• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventure Comics #40: Scans and Photos
1 1

65 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I think More Fun #52 is starting to heat up, but correct me if I'm mistaken. That book has a lot in common with Adventure #40: not technically the "1st" appearance, but the first cover appearance on a classic cover of a book that has seen fewer than 50 copies slabbed by CGC.

I don't think this is an apt comparison of More Fun 51's house ad for the Spectre and NY World's Fair 1939 and how it features the Sandman.  Don't get me wrong Adventure 40 is a cool book with a nice cover but I think the lessening in popularity of it is due to a couple different factors including the usage/popularity of this version of the Sandman and the decision you have to make if you're searching for his earliest appearance inside a comic. 

Edited by TeddieMercede

2 hours ago, TeddieMercede said:

I don't think this is an apt comparison of More Fun 51's house ad for the Spectre and NY World's Fair 1939 and how it features the Sandman.  Don't get me wrong Adventure 40 is a cool book with a nice cover but I think the lessening in popularity of it is due to a couple different factors including the usage/popularity of this version of the Sandman and the decision you have to make if you're searching for his earliest appearance inside a comic. 

It's the old Action #23 vs. Superman #4 debate pertaining to the 1st app. of Lex Luthor. The latter hit newsstands first, but Action #23 followed quickly, containing Luthor's first story appearance.

NYWF 1939, being a book on-sale at the Wolrd's Fair, is a bit different than a traditional comic book, and it contains the Sandman's 2nd story appearance.