• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Antpark said:

One thing I saw mentioned somewhere else was, if Tyrion knew of this secret entrance into the keep, why not send in a small squad to take out Cersei directly? Then no battle, no thousands of lives lost, no destruction of the city.

Because he still cares for Jaime and wants him to be happy living with Cersei in a distant land.

3 minutes ago, Antpark said:

One thing I saw mentioned somewhere else was, if Tyrion knew of this secret entrance into the keep, why not send in a small squad to take out Cersei directly? Then no battle, no thousands of lives lost, no destruction of the city.

She's still his sister.  She's still the love of his brother's life (the only person that cared about Tyrion).  He doesn't want her dead.  He wants to prevent a massacre.  He's hoping Jamie can convince her to leave and raise their baby elsewhere (conceivably Essos) That's why he asks Davos to smuggle them out.  

46 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Why? He realised he still loved her and couldn't live without her, so he went back to her.

I mean, people do this all the time in real life, so to suddenly think that fictional characters can't behave the same way is baffling to me.

I wish he hadn't gone back to her, I wished he'd stayed at Winterfell with the 'Big woman' but I understand completely why he didn't

I agree in real life this happens all the time. Maybe he needed to "Hook Up" with 'Big Woman' to realize he's still in Love with his Cersei and found out that she most likely will die or lose the battle and ran to her side to be with her or save her.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Who would have guessed a casual browse into the Game of Thrones thread would have completely spoiled the end of Veep for me?  :fear: :mad: :mad: :mad:

3 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

Yep - same for me.

Now you know how those sports fans felt when the announcer started off the game by telling everyone who just died on Game of Thrones before the Pacific Time HBO had started. :whatthe:

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now you know how those sports fans felt when the announcer started off the game by telling everyone who just died on Game of Thrones before the Pacific Time HBO had started. :whatthe:

I have been messing with friends that only have HBO West out here and have to wait until 9:00 pm MST to watch it. We have the HBO East as well so I text them during the show, with some correct info and some false info just to screw things up a bit. lol 

13 minutes ago, kimik said:

I have been messing with friends that only have HBO West out here and have to wait until 9:00 pm MST to watch it. We have the HBO East as well so I text them during the show, with some correct info and some false info just to screw things up a bit. lol 

I watch on HBO Go (Better picture quality 1080p vs. 1080i) and the episode goes up at about 8:57pm EDT.  It's "moveable" (meaning you can fast forward).  I'm tempted to jump to the last 10 minutes and watch them and know by 9:15pm what happens and start texting my friends LOL.

13 minutes ago, kimik said:

Suggested text for Sunday:  "OMG Jon just ordered Drogon to eat Daenerys, and he did it!!!  Then he rode him to Arya and proposed to her."

The best way to end this is to have it all be a dream sequence for Bran while he is out cold from the fall off the wall and then have him wake up with everyone around him. That would pizz everyone off. lol 

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

Why? He realised he still loved her and couldn't live without her, so he went back to her.

I mean, people do this all the time in real life, so to suddenly think that fictional characters can't behave the same way is baffling to me.

Agreed - it was appropriate to have Cersei buried as her reign collapsed, and Jamie was already mortally wounded by Euron.

Not every death has to be Hollywood-ized, there have been plenty of other dramatic confrontational killings to satiate the audience. 

42 minutes ago, kimik said:

emotion02.gif.b9e64e8339a50ac6fb8cc1846f45b9b9.gif

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

emotion02.gif.b9e64e8339a50ac6fb8cc1846f45b9b9.gif

lol

This is pretty accurate. My GoT approach is the same as getting the Messi fans riled up in the FIFA thread or the Manning fans in the NFL thread.

3 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Agreed - it was appropriate to have Cersei buried as her reign collapsed, and Jamie was already mortally wounded by Euron.

Not every death has to be Hollywood-ized, there have been plenty of other dramatic confrontational killings to satiate the audience. 

