• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,371 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

So when the show runners or their apologists are berating fans for their expectations, they should realize where those expectations came from in the first place. 

This is our fault. We shouldn't have had expectations. 

Never forget. Never forgive. 

Image result for wolverine origins

1 hour ago, marvelcollector said:
9 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Suggested text for Sunday:  "OMG Jon just ordered Drogon to eat Daenerys, and he did it!!!  Then he rode him to Arya and proposed to her."

This made me think...isn't Jon actually a cousin to Arya? (And Sansa and Bran for that matter).

54481829.jpg

Different way to look at this. For all the complaining about this season (rightly or wrongly), the viewership numbers are crushing. This is hands down the most watched season it seems and last Sundays episode was the most viewed in the shows history.

If that's all that matters, isn't this season then a smashing unmitigated success?

https://www.cnet.com/news/game-of-thrones-season-8-torches-another-viewer-record-with-the-bells/

Edited by zhamlau

So........if the spoilers are true, then is the real villain behind everything the character that sits on the throne at the end? They set pretty much everything in motion along the way..........

On a side note, having never read the books, I just ordered the first two from Amazon.  Should be a fun read.

I thought the first 5 seasons, as an adaptation, were great.  Some of the best television, ever.  When the writers were forced to write original material and work from a GRRM outline the show suffered.  Tyrion became less witty, and the overall dialogue in general became weaker.  Not as nuanced.  Of course, GRRM had the luxury of going back and refining story and dialogue at his leisure, taking years to do this, if he pleased.  The show-runners had to produce appox 7 books worth of shows in 9 years.  Plus, they're television writers.

That said, I've enjoyed the last two seasons for what they are.  Of course, they're not as good as the adaptions were.  I wouldn't expect them to be.  And the rushed nature of this final season is just what it is.  Could (and should) the show-runners have extended the series with perhaps more episodes this season and a ninth season?  Sure, they should have.
But it sounds like they want to do something else.  And if they're not breaking any contracts and have fulfilled what they signed up for (which I claim was supposed to be complete adaptation with the likely exception of the last book - which which still could have been provided via a detailed outline) then I'm okay with that.  

I wonder why there isn't more concern about Martin not providing the show with more source material.  8 years since the last book?  The royalties from the show must be tremendous.

Edited by Unca Ben
friggin' spellin'

6 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Different way to look at this. For all the complaining about this season (rightly or wrongly), the viewership numbers are crushing. This is hands down the most watched season it seems and last Sundays episode was the most viewed in the shows history.

If that's all that matters, isn't this season then a smashing unmitigated success?

https://www.cnet.com/news/game-of-thrones-season-8-torches-another-viewer-record-with-the-bells/

Agreed on the viewership results. Was noting that back with Episode 2 as some of the highest viewership.

Although if HBO wants the Home Theater revenue as well (of course it does), I wonder how that pans out afterwards.

6 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

On a side note, having never read the books, I just ordered the first two from Amazon.  Should be a fun read.

One of my all-time favorite reading experiences was the shock of the red wedding. The way that was written was beautiful, and the shock was well earned. I had read it a few weeks before my wife did, and I remember being there when she read it for the first time. She literally threw the book at the wall she was so pissed. It was quite hilarious. I wish people going back and reading the books now could experience that moment, but unfortunately the surprise just won't be there. 

That said, the books are most definitely worth a read. Enjoy!

6 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

I wonder why there isn't more concern about Martin not providing the show with more source material.  8 years since the last book?  The royalties from the show must be tremendous.

We're waaaaaaay past that. That concern started in seasons 3 and 4 when the show started inventing plot lines. 

1 hour ago, Kon_Jelly said:

One of my all-time favorite reading experiences was the shock of the red wedding. The way that was written was beautiful, and the shock was well earned. I had read it a few weeks before my wife did, and I remember being there when she read it for the first time. She literally threw the book at the wall she was so pissed. It was quite hilarious. I wish people going back and reading the books now could experience that moment, but unfortunately the surprise just won't be there. 

