• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

It appears Patty Jenkins was not fired by Feige from directing Thor: The Dark World. She quit over creative differences.

Before Patty Jenkins boarded DC's world of gods and monsters by directing the record-shattering superhero solo film WONDER WOMAN for Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment, she had been attached to helm THOR: THE DARK WORLD for Marvel Studios. Jenkins, who'd previously made a name for herself after directing Chalize Theron and Christina Ricci in the Aileen Wuornos biopic MONSTER, exited Marvel's Thor sequel not long after her hiring while citing "creative differences" as he reason for leaving. While some could argue that THOR: THE DARK WORLD could have been a better film if Jenkins had continued to pilot the ship, the in-demand director recently stated that she felt as if there was little she could do to elevate what has since become one of Marvel's worst-reviewed films to date.

Recently while speaking with Vanity Fair, Jenkins explained to the outlet it was the film's questionable -script that ultimately led to her exiting the project.

“I did not believe that I could make a good movie out of the -script that they were planning on doing,” Jenkins told VF. “I think it would have been a huge deal — it would have looked like it was my fault. It would’ve looked like, ‘Oh my God, this woman directed it and she missed all these things.’”

Given how toxic superhero film fandom can often become, it's possible that Jenkins dodged a bullet when she opted to abandon the Thor sequel, which ultimately landed in the hands of TERMINATOR GENISYS director Alan Taylor. At least when she was approached about directing WONDER WOMAN, Warners and DC had offered her a project she could believe in. Plus, it sounds as if Jenkins was given more creative freedom for Princess Diana's first foray onto the big screen, an aspect of the deal that led to a number of smart decisions that in time birthed a bonafide barn-burner of a film.

“[‘Thor’] was the one time in my career where I really felt like, ‘Do this with [another director] and it’s not going to be a big deal. And maybe they’ll understand it and love it more than I do.’ You can’t do movies you don’t believe in. The only reason to do it would be to prove to people that I could. But it wouldn’t have proved anything if I didn’t succeed. I don’t think that I would have gotten another chance. And so, I’m super grateful,” Jenkins said while reflecting on sound decisions made while making a name for herself in Hollywood.

Wonder Woman 1984 Director Patty Jenkins on Knowing When to Fight

The filmmaker walked away from Marvel, and pushed to give Gal Gadot’s superhero meaning: “You can’t do movies you don’t believe in.”

If Patty Jenkins had walked through the first door that opened for her, she might not still be here to hold it for others. The director, who made history in more than one way with 2017’s Wonder Woman, had been hired to direct another big-budget comic book film six years earlier. The deal eventually self-destructed, which she regards as a blessing. Jenkins is a powerhouse now, mentoring other filmmakers even as she completes work on the new wave-themed sequel Wonder Woman 1984. Jenkins has become an icon. She might have been a cautionary tale.

“It’s an interesting, complex thing when you realize that not only are you just a person doing your job, but that there are all of these other ramifications to what your success or your failure stands for,” she said at the postproduction studio in Santa Monica where she was finishing WW84. The film was set to open June 5, but yesterday was postponed until August 14 due to the still-unfolding coronavirus crisis.

For Jenkins, the Wonder Woman franchise stands for something bigger than box office. “If I can make another successful film and it proves that this model works, then it will hopefully help other people,” she said. “But also in the micro, I’m always trying to have conversations with people or support people or help people.”

Wonder Woman was the first female-led comic book movie in more than a dozen years and made Jenkins the first woman to helm a big-budget studio superhero movie during the genre’s landscape-altering renaissance. The film went on to become the highest-grossing movie ever directed by a solo female filmmaker.

At least three other women will direct superhero movies this year, and Jenkins has become a vital resource. She spent Oscar weekend not obsessing about awards or working the party circuit, but speaking at a seminar for college film students hoping to somehow break through. She’s also reaching younger kids, with toy maker Mattel giving Jenkins a special “role models” Barbie in her likeness.

In talking about her journey, the director said success came not just from learning what to fight for, but accepting what fights weren’t worth having.