It's not so much "Hollywood-izing" it, but rather story telling.  You've built up a character as beyond evil.  She's the reason our beloved Ned Stark is dead.  You've set up Arya for wanting revenge because of Cersei.  The cruel Joffrey is because of her, she brought the Faith Militant back etc.  All of this is setting up the idea that SOMEONE is going to "get the rub" by killing her.  Otherwise you might as well either 1) have her escape or 2) "win" the whole thing.  Killing her off in the most meaningless of ways, almost redeeming her (at least she had her love with her at the last moment) is just bleh storytelling.  You still want to drop a castle on her and kill her, FINE, but do it in a better way.  Here's a free suggestion.  

Cersei and Jamie are running to the tunnels.  They reach the entrance and see the row boat sitting there.  Both breath a sigh of relief thinking they are going to escape.  The camera pauses and suddenly Euron emerges.  Jamie screams at him "I killed you, how?"  Jamie pushes Cersei behind himself and lunges forward to strike Euron down, only to miss.  Euron strikes a near fatal blow to Jamie, who is on his knees choking on his own blood, fear in his eyes as he sees Euron continuing unbroken towards Cersei..  Euron walks to Cersei, who has relaxed, thinking she has control over him.  She starts talking to him about how they will rule the iron isles and one day reclaim their throne.  She reaches out to kiss him, to seduce him for her safety but feels something is wrong.  Euron is Cold, unresponsive to her advances as he had been in the past.  He reaches up and pulls off his face, to reveal instead  it is Arya. Meanwhile, Dany's attack continues and the castle is falling down around them. Arya gives a short but poignant speech explaining that, by all rights she should kill her for what she (Cersei) did to her father, but instead has realized she just isn't worth it.  That instead, she wants to thank Cersei for everything she has given her, how because of her she has become what she always wanted.  And as a Thank You, she will give Cersei what she has always dreamed of, always wanted, always schemed to get, the Red Keep and the Iron Throne.  As she says all this, she steps back as the castle ceiling collapses, crushing Cersei, who dies scared, alone, and destroyed by her own desires.  Jamie, seeing all of this, lets out a soft moan of great sadness, choking to death on his own blood and the lasting realization that he has lost what is most dear to him (His sister and his child).  Arya takes the row boat and sets off to Braavos.

Think about how something like that changes 3 stories.  1) Arya goes back to being a badbutt, deserving of having killed the Night's King, not gosh darn Arya Underfoot.  2) Cersei dies in a much more satisfying and cathartic way (even though it's still the same set piece of dropping a castle on her).  3) Jamie dies broken and saddened, having been defeated by a girl.  All of this is much more in keeping with the character developments that have transpired over the last 8 seasons, not Deus Ex Screenwriter.  

17 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Is there any chance Dany is innocent?  That some nameless three eyed crow warged into her?

I find it more likely Bran warged into the white horse; makes it less of a deus ex machina that way.

9 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Is there any chance Dany is innocent?  That some nameless three eyed crow warged into her?

Wargs only warg into Wolves or dogs.  Skinchanger is the generic name for someone who can enter an animal.  Generally you enter a specific animal (Jon for instance wargs into Ghost).  Varamyr and Bran are the only people that generally inhabit more than one animal, and Varamyr explained it as something that he could do because he was using animals that had been previously inhabited by other skinchangers.  The common belief is/was that Bran was able to control Hodor because he was "simple". He shouldn't be able to just take over Dany.  

58 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

My biggest issue with her death was they had taken time to show the proficies and had explained how those weighed heavily on Cersie and many of her decisions. It was heavily implied that part of her coldness and eventual cruelty was rooted in them. One of those was her younger brother would kill her, and it was stressed that both brothers were technically younger. 

So what do the writers do? Completely ignore that, unless you make the weak argument that Jamie lead her to the dead end and thus her death. Not to mention she was a doormat this season, displaying little of the well established intelligence, tenacity,  and snark.  In five episodes she was reduced to maybe 20 minutes of screen time and three or four pages of dialog. In episode 5 she stairs at the city, hardly moves, cries, and has less then 10 lines!!!  While that may be a realistic reaction to knowing you have lost,  it is not Cersie.

It is yet another example of years worth of story, and character development that was ignored, or they felt they were being clever in subverting.