• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

505 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I just took a closer look at these Centaurs in the upcoming Heritage auction and a couple point came to my mind:

Does it appear to you guys here that CGC may have been just a bit more generous in terms of passing out their grades for these Centaurs when compared to what may have been slightly tighter grades on the Berk AMF's?  (shrug)

Even though these Centaurs (especially the AMF's) are generally graded higher than the Berk copies, will the prices not be that much higher since the winner of the Berk copies may no longer be chasing after the ones which they won.  Hence, the bidding will be down to the second and third place bidders and in a lot of the cases for the Berk AMF's, I just felt that the final 35% of the price or whatever was just between the final 2 bidders.  With one of these guys out of the way, will it drop back down to a duel at the lower price points?  hm

should be interesting.

3 hours ago, comicjack said:
4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Cool. Just threw down a bunch of tracking bids on heritage. 

Let me guess on which ones :bigsmile:

Wonder where all these nice Centaurs came from?

If I were the consignor, I think I would much rather have preceded the Berk auction than followed it.

8 hours ago, comicjack said:
9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Shouldn't be hard to figure out lol

Well, certainly baffles me since you already have all of the Centaurs.  :baiting:

Would it be the Pep 22 since you already have a few of the Pep 34's, or would you go "FISHing" for something like a Fantastic 3?  lol

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Wonder where all these nice Centaurs came from?

If I were the consignor, I think I would much rather have preceded the Berk auction than followed it.

No, I believe the consignor knew exactly what he was doing and made the right move in this particular situation.

Since many of these issues haven't appeared in the marketplace in grade for a couple of decades, the smart move is to let somebody else put their copies into the marketplace so that they can set the bar for you at a record setting level.  Since the consignor's copies, "in theory", are generally graded higher than Berk's copies, then it's a simple matter of having his copies go even higher than the record price levels that were just set by Berk's lower graded copies.  hm

Now, if the consignor knew in advance that their copies were generally going to grade out lower than Berk's copies, then YES, the right move would have been to ensure his books preceded the Berk auction.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No, I believe the consignor knew exactly what he was doing and made the right move in this particular situation.

Since many of these issues haven't appeared in the marketplace in grade for a couple of decades, the smart move is to let somebody else put their copies into the marketplace so that they can set the bar for you at a record setting level.  Since the consignor's copies, "in theory", are generally graded higher than Berk's copies, then it's a simple matter of having his copies go even higher than the record price levels that were just set by Berk's lower graded copies.  hm

Now, if the consignor knew in advance that their copies were generally going to grade out lower than Berk's copies, then YES, the right move would have been to ensure his books preceded the Berk auction.  (thumbsu

I also think it was a smart move so the bar is set (thumbsu

8 hours ago, comicjack said:

I also think it was a smart move so the bar is set (thumbsu

I don't know.  Depends on how deep the pool of Centaur collectors is.  I've gotten some pretty cheap (at or below guide) in the not-too-distant past, which indicates that the pool isn't necessarily too deep.  Obviously, a lot of dough was spent on the Berk Centaurs.  Will those people (or the underbidders) pony up again?  As we know, two bidders can push a book up above previous FMV.  When one of those bidders doesn't participate the next time around, the price can drop significantly unless there was a third bidder nipping at the winner and underbidder's heels.

Be interesting to see how it plays out next month.  Still curious (just out of sheer nosiness) as to where these books came from. 

On 7/17/2017 at 4:17 PM, comicjack said:
On 7/17/2017 at 2:39 PM, G.A.tor said:

On 7/17/2017 at 4:50 PM, G.A.tor said:

Shouldn't be hard to figure out lol

Well since you guys are most probably talking about the AMF Centaurs, I would have to say that quite a few of them look more like "win at all costs" bids, as opposed to just tracking bids.  (shrug)

Especially since the auction just started and there is still more than another 3 weeks to go.  hm

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well since you guys are most probably talking about the AMF Centaurs, I would have to say that quite a few of them look more like "win at all costs" bids, as opposed to just tracking bids.  (shrug)

Especially since the auction just started and there is still more than another 3 weeks to go.  hm

Not mine. Just little opening bid so when live bidding comes up I'm ready