• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

"....get more milage from a cheap pair of sneaka's....--it's still rock'n'roll to me..." glad to hear a success story every once in a while

^^

You know what's funny? I sorely wish I had discovered pressing in 2000, instead of 2009 or so. Had that been the case, things would have been a LOT different...a lot of these issues were fixable, and have been fixed, since then. That Turtles #3? Easily fixed by a good press job. Not "9.4" fixed, but at least 9.0, which I would have been fine with.

Ah well...live and learn, and it's a LOT LOT better with pressing. My blood pressure thanks me. ;)

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

You know what? St Marks Comics in NYC sucks, too. As someone who got back in the hobby after a 30 year absence, I've found CGC's 3rd party grading/restoration check to be a huge value. 

Agreed...without CGC, your odds are maybe 50/50 of getting a book with undisclosed resto. Hell, I just bought a Golden Age book with a friend last year that was a beautiful copy...I said it was a 6.5 or so...

Came back "top right edge trimmed, small glue on several pages"...oh, and a 6.5

Sigh.

WITH CGC, the odds are maybe 1 in 10,000 that a Universal book with resto will have escaped.

Huge advantage.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

:gossip: 

Addiction.

And, as you and many people know, most people won't say anything unless they're reallllly unhappy. Many collectors don't care.

That's why the "no one has ever had a problem with me before!" rings TRUE. Someone could consistently sell 6.5-8.0 books as "NM/M", and get away with it...and may not even be aware of it...for a very, very long time.

Hell, I bought a Strange Tales #178 in 2015 that I didn't check until a couple of months ago...too busy. Opened up the package, expecting a decent upper mid-grade book...and it's been color touched.

I won't go back to the seller and demand anything...due diligence on my part didn't happen...but I will, at some point, let them know. $30+ for a mid-grade ST #178 with color touch that's worth, what...$2 as is? My loss. How much of this happens every single day, with no one the wiser...?

That's why slabbing has been such a boon. Those of us who DO care have an outlet...and those who don't, need not be bothered with it.

Lest you think it's all bad, I'll relate a win: in 2003-ish, I bought an entire long box of every Punisher appearance from ASM #129-up to about 1995, for $300 off of eBay.

When I got it, I looked over the books...and was stunned by the breathtaking condition of #135. Far and away the nicest copy I had ever seen.

Couple of minor dings and dents that I pressed out. Subbed it at Baltimore last year...got a 9.8. Sold it for $1400. :D

That one book paid for the whole box, 4 times over. So, it's not all bad. ;)

Wow, I would have loved to have found a 135 like that :cloud9:

Reading through the various Facebook threads on this topic, mostly the ones started by Jim, aside from the people misunderstanding what Jim is saying and what Jim is planning to do, you've got a gathering of malcontents, castoffs and Hall of Shame members joining the chorus. Mores axes getting a fine grinding than the annual lumberjack's festival.

One of the most prolific posters on this topic is Tony Pomilla. His erudite and mature commentary has run the gamut of "your mom" to " your sister" to "f@#^$ CGC".

Don't recognize Tony's name....well maybe you'll remember his CGC forum screen name....Solarcadet.

Solarcadet, he of the faked father's death to avoid responsibility in a comic book deal. 

Solarcadet, the 13th member of the CGC forum Hall of Shame.....right before Robert Beerbohm. Who's also lending his typical fever dream-style of stream of unconsciousness posting to those threads as well.

So, anyone who's unfortunately run across Tony Pomilla on those threads. Now you know who you're dealing with. If he questions your honor, your honesty, or demands anything from you...just remember who he really is.  

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Reading through the various Facebook threads on this topic, mostly the ones started by Jim, aside from the people misunderstanding what Jim is saying and what Jim is planning to do, you've got a gathering of malcontents, castoffs and Hall of Shame members joining the chorus. Mores axes getting a fine grinding than the annual lumberjack's festival.

One of the most prolific posters on this topic is Tony Pomilla. His erudite and mature commentary has run the gamut of "your mom" to " your sister" to "f@#^$ CGC".

Don't recognize Tony's name....well maybe you'll remember his CGC forum screen name....Solarcadet.

Solarcadet, he of the faked father's death to avoid responsibility in a comic book deal. 

Solarcadet, the 13th member of the CGC forum Hall of Shame.....right before Robert Beerbohm. Who's also lending his typical fever dream-style of stream of unconsciousness posting to those threads as well.

So, anyone who's unfortunately run across Tony Pomilla on those threads. Now you know who you're dealing with. If he questions your honor, your honesty, or demands anything from you...just remember who he really is.  

link?

24 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Reading through the various Facebook threads on this topic, mostly the ones started by Jim, aside from the people misunderstanding what Jim is saying and what Jim is planning to do, you've got a gathering of malcontents, castoffs and Hall of Shame members joining the chorus. Mores axes getting a fine grinding than the annual lumberjack's festival...

The last few pages of this thread have turned it from a discussion on the Jim Starlin topic and into "more axes getting a fine grinding than the annual lumberjack festival" thread.  The thread took an off-ramp.

Jim's posts can be found off of his page

Jim Starlin on FB.

Here are just a couple of Solarcadet's streams of commentary. There are many many more...especially like the first one.

Profanity redacted.

FB post 2 redact.jpg

FB post 1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

The last few pages of this thread have turned it from a discussion on the Jim Starlin topic and into "more axes getting a fine grinding than the annual lumberjack festival" thread.  The thread took an off-ramp.

