• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it really hard to admit it ?

70 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2017 at 9:57 PM, Will_K said:

Well, that wasn't too hard to admit.

I was actually thinking about this - its that art that we originally loved and are nostalgic for today, is clearly not the best art ( as seen through the lense of someone who has been collecting art for a while and such has a better/stronger? Sense of quality) but we are afraid to admit it.

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

I was actually thinking about this - its that art that we originally loved and are nostalgic for today, is clearly not the best art ( as seen through the lense of someone who has been collecting art for a while and such has a better/stronger? Sense of quality) but we are afraid to admit it.

In some other thread, I theorized that the nostalgia is driven by the story.  Maybe the art wasn't so great (in hindsight).  Maybe there wasn't an awesome splash page.  Maybe it wasn't drawn by one of your top 10 favorite artists.  BUT you looove that story.

Sometimes there's that magic where maybe the story's better because the writer X works well with artist Y.  But there are times when I see what's special to some comic art collectors, I'm just so glad it's nothing that would interest me. 

11 hours ago, Will_K said:

In some other thread, I theorized that the nostalgia is driven by the story.  Maybe the art wasn't so great (in hindsight).  Maybe there wasn't an awesome splash page.  Maybe it wasn't drawn by one of your top 10 favorite artists.  BUT you looove that story.

Sometimes there's that magic where maybe the story's better because the writer X works well with artist Y.  But there are times when I see what's special to some comic art collectors, I'm just so glad it's nothing that would interest me. 

My appreciation of comics is art first and then story  -  I can't read a great story if the art is bad but I can easily do the reverse. 

On 7/3/2017 at 10:24 AM, JadeGiant said:

My appreciation of comics is art first and then story  -  I can't read a great story if the art is bad but I can easily do the reverse. 

Well, let's not say "bad".  OP mentioned "isn't all that good" (in hindsight).

I doubt most people are nostalgic for anything that they thought was "bad" at the time. 

Except for certain music from the 1980's.  Maybe.