• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

But, it's just an ugly barcode, right?
2 2

105 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2017 at 8:06 PM, fastballspecial said:

There are some truly tough Marvel newsstands like the Non Enhanced Thor25/ASM 25 and I think it was FF 25? All 3 of those had non enhanced newsstands that are very tough to find.

Also, the Uncanny X Men #350 newsstand unenhanced version, which I see a decent bit, but there's supposedly a direct edition non enhanced version which I have still never seen in person. 

1 hour ago, BishopT said:
On 2017-06-24 at 7:06 PM, fastballspecial said:

There are some truly tough Marvel newsstands like the Non Enhanced Thor25/ASM 25 and I think it was FF 25? All 3 of those had non enhanced newsstands that are very tough to find.

Also, the Uncanny X Men #350 newsstand unenhanced version, which I see a decent bit, but there's supposedly a direct edition non enhanced version which I have still never seen in person.

Yes, there are three versions of UXM350: Direct regular, Direct enhanced, and Newsstand (which is regular/non-enhanced). I've owned multiples of all three and still have at least one of each.

ASM (v.2) 25 is funny to me. I've come across and owned multiple regular editions and multiple newsstand editions, but only one of the most common (enhanced) edition.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:10 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I absolutely agree.  I'll always happily pay a premium for a variant newsstand edition.  That WildCATS #2 newsstand is a prime example...

8.jpg

Awesome book !!! 

Congrats

22 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, there are three versions of UXM350: Direct regular, Direct enhanced, and Newsstand (which is regular/non-enhanced). I've owned multiples of all three and still have at least one of each.

ASM (v.2) 25 is funny to me. I've come across and owned multiple regular editions and multiple newsstand editions, but only one of the most common (enhanced) edition.

this was the first issue that really confused the EFF out of me with the versions.

On 6/24/2017 at 5:37 PM, Gatsby77 said:

It simply didn't make sense that newsstand editions were going for 30-50% of their direct sale counterparts (except for books like Prime 2 where the direct version was bagged, the newwstand wasn't).

The weird thing about Ultraverse is later on they did a polybagged with trading card price variant that was ONLY available with the newsstand editions.

https://cheepultraverse.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/polybag-price-variants/

I know you didn't ask and probably don't care, but I chose to mention it, anyway!

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Hah! Thanks for that. And I do care, because I remember a polybagged version of Firearm # 1. And wasn't there also a VHS tape with a live-action Firearm on it? Or am I just senile?

You sure you're not thinking of Solitaire? That had a bagged version with a card for $2.50 I believe, and an unbagged version for $1.95. But yes, there was a VHS Firearm

Yep, there was the weird package of Firearm #0 with a VHS tape of Firearm. It was on a bubble card, so many copies of Firearm #0 were mangled in that package. I'll usually pick up Firearm #0 if it's cheap and somehow in high grade. There was a variant VHS tape, as well, different colors. Kind of dumb stuff!

Firearm #1 was indeed one of the polybagged with a card newsstand editions. Ultraverse also had a couple newsstand variant covers, which are more challenging to find.

Here's a page with many of the variants, including the newsstand ones. Thanks to depluto, not sure if he posts on the CGC board, but he is well known over at valiantfans.

https://cheepultraverse.wordpress.com/category/variant-covers/

Edited by Brother J

On 6/28/2017 at 6:23 PM, Lazyboy said:

LB - what's "enhanced" about them??? hm

-d

Edited by divad
"

Ok, found a Spawn 4 newsstand in a $2 comic bin. Bought it and it's nice condition, especially for the black cover. Looked inside and it doesn't have the mail away coupon inside and I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not being newsstand variation. Anyone here know if the coupon is supposed to be inside? Thanks

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, Brother J said:

Yep, there was the weird package of Firearm #0 with a VHS tape of Firearm. It was on a bubble card, so many copies of Firearm #0 were mangled in that package. I'll usually pick up Firearm #0 if it's cheap and somehow in high grade. There was a variant VHS tape, as well, different colors. Kind of dumb stuff!

Firearm #1 was indeed one of the polybagged with a card newsstand editions. Ultraverse also had a couple newsstand variant covers, which are more challenging to find.

Here's a page with many of the variants, including the newsstand ones. Thanks to depluto, not sure if he posts on the CGC board, but he is well known over at valiantfans.

https://cheepultraverse.wordpress.com/category/variant-covers/

I hunt around for the newsstands a lot as I loved the Ultraverse. I don't find them very often. I am still addicted to their mirror covers anytime I see one in nice grade for under $10 I snag it.

18 minutes ago, SameOldStupid said:

All this proves is that many modern collectors are retarded_greedy_pricks. Haven't we known this all along?

Wow, you picked a great board username! lol

Just now, SameOldStupid said:

Yup, all I see on this board is the same old stupid.  And the same old Mr. Pid too :acclaim:

Newsstand Image comics are junk ... until you're looking to buy them.  I've been looking for 10+ years and I see weird ones like Brigade #3 once in a while.  The others, particularly those that were everywhere as direct editions in 1992... can't find 'em locally.  Online, it's fun to buy them for direct edition prices.  Those days are getting fewer.

But since you've had two posts on this board and no one has said it to you yet, let me be the first:

What I collect is awesome... what you collect is garbage!

That's a theme in most discussions on this board, in every age, in every topic, whenever someone chimes in with a phrase like "retarded_greedy_pricks".  If your mama told you were special... nope, not here.  Your unique insight is literally one of the most common we see. :foryou:

Does anyone have an idea when direct editions started to become more plentiful than newstand editions?

Might be an opportunity in picking up early direct editions.

Edited by VegasJeff