• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Should we assume Cersei took the Westeros equivalent of the morning after pill after she got it on with Euron so we definitely know it's Jaime's kid?

Actually, Cersei told Jaime in Season 7 and Tyrion suspected last time he saw Cersei.  So I'd have to guess it's been at least a month or so.  Long enough for Jaime to travel from King's Landing to Winterfell and confirm it with Tyrion.

Edited by Doc McCoy

I think I knew this a month ago and forgot.  Man do I prefer to binge these shows with either complex plots or tons of characters, I forget half of everything watching one episode per week.  :frustrated:

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

What's the range of dragonfire?  In that episode at the end of season 6 where the three dragons roasted a fleet of ships, they weren't more than a few dozen feet over the ships, so you'd have to assume the range is something like 40 to 80 feet.  How does Drogon get that close to the ships in the image below without getting speared by the ships at the edges of the formation?

2000?cb=20190506030156

You fake fleeing, and while they focus on the Unsullied ships come in from the side and fry them like they did with the white walkers. Two passes with ships bunched together like that and they are done. It is just applying a basic feigned retreat and then attacking from the side using one of the islands as cover. Euron would not have been able to react in time. Granted, Dany is not a military mind and was upset, but she could have destroyed Cersei's naval leadership in one swoop.

Do we have an idea how many troops each side has in this battle?  When Tyrion was pleading with Cersei and her hand to give up, I had NONE of the sense that Cersei was facing an overwhelming force because I have no idea how many troops there are between Dany's remaining forces and those committed by Jon Snow.  ALL of the Doth'raki we saw last episode died and a lot of the Unsullied did, so how many are left?

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Do we have an idea how many troops each side has in this battle?  When Tyrion was pleading with Cersei and her hand to give up, I had NONE of the sense that Cersei was facing an overwhelming force because I have no idea how many troops there are between Dany's remaining forces and those committed by Jon Snow.  ALL of the Doth'raki we saw last episode died and a lot of the Unsullied did, so how many are left?

The supposed rule of thumb when conducting offensive operations is a 3:1 ratio. This way you have more than enough force to break through a stationary target, accounting for losses while doing this.

During the planning session scene, I think Team Dany noted half their force are gone now. But then Euron takes out even more, including one less dragon and multiple ships. I worry if they even have a 2:1 ratio in assuming they will just charge forward into King's Landing.

This article was written before Episode 4, but right after Episode 3.

Daenerys vs. Cersei: who has the resources to win the final game of thrones?

Thankfully, some industrious Redditors have paid a lot of attention in the past seasons, and tracked what we know about Daenerys and Cersei’s army sizes. Prior to the Battle of Winterfell, Daenerys had approximately:

• 10,000 Northerners
  • 10,000 Knights of the Vale
  • Fewer than 8,000 Unsullied
  • Fewer than 100,000 Dothraki (a number Jorah quotes in season 6)

We saw what was apparently all of the Dothraki extinguished by wights, and we know that the Unsullied and Jon’s forces also suffered heavy casualties. 

So without breaking out each group, if half Dany has around 64,000 troops. Though we had the Knights of the Vale are back home, and not engaged right now. And this does not count down from what was lost during that Episode 4 naval battle.

And one pissed-off dragon.

On Cersei’s side, she’s got

• 20,000 strong from the Golden Company (at a heavy cost to the Crown)
  • Small Lannister army that’s probably less than 10,000 soldiers
  • Around 30,000 Ironborn from Euron.

She also likely has more ships than Daenerys, given that Euron built 900 ships, as revealed early on in season 7. Before the Battle of Winterfell, Cersei’s army would have been overwhelmed by the massive number of Dothraki soldiers, but now she has the numbers advantage. Besides numbers, Cersei could also have more wildfire, not counting the stores she used to blow up the Sept of Baelor in season 6. And then there are Qyburn’s experiments in necromancy, which brought back the Mountain from the dead.

So from this, Cersei has an estimated 60,000 troops.

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Only two more episodes...if I don't see some helmet-off Clegane vs. Clegane fighting soon, I'm going to riot.  :sumo:

Remember they tangled, albeit briefly, in Season 1 at the tournament but King Baratheon called a halt to the engagement.

Round 2 is almost a certainty (the Hound’s unfinished business), I would think.

7 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Remember they tangled, albeit briefly, in Season 1 at the tournament but King Baratheon called a halt to the engagement.

Round 2 is almost a certainty (the Hound’s unfinished business), I would think.

You know it is coming.

18 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

So Cersei and Dany decimate each other's armies and then Littlefinger swoops in with the Knights of the Vale to take the throne.  ^^

I think there's a flaw in your theory :baiting:

Edited by Doc McCoy

37 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

There's a strategy meeting in the middle of last night's episode, before the ambush at Dragonstone, where the commanders of each group (Unsullied, Northmen, Dothraki, etc) note how many they have left. Each said something along the lines of "1/2 remain". 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

There's a strategy meeting in the middle of last night's episode, before the ambush at Dragonstone, where the commanders of each group (Unsullied, Northmen, Dothraki, etc) note how many they have left. Each said something along the lines of "1/2 remain". 

Yup. Noted that above.

7 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

I think there's a flaw in your theory :baiting:

There is a theory that Littlefinger either didn't die because a Faceless Man took his place, or even more twisted he has been dead for a long time and more than one Faceless Man has been serving in his place.

31 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This article was written before Episode 4, but right after Episode 3.

Daenerys vs. Cersei: who has the resources to win the final game of thrones?

So without breaking out each group, if half Dany has around 64,000 troops. Though we had the Knights of the Vale are back home, and not engaged right now. And this does not count down from what was lost during that Episode 4 naval battle.

And one pissed-off dragon.

So from this, Cersei has an estimated 60,000 troops.

'The balance has grown distressingly even!'

Edited by Bosco685