• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA books still flying under the radar
1 1

305 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Catman Comics get a lot of well-deserved attention, but Captain Aero seems to fly under the radar - some very good Chas Quinlan art and not easy to find books, either.

I agree.  They are picking up speed I think though.  Here is one I picked up recently.  Really liked the cover on this one.

1406171443571.jpg

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

I agree.  They are picking up speed I think though.  Here is one I picked up recently.  Really liked the cover on this one.

1406171443571.jpg

Oh yeah, I really like that one too (I have one of the CGC 8.0's) - great pick-up! :applause:

I was hoping Captain Aero would stay under the radar until I finished the run.  And, thankfully, I did a few months ago (well, except for the last two sci-fi issues, but I was only going after the war covers).  Just my opinion, but I think it is at least as tough, if not tougher, to complete than Catman.  I agree that they do seem to be drawing more attention.

capaero12.jpg

2 hours ago, walclark said:

I was hoping Captain Aero would stay under the radar until I finished the run.  And, thankfully, I did a few months ago (well, except for the last two sci-fi issues, but I was only going after the war covers).  Just my opinion, but I think it is at least as tough, if not tougher, to complete than Catman.  I agree that they do seem to be drawing more attention.

capaero12.jpg

Always like that cover 

2 hours ago, walclark said:

capaero12.jpg

They have been on my radar for years. I just think my radar is a little weaker than yours...

So here's a precode horror cover that (appropriately enough) I had never seen before. Must be well under the radar, no? I really love the art and the garish colors. Like Chamber of Chills #19, it almost seems like it could be the art for a punk album or something.

3010tgl.jpg

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

So here's a precode horror cover that (appropriately enough) I had never seen before. Must be well under the radar, no? I really love the art and the garish colors. Like Chamber of Chills #19, it almost seems like it could be the art for a punk album or something.

3010tgl.jpg

I have the perfect band for it.

The-Unseen-2.jpg

In this thread we have books some feel are still greatly undervalued and others that are just relatively cheap still. The last time I looked this book falls into the latter.

1dc36a2f19a0627c9ba2ca53b546509a0466a89c

I'm still convinced Kirby and D.C. stole this title for the Challengers of the Unknown book.  

Either way this is a super cool roommate in any PCH collection.

On 6/22/2017 at 4:26 PM, sacentaur said:

With my copy now at CGC, I'm reminded that Top-Notch 22 is a rare book (just one copy currently on the census and I believe it's the Church) that has the first appearance of Archie in a full-page ad.

Anyone here have a copy? hm 

sacentaur, did you request that CGC make a note on the label "1st appearance of Archie in an Ad"?  It's important that CGC recognizes that distinction.  Gator told me that TN22 came out a week before Pep22. I've only been able to find a really low grade copy.

I've always thought this cover was a Gem.  

Look closely and you'll see individual body parts flying off the guys in the background.

As I recall, in the interior story that corresponds to the cover, the woman doesn't get saved.... she gets her head chopped off.

P1090509.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

51 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I've always thought this cover was a Gem.  

Look closely and you'll see individual body parts flying off the guys in the background.

As I recall, in the interior story that corresponds to the cover, the woman doesn't get saved.... she gets her head chopped off.

P1090509.JPG

Gadzukes, you are correct...and she seemed so nice....

Fight 32 page 2.jpg

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

sacentaur, did you request that CGC make a note on the label "1st appearance of Archie in an Ad"?  It's important that CGC recognizes that distinction.  Gator told me that TN22 came out a week before Pep22. I've only been able to find a really low grade copy.

No I didn't, but I agree with you.

If CGC ever does recognize TN 22, I'll have to get the book re-holdered. 

Congrat's on having any copy at all, it's brutally tough (and under-the-radar).

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

No I didn't, but I agree with you.

If CGC ever does recognize TN 22, I'll have to get the book re-holdered. 

Congrat's on having any copy at all, it's brutally tough (and under-the-radar).

If your copy is at CGC right now why don't you go ahead and request the label note?

I think it's a super important "historic" footnote.