It did, I agree....but reading those FB threads and comment threads we haven't even begun to approach what's going on there. There are a couple of CGC-fans who are savagely insulting Starlin, which is unacceptable. There are several posters using this as a soap box-pretext to savage CGC. There are even more comic "purists" seeing it as a stance against slabbing. It's a navel-gazing self-interested mess. 

Edited by comix4fun

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It did, I agree....but reading those FB threads and comment threads we haven't even begun to approach what's going on there. There are a couple of CGC-fans who are savagely insulting Starlin, which is unacceptable. There are several posters using this as a soap box-pretext to savage CGC. There are even more comic "purists" seeing it as a stance against slabbing. It's a navel-gazing self-interested mess. 

My comment wasn't aimed at your post.  I quoted it because it used a good analogy of what I was thinking about the newer post in the thread.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

My comment wasn't aimed at your post.  I quoted it because it used a good analogy of what I was thinking about the newer post in the thread.

I understand, I was thinking the same thing.

57 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

that guys a whole arse,not just the hole.

18 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

yep,like Lemmy said...'i'm so tired of hearing'Ace of Spades' shouted out to me.Yes,i'm glad you like it,but why not try some of our newer albums?

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

But the number one reason people come to concerts is to hear the songs they know. Not the "new stuff." :D

Interesting that as far as comic books go, Starlin's most popular material would fit the legacy act analogy, though I also like a lot of his more recent stories as well, and yet that same material is the foundation on which Marvel Studios films are still generally, slowly building upon in their near future releases.  Something of a dichotomy, but speaks for the quality of his work and that it has great appeal; both then and now, old and new, albeit in different formats.

Edited by Ken Aldred

17 hours ago, kav said:

He does have one of the most unattractive sigs in the biz.  Compared to how he draws it's a head scratcher.

6855975150_9d7d894396_c_d.jpg

I was happy to get this because it was a really nice-looking, restoration free, well-priced copy of one of my favourite Bronze Age comics from one of my all-time favourite creators.

Yes, some of us who buy these slabs are total geeks as far as our motivation is concerned. :whatthe:

Edited by Ken Aldred

18 hours ago, kav said:

He does have one of the most unattractive sigs in the biz.  

I'm afraid I have to agree.   I met him at the Baltimore con a few years ago, had a very nice chat with him, and got him to sign my copy of Warlock 9.  I was hoping for his more stylized late '70s/early '80s signature (pictured), but got the black squiggle instead.

Not a big deal: he didn't charge me to sign it, and my daughter (who talked me into approaching him for the autograph) and I have a nice memory to go along with it.  All good.

914zUn+hOQL.jpg

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Interesting that as far as comic books go, Starlin's most popular material would fit the legacy act analogy, though I also like a lot of his more recent stories as well, and yet that same material is the foundation on which Marvel Studios films are still generally, slowly building upon in their near future releases.  Something of a dichotomy, but speaks for the quality of his work and that it has great appeal; both then and now, old and new, albeit in different formats.

I think that one of the neatest things about Starlin's career...and this is quite rare, in ANY of the arts...is that he enjoyed a wonderful renaissance in the early 90's, a second flowering after his first initial big splash in the mid-70's.

Not that he went away or anything, but, you know, people move on, interests change, etc. Starlin essentially quit comics for a couple of years after the publication of Avengers Annual #7 in 1977...yeah, he did work on Detective here and there, and covers here and there, but mostly he was taking a break. MGN #1 was great, and that was definitely the last chapter of his first Cosmic Marvel era.

It wasn't until Dreadstar from Epic that he really got to do what he wanted. I think, from what I've red, that he chafed under Marvel and DC editorial, so when Archie (Goodwin) lured him to Epic, with its much more progressive royalties program, he jumped at it. But Dreadstar wasn't a megahit, and that's all he did for most of the 80's.

Ok, yes, Batman was big for him, but it wasn't because it was STARLIN, but because it was THE DEATH OF ROBIN. He had substantial success with the Cult (best Batman story he ever did), but really, BATMAN, rather than Starlin. Cosmic Odyssey was good, and even Gilgamesh II wasn't too bad.

Then...he caught lightning in a bottle twice. He brought Thanos back, totally revolutionized Surfer, and created the monster crossover hit of 1991, Infinity Gauntlet. He was firing on all cylinders, and once more, Jim Starlin was a name to be reckoned with in comics.

I love that, and THAT is the era into which my young self wandered...I loved every bit of it, and his fleshing out of Norrin Radd...especially issue #50...gives me chills just thinking about it while typing.

Starlin has had some duds, for sure. Death in the Family, while highly entertaining, isn't high art by any means, and some of the dialogue is groan-worthy.

But man did he knock it out of the park on his SS run. Just knocked it right out of the park.

Very few creators get to have a second bite at the top of the comics world apple. Byrne didn't, Neal Adams didn't, you could argue for BWS and Valiant, but it's a stretch. Not even McFarlane has managed that (though Jim Lee did, with Hush.)

Starlin did it. He's in very rarified air.

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

I'm afraid I have to agree.   I met him at the Baltimore con a few years ago, had a very nice chat with him, and got him to sign my copy of Warlock 9.  I was hoping for his more stylized late '70s/early '80s signature (pictured), but got the black squiggle instead.

Not a big deal: he didn't charge me to sign it, and my daughter (who talked me into approaching him for the autograph) and I have a nice memory to go along with it.  All good.

914zUn+hOQL.jpg

DC comics presents #26! ;)

My Starlin pride and joy is my Strange Tales #180...it's only a lowly 9.6 (damn it), but I got him to sign it as Jim, Sam Jiltirn, Ms. Natjiril, and J. L. Minirats...AND it has a Warlock sketch to boot!