Art Day with Art Adams Gen13/Generation X cover
1 1

4 posts in this topic

215 posts
Art Day with Art Adams Gen13/Generation X cover

Anyone who knows me knows that I love Wildstorm art from the '90s, by Jim Lee's arm of Image Comics. It is part of my primary focus in art collecting. So this piece is a dream come true for me.

I have always wanted an Art Adams cover from his Wildstorm days, but have never been able to find one that was both available and that I could work a deal for. I basically couldn't afford one, but I have become adept at trading. So I was looking to get any Art Adams cover and didn't dare to hope for a Wildstorm one specifically. This cover was one I have always wanted in particular because it has both teams on it, and I just love Art's style on it and his take on the teams. So I was constantly looking through CAF for anything, and when I came across this one on another CAFer's gallery, I reached out. He wasn't looking to sell but said he would consider a trade if I had another Art Adams cover to trade to him for it. So here's where it got a little complicated and I reached out to dealer Mike Burkey. He had a nice Art Adams Marvel cover available so I managed to do a 3-way deal. I traded Mike art and cash for his cover, had him ship to Murray (the other collector), and Murray sent this to me. Everyone is happy and I managed to get a cover I never thought possible! So big thanks to Mike and Murray for working with me and making this dream come true! 

Here's a link to my CAF for a super hi-res scan:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1401779

Thanks for looking!

Dave K

1,207 posts

Congrats, Dave. It's a great cover. As a matter of personal preference, I enjoy Art Adams' artwork more than Jim Lee's stuff. I have a special fondness for the 90s stuff, too, so I really think you've found a prize here. 

But inquiring minds want to know -- what was the Marvel cover?

7,163 posts

The only thing more impressive than this cover is how you managed the purchase/sale/trade and it all worked out. 

Congrats ! :golfclap:

215 posts
1 hour ago, Hal Turner said:

Congrats, Dave. It's a great cover. As a matter of personal preference, I enjoy Art Adams' artwork more than Jim Lee's stuff. I have a special fondness for the 90s stuff, too, so I really think you've found a prize here. 

But inquiring minds want to know -- what was the Marvel cover?

It was a newer Marvel one, from Secret Avengers. Here's a link to the piece on Burkey's site.

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=20493&ArtistId=840

I would have been happy with either, but the '90s Wildstorm/Image stuff is my jam so I had to make a play. I'm just glad the other guy said yes!