That said, the books are most definitely worth a read. Enjoy!

We're waaaaaaay past that. That concern started in seasons 3 and 4 when the show started inventing plot lines. 

In retrospect, the first indication ( at least to me) that D&D were not up to writing " original" GOT plotlines was the handling of Dorne. Despite the issues with book 4 as a whole, a lot of that material was great, and what appeared on the series was an abomination.  This earlier plot exemplifies the simplified, ham fisted writing that is now destroying season 8.

Know there is massive amount of great material that was either left out or altered from the books.  They have a richness and depth that even the TV series at it's best struggled to incorporate. The differences became more obvious ( as is typical) as the seasons moved on.

22 minutes ago, drotto said:

In retrospect, the first indication ( at least to me) that D&D were not up to writing " original" GOT plotlines was the handling of Dorne. Despite the issues with book 4 as a whole, a lot of that material was great, and what appeared on the series was an abomination.  This earlier plot exemplifies the simplified, ham fisted writing that is now destroying season 8.

I think there were questionable decisions from the beginning, but you're absolutely right that the butchering of the Dorne storyline was the first major one. Most of the earlier changes could be excused by the differing formats, but Dorne was just abysmal. 

I also wish they would've brought in Lady Stoneheart. 

40 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:facepalm::pullhair:

You have to wonder what impact this may have on the planned prequels/spin-offs.  With this many people unhappy about the handling of the final season, will they be willing to give the new shows a chance?

And will Disney have second thoughts about handing D&D a Star Wars franchise?

Edited by Doc McCoy

12 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

You have to wonder what impact this may have on the planned prequels/spin-offs.  With this many people unhappy about the handling of the final season, will they be willing to give the new shows a chance?

The major risk is brand damage at this point, the final episode will get massive ratings regardless. The mishandling of season 8 will likely hurt the spinoffs. The other damage will be to the series longevity and re-watchability.  Personally, I was planning on watching the entire series again with my son now that he is old enough, now I have lost interest in doing so.

On the other hand, if JRRM ever finishes the books it might help their sales because people will want to see the "true" ending

11 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

Yes, in the exact same way any mistress cares that her soon-to-be husband is divorcing his current wife too fast.  :makepoint:

This is what will drive concern at HBO when it comes to follow-on sales.

DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP: Parrot Analytics: New Season Bolsters Cross-Platform Demand for “Game of Thrones”

In 2017, Game of Thrones was the top demanded show via digital services based on Season 7's build-up before the show had launched. Even higher than The Walking Dead.

DEG_Chart01.thumb.PNG.912212513a5af48ee233f16c624fe04e.PNG

I wonder what the 2019 chart looks like now, and later on when Home Theater sales kick in for digital, DVD and Bluray media?

I know it is little more than mad fans venting,  and would never happen, but the petition to remake season 8 has well north of 400k in less than 24 hrs.  I know social media has changed the world forever,  but the amount of anger is amazing. This does indicate a building backlash against the spinoffs and the brand in general.

Yes the final will do gangbuster ratings, but there you have it.

Edited by drotto

Sadly, 'Game of Thrones' never fixed its problem with women

"Thrones" has long struggled to fully define the women who play its game. It's had trouble with the men, too (character consistency is one of the writers' biggest weaknesses), but heading into the final episode of the TV juggernaut, its mistreatment of the women who once made the series great might just be remembered as its original sin. 

Had the series taken time to make Dany's descent to villainy a slow slide instead of an air drop from 50,000 feet, it would feel more earned and far less stereotypical. Women don't have to be virtuous heroes to be great characters. They just have to make sense. .

The Cersei who destroyed the Sept of Baelor would have had an exit strategy from The Red Keep during Dany's siege. The Cersei who almost committed suicide to save herself and her son from failure at the Blackwater never would have cried about dying in her brother/lover's arms. The Cersei who killed Robert Baratheon with a well-placed flask of wine would never have been dense enough to think her Lannister soldiers were so loyal and strong they'd defeat a dragon.