• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rich Buckler, R.I.P.

17 posts in this topic

Joe Goulart confirmed that Rich passed from cancer. He wrote this on his FB page:

Yesterday, the Art Community lost one of its greatest Ambassadors. Rich Buckler lost his long battle with cancer. Rich, having put smiles on so many of his fans faces, is an understatement to his ability to bring comic heroes to life in comics. From the Avengers, to Superman, from the Fantastic Four to the Secret Society of Super Villians, from Black Panther to Black Lightning, from Namor the Sub-Mariner to the Crusaders, and to his Iconic Creation of Deathlok. Rich was not only an artistic creator I had the privilege of bring to my shows artist alley, Rich was my friend. Along with his wife Mila, they became a part of my life and my family.
I will cherish all the times and memories Rich and I have spent together, he is no longer suffering. 
Rest in peace my dearest friend
RIP, Rich Buckler
Heaven now has an artist of utmost talent
I will miss you
Joe

That's sad news - it's also confirmed here by multiple sources:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rich-buckler-dead-marvel-dc-comics-artist-was-68-1005867

I've only got one piece by Buckler - my 9-year-old son thinks it simply amazing, but what's not to love about a giant Vampire ape :cloud9:

Maybe it's a good idea to show some of our art by Buckler in this thread - to show his great art and to honor his memory.

f8ULeKIE_2112151652531.JPG

Edited by Rune

Very sad loss. Here is a nice piece of penciled art from an unpublished project of his:

I asked Rich about this: "This is, indeed, one of my pencil pages--it's from a graphic novel I was 
working on, written by Roy Thomas. Work on the project ceased when my 
lawsuit against Marvel Comics commenced (a dispute over rights to Deathlok). The 
lawsuit was settled, but alas the graphic novel was not meant to be."

Rich Buckler pencil page from proposed Spiderman/Dr Strange Crossover Comic Art

On 5/21/2017 at 4:42 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Clifford Meth ran a fundraiser for Rich - an art book with a sketch.

For what it's worth, Meth is currently running a gofundme campaign aimed to create a scholarship in Rich's name at the Joe Kubert School of Comic Art, which is also worth a look, a thought, or a donation--for it's own sake, of course, but also noteworthy is that Meth is offering a recent artist portfolio and (very limited quantities) of original art as incentives... 

Sorry to hear this news about Rich.  I did communicate with him some years ago in connection with the fraudulent antics of Richard Rae.  Rich Buckler was very supportive of my efforts to expose Rae's activities (which hopefully prevented other collectors being scammed).  Rest in Peace, Rich, a true gentleman.  You will be missed.

God bless him and his family. I just told my wife how important it is to seize the moment. He is yet another artist I had the pleasure of speaking with on two occasions. The second time I was going to get a sketch from him, and like a fool started talking about CGC and then things went south. Rich wasn't a fan of the sketch covers and CGCing them. I told him why I liked them, and like many artists, he didn't care. I of course respected it, was reluctant to commit at the moment, came back, and he was gone. He was a great guy though, and like many have said has created countless beautiful pieces for us collectors to smile upon. RIP Rich.