Movie fans exulted when Jenkins was hired to make the sequel to Marvel’s Thor in September 2011. Here was the filmmaker who had guided Charlize Theron to her Oscar-winning performance in 2003’s Monster and had delivered the harrowing pilot for AMC’s The Killing. Jenkins’s gritty, empathetic storytelling style was heralded as just what comic book movies needed most. But she departed the Marvel Studios project amid “creative differences” just three months after signing on, and Thor: The Dark World went on to be one of Marvel Studios’ most notorious duds. Even Chris Hemsworth rolled his baby blues over the film in later interviews, telling GQ, “The second one is meh.”

Jenkins spoke frankly about her departure: “I did not believe that I could make a good movie out of the -script that they were planning on doing. I think it would have been a huge deal—it would have looked like it was my fault. It would’ve looked like, ‘Oh my God, this woman directed it and she missed all these things.’ That was the one time in my career where I really felt like, Do this with [another director] and it’s not going to be a big deal. And maybe they’ll understand it and love it more than I do.” The director shook her head. “You can’t do movies you don’t believe in. The only reason to do it would be to prove to people that I could. But it wouldn’t have proved anything if I didn’t succeed. I don’t think that I would have gotten another chance. And so, I’m super grateful.”

There wasn’t a trace of bitterness or sarcasm in her voice. “I really have nothing but positive things to say about Marvel, because, honestly, they gave me that chance in the first place and it was not en vogue to do so,” she said, then lit up talking about the next installment in that franchise, Taika Waititi’s Thor: Ragnarok. “They found Thor’s rightful director. Taika’s so good for Thor. Oh my God, I love that movie. His tone with Thor was just masterful. That felt like pure Taika to me.”

Confidence is what Birds of Prey director Cathy Yan said she got from consulting with Jenkins while her DC superhero movie was beginning production—and something she believes female filmmakers have to pass on to each other as their ranks grow. “I had impostor syndrome, as I think many people do. I came from an indie world and I had a matter of months between my first feature premiering at Sundance and then running the ship on Birds of Prey. There was an element of: Do I belong here? Can I do this? Like all the insecurities that anyone would have,” Yan said. “I was working with such a high caliber of people, Oscar nominees, and people I admired from afar in the industry for such a long time. There is this moment when you go, ‘Wow, they’re all looking at me.’ ” Jenkins’s pep talks made Yan “able to lean into that confidence and say, ‘Yeah, damn right they should be looking at me. I’m the director!’ It was just that little boost of confidence I think that was much needed.”

Anyone looking for a chance to claim free Wonder Wonder 1984 tickets?

Doritos 'GET A FREE MOVIE TICKET' Wonder Woman 1984 Contest

Code Combinations:

Store: Shoprite

The codes are multiple use as they are product codes, but can only be used once per email address. They will send out a Fandango ticket with instructions within 24 hours. But availability is limited as it is a promotion.

“In the first movie, we really explored the journey of the coming-of-age, of how Diana Prince became Wonder Woman, and owned her full strengths and powers,” Gal Gadot tells our sister publication Total Film magazine for the new Wonder Woman 1984 issue. “She was fresh, she was green, she was a fish out of water, she was young...er!"

By the time the sequel begins, Diana – who was last seen fighting in World War I – is a lot different. "We don’t pick up the story where we left it last, because it was 66 years ago," Gadot continues. "So she’s been living for over six decades by herself, in man’s world, serving mankind and doing good. And this story is a story of its own. I mean, the only thing that we share in both stories is probably, you know, the fact that it’s Diana Prince and also Steve Trevor. But other than that, it’s a whole new world, and the era is different, and Diana is different, and the story is new.”

“It really doesn’t feel like a sequel in that... everything’s different,” interjects Gadot’s co-star Kristen Wiig, a newbie to the franchise, and comic-book blockbusters in general. “The posters, the music, everything...” She pauses, before cracking up. “Obviously the posters are different! I meant, like the style! A lot of time, with the sequel, you want to show the connection to the first one. And this one...”

"It’s totally of its own,” adds Gadot. “It’s true. And I feel, in the first movie, a big thing that we played off was the naiveté of Diana. And she’s not naive anymore. She’s been around. She’s wiser. She’s more mature. We meet a very much evolved character in this one.”

Inside the new issue of Total Film – which hits shelves real and digital from this Friday, June 26 – stars Gadot, Pine, Kristen Wiig, and Pedro Pascal, plus Jenkins talk in-depth about the super-sequel, