that I have a very hard time taking his "principles" seriously.

All over a measly 3 books - jeez :eyeroll:

Rant against CGC on the internet?! My gawd, this has never happened before! Bring out the pitchforks! 

Man, these CGC fanboys need to grow some kahunas...

1 minute ago, prez said:

Rant against CGC on the internet?! My gawd, this has never happened before! Bring out the pitchforks! 

Wow - you truly missed my point by about a mile.

49 minutes ago, prez said:

I feel like there is way more meat on his calling CGC a bunch of scam artist and all of us a bunch of dupes then him not getting someone's name from CGC or stiffed out of a few bucks.  The more and more I look at it from various angles the worse he looks.

And it just got worse...

From the Facebook page of Jim Starlin:

MY FELLOW FREELANCERS, if any of you have ever had trouble with CGC at a convention and want to do something about it, feel free to copy and paste this letter from a lawyer that Spencer Beck provided. Sign your name and send it via certified mail to CGC.

May 16, 2017

CGC
PO Box 4738
Sarasota, FL 34230
Attn: Chief Executive Officer

Dear Sirs:

Effective immediately, please cease and desist from using my name in any marketing, promotional or other materials.  Please also do not use my name to solicit business for your company or in any way to advance your own commercial interests/profits.  My name is valuable to me and I do not authorize you to use it in commerce.

Additionally, I no longer wish to be involved with your “Signature Series” and do not authorize or consent to someone employed, affiliated or related to your company (or an independent contractor working in any manner related to your company) from witnessing my signatures.  I ask that you instruct your employees not to act as a witness and to identify themselves to me as I will not sign items if I understand they are to be verified by CGC or made part of your Signature Series.

I would also appreciate it if this was noted on your website as well so my fans are not disappointed.

Thank you for your prompt attention and understanding. 

Edited by Chuck Gower

Thanks Chuck - I was just on my way to post that info.  Does he basically promote a complete boycott of CGC by other artists (freelancers).  Dude is flipping out over fees for 3 signed books???  You would think CGC ran over his dog or something.

"I would also appreciate it if this was noted on your website as well so my fans are not disappointed."

Where does he want that info listed?  Big banner in the SS description?  A picture of Starlin with a big crossed out x mark? 

24 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

And it just got worse...

From the Facebook page of Jim Starlin:

MY FELLOW FREELANCERS, if any of you have ever had trouble with CGC at a convention and want to do something about it, feel free to copy and paste this letter from a lawyer that Spencer Beck provided. Sign your name and send it via certified mail to CGC.

May 16, 2017

CGC
PO Box 4738
Sarasota, FL 34230
Attn: Chief Executive Officer

Dear Sirs:

Effective immediately, please cease and desist from using my name in any marketing, promotional or other materials.  Please also do not use my name to solicit business for your company or in any way to advance your own commercial interests/profits.  My name is valuable to me and I do not authorize you to use it in commerce.

Additionally, I no longer wish to be involved with your “Signature Series” and do not authorize or consent to someone employed, affiliated or related to your company (or an independent contractor working in any manner related to your company) from witnessing my signatures.  I ask that you instruct your employees not to act as a witness and to identify themselves to me as I will not sign items if I understand they are to be verified by CGC or made part of your Signature Series.

I would also appreciate it if this was noted on your website as well so my fans are not disappointed.

Thank you for your prompt attention and understanding. 

Now he just looks like a clown lol

32 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I feel like there is way more meat on his calling CGC a bunch of scam artist and all of us a bunch of dupes then him not getting someone's name from CGC or stiffed out of a few bucks.  The more and more I look at it from various angles the worse he looks.

He's definitely upset. The only difference between his rant vs your typical anti-slabbing keyboard warrior is he can actually do something about it.