• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery of two different sets of inked pages for Conan The Barbarian #65

8 posts in this topic

Mystery of two different sets of inked pages for Conan The Barbarian #65

Over the past couple of years there have been a number of original pages from Conan The Barbarian #65 show up on the market. I purchased one but didn't originally realize it didn't match the inks of the published page. Andrew Clarke contacted me and pointed it out. We started emailing about this. Today another page appeared on the market on Burkey's site, the inks also did not match the published page. 

The history behind this issue and the previous issue is a bit strange. The previous issue (#64) was a fill in issue interiors drawn by Starlin/Milgrom story title is "The Scerete of Skull River!" but the cover is entitled "Fiends of the Feathered Serpent" drawn by John Buscema/Mike Esposito.

Issue #65 has "Fiends of the Feathered Serpent!" drawn by John Buscema/Steve Gan but cover titled "Rage in a Land Beyond Time!". In "The Chronicles of Conan Volume 9”Roy Thomas talks about what happened:

"‘The pages of John’s pencils, all written and lettered, were mailed to the Philippines, as in the several preceding months.  Only, this time, they didn’t seem to be coming back.  When we inquired somewhat frantically by phone or telegram what the hell had happened, we were told that somehow inker Steve Gan had “fallen in love” with Buscema’s pencils for the “Feathered Serpent” story (they were more than usually spectacular, I recall) and had found himself unwilling either to ink it, or to turn it back over to the DeZuniga studio. At last, we were informed, someone went and retrieved the pages from Steve – there was a hint of the threat of force in the enterprise – and the story wound up being inked by “The Tribe”, which basically meant the talented Tony DeZuniga himself and whatever other inkers he could corral to help him at short notice.  “

That explains why the covers don't match the interior stories, not enough time to chnage the cover titles. Now comes the mystery on the original artwork. Only original artwork I have seen from the issue was not inked by the tribe, the inks on the original art doesn't match the published pages (compare art and comic below). I have never seen any original art that matches the published comic (Conan #65). The original art is also on heavy stock not the standard bristol used in most comic art of that time.  We know the published was inked by DeZuniga studio (Tribe), but the original art below looks like Gan but I can't be 100% sure. 
Would like to hear other collectors thoughts. I have emailed Steve about it but have not heard back from him.

Conan the Barbarian #65 page 6 .jpg

Conan the Barbarian #65 page 11 .jpg

Conan-the-Barbarian-#65-page-16.jpg

Conan the Barbarian #65 page 22 .jpg

I did hear back from Steve Gan, he confirmed the page I own page 11 was inked by him. I did not ask about the other pages. He also commented on the issue:

"I have ink several pages of the issue you mention. Of course with permission of Tony de Zuniga. But sadly it was rejected when submitted them. I can not recall how many pages I did ink on separate boards. I tried to retrieve the pages from Tony." Steve also  the pages he inked were stolen.

He did not mention anything about what Roy mentioned above that Tony had to send someone and retrieve the pencil pages from Steve to get them inked. Since Roy wrote the series and and I know he has a very good reputation, I think Roy's story is probably pretty close to the truth. The pages on the market are inked by Steve Gan since they do not match the published comic and are drawn on heavy bristol.

25 minutes ago, romitaman said:

did anyone ever say if the unpub pages were penciled by john buscema?

Ya they have been sold as Buscema pencils and tribe inks. John was doing more detailed pencils back then so Steve and the tribes inks are very true to John's pencils. Since Steve inked #62 and 63 most people wouldn't notice the difference. You really have to compare the inked pages by Gan and the published comics to see it. Even then many people don't look close enough. I was fooled when I bought my page as the style good fine since Gan did two issues before #65.