• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you find was your hardest run / set to complete?
1 1

69 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

also a Worlds of Fear 6 please,thank you.

Don't take the piss jim 

3 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I've been trying to complete Planet Comics for over twenty years, but I keep upgrading the ones I have instead of acquiring issues I don't. It's quite tragic, really.

I am very slowly trying to upgrade the ones I have. The price is increasing on them, making it even slower.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Showcase run in unrestored vf- up is almost impossible unless you have unlimited funds but they are still scarce in grade. Trying to build a run of Atlas Marvel Tales or Mystery Tales in unrestored fn or better is tough due to scarcity, and dark spines. 2c

Great post...there is only three complete CGC graded 1-104 Showcase sets in the registry and one of them is real low grade (my type of set:cloud9:)  - it's the Carl Tietz Showcase set -100% complete

Showcase #1 is a grail of mine

Phantom Stranger 1 - 6 (1952).  As rare as the books are, they are available if one is patient.  I mean it's only six books...

It took me about four years.  I had some help from some boardies!

9 hours ago, piper said:

Phantom Stranger 1 - 6 (1952).  As rare as the books are, they are available if one is patient.  I mean it's only six books...

Four years for 6 books!  There's patience for you. Did you pass on low grade copies or was it a 'see it and buy it' type set @piper? I'm seeing in the thread three scenarios emerging:

1. Difficulty to complete a run due to virtual nonexistence of any / specific copies

2. Books are available but not in the grade the collector wants

3. Books are available but cost too much 

I suppose I could put a Superman run together if I had enough money. But I could have all the money in the world and I'd struggle to complete a run of, say, Australian Spidey's.  Unless I made someone who'd already done it an offer they couldn't refuse of course..... hm

9 hours ago, piper said:

I think the 1952 Phantom Stranger is the greatest mainstream short set , !!

Edited by 1950's war comics

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Four years for 6 books!  There's patience for you. Did you pass on low grade copies or was it a 'see it and buy it' type set @piper? I'm seeing in the thread three scenarios emerging:

1. Difficulty to complete a run due to virtual nonexistence of any / specific copies

2. Books are available but not in the grade the collector wants

3. Books are available but cost too much 

I suppose I could put a Superman run together if I had enough money. But I could have all the money in the world and I'd struggle to complete a run of, say, Australian Spidey's.  Unless I made someone who'd already done it an offer they couldn't refuse of course..... hm

Item 1 for sure. That said, I could only afford mid grade copies. If a pedigree copy came along, it would be out of my price range.

I still keep an eye out for upgrades... :tonofbricks:

11 hours ago, piper said:

I have seen most of your great Phantom set !:cloud9:3 or 4 are CGC graded correct? consider getting those others graded and put them in the registry and add pictures and details about each one so everyone for years to come can enjoy it !!!:cloud9:

9 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

I have seen most of your great Phantom set !:cloud9:3 or 4 are CGC graded correct? consider getting those others graded and put them in the registry and add pictures and details about each one so everyone for years to come can enjoy it !!!:cloud9:

Four are graded.

2 hours ago, piper said:

Item 1 for sure. That said, I could only afford mid grade copies. If a pedigree copy came along, it would be out of my price range.

I still keep an eye out for upgrades... :tonofbricks:

Best of luck (thumbsu

I've got nothing at this level of difficulty.

Some very ambitious and impressive collecting achievements here.

Sad Sack Armed Forces Complimentary

Issue #12 seems to be non-existent, no pics, no nothing anywhere on the web or in our known universe.

I have not found hide nor hair of it in the 3 years I have been exclusively looking for this issue and nobody can seem to tell me if it was ever published, so at this point #12 is "Schrodinger's Cat", it both exists and does not exist.

Its nothing compared to what you're talking about, but the hardest thing I go after is silver age or bronze picture frames and finding them without miswraps can take me years to finally find a nice copy.  

If I had to make up numbers, I would say around 30%+ of silvers and 60%+ of picture frames/early bronze were miswrapped.  Does that match anyone else's experience?

Edited by 90sChild