• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing mildew smell

5 posts in this topic

Removing mildew smell

I had received a piece of art recently that smelled strongly of mildew. I managed to get rid of the sent. I took a cookie tray and pored baking soda into it covering the bottom. I then laid chicken wire about one inch above it. The art was laid on the chicken wire and I put it all into a garbage bag and sealed it shut. In 72 hours I removed the art and the smell was gone. I checked the art two days later in my portfolio and still no smell. If you got a stinky piece give this method a shot.

42 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Very interesting. I am airing a piece out in front of my air conditioner as we speak. If that doesn't work, it's baking soda time.

I wouldn't put art in front of the air conditioner. There is too much moisture in an air conditioner.

The baking soda method is what I'd have suggested as well.

I did that once with a box of old books. Just put an open box of baking soda in with them and closed up the box for a couple weeks. When I got back around to looking at them, the smell was all sorted out.