• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone decided against collecting a AS 8 because WW is not on cover?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I think it's a nice cover... But the current market value seems excessive to me relative to the market value of Sensation 1, WW 1 and WW 7.

Not saying it isn't worth it to someone else. But as a WW collector I've never been willing to pay up for this one...

37 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

I went with Sensation 1 and WW1 over AS8.  Maybe I'll get a AS8 one day, but for the $ I like the other 2 way better.

Exactly. I agree here about 'relative' market value. 

I'd also add, AS 8 has had a big run up (all 3 books have!) but it sure seems like there are a lot of AS 8's for sale (for a GA megakey).

I don't see near as many Sensation 1's on the market...

8 minutes ago, jabats said:

Exactly. I agree here about 'relative' market value. 

I'd also add, AS 8 has had a big run up (all 3 books have!) but it sure seems like there are a lot of AS 8's for sale (for a GA megakey).

I don't see near as many Sensation 1's on the market...

Less SC 1' s on the census too.  If it truly reflects what books survived I wonder why ?  Could that be a reflection of the cover as well ? 

There are a lot of GA books where the character's 1st appearance in the comic are not on the cover also.

Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Superboy, Dr. Fate, Joker, Cat Woman, Lex Luthor, Zatara, Hawkman, Mr. Terrific, Wildcat, Boy Commandos, Tomahawk, Sub-Mariner, Angel, Patriot, Liberty Bell, Phantom Lady, ... the list goes on & on.

I think my thoughts are in line with most folks so far.  I actually sold my AS8 a month or so ago simply due to the amazing appreciation it's seen over the past couple of years I owned it.  While I like the cover, it doesn't really feel like a 1st appearance to me (given that the appearance/story was hastily added and was originally intended for Sen1 in the first place).  Presumably AS8 will always be the bigger key and is indeed first appearance, but I wonder if the cost gap is a bit too wide right now between that and Sen1 and WW1.  

Personally, I've always loved the Sen1 cover the best, so will keep my copy indefinitely.  Certainly my personal favorite of the three. 

Sigh...

I can't believe this is even a consideration.

A first appearance is a first appearance, regardless of the cover. No one says "I don't want a ST 110 in my collection because Dr. Strange isn't on the cover."

Yeah - I get that Sensation & WW 1 are prettier, but come on.

Value aside (as if, if all three were worth the exact same) I'd trade my Sensation 1 for an equivalent AS 8 in heartbeat.

21 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sigh...

I can't believe this is even a consideration.

A first appearance is a first appearance, regardless of the cover. No one says "I don't want a ST 110 in my collection because Dr. Strange isn't on the cover."

Yeah - I get that Sensation & WW 1 are prettier, but come on.

Value aside (as if, if all three were worth the exact same) I'd trade my Sensation 1 for an equivalent AS 8 in heartbeat.

Exactly!

I would too.

... but the market prices AS 8 far higher than Sensation 1. That's the OP's point...

It reminds me of Hulk 180 + 181 to be honest.  So maybe a price adjustment between the as8,S1, and Ww1 will come.

If you keep your book slabbed, (and most would/do considering the cost of such a book and cost to regrade) the only visuals you can appreciate are the covers.  

Not seeing the character you spent so much on doesn't provide any sensual connection.  It's like a stock or a digital file.  

But that's just me.  I'm sure some people get much pleasure from just looking at a list of the books they own packed away somewhere.

A few years back, I decided to buy a Wonder Woman key issue knowing that her popularity is beginning to rise and that the key books related to her would likely appreciate sooner than later. Had a choice between AS 8 and Sen 1. Never did like the cover to WW 1 personally. I ended up buying the Sen 1 because it has a better cover and the first WW cover in a book I believe.

Crazy how big the gap is between AS 8 and Sen 1/WW 1. Had I known it was gonna be this large, I would've bought an AS 8, sold it last year, and buy a Sen 1 with some pocket change.

If the 1st appearance of Captain America was in Marvel Mystery Comics #9 (very cool cover in its own right, like AS #8), but his 2nd appearance was in Cap #1 with the classic cover, which book would be more valuable?

There are GA books that derive 99% of their value from the front cover alone (Suspense Comics #3, Fantastic Comics #3). How often do you hear collectors rave about the "stories" found in Suspense Comics #3? You could almost substitute the inferior with blank paper.

So if a book has a classic cover + the 2nd appearance, how should it stack up vs. the 1st appearance of a character not featured on the cover? There are other covers in the All-Star Comics lineup that are at least comparable to the cover of AS #8, how are they doing? Personally, I really like AS #8's cover, but I think it's more a matter of the interior content motivating people to love the exterior cover.

Collector's are inconsistent. Sometimes covers account for 99% of the desirability, other times, we value the content found within. There's a lot of bandwagon-mentality sometimes. If 100 GA collectors who knew nothing of current trends were told Sensation #1 was the more valuable book of the two, for the reasons others have stated, I bet 75 of them would desire a Sensation #1 more. Same vice versa.

7 hours ago, gadzukes said:

While I wish she was there, it doesn't bother me.  I actually love that cover.  The colors and the mood are great.  

AS8 beats ST110 by a mile in a battle of 1st appearances that don't feature the new hero on the cover.

Personally I would take Sensation 1 or Wonder Woman 1 over All Star 8 any day

anyone have any idea why CGC puts "Wonder Woman begins" on the SC 1 label?  That "title" is not anywhere that I can see in the story.  I'm surprised they don't mention her first cover appearance instead(shrug)

All Star #8 was supposed to be on sale around October 25th 1941 and Sensation comics #1 around November 7th 1941 so there's not a lot of space between the two books release dates. 

If I wanted a comic for Wonder Woman I'd pick Sensation comics #1 easily over AS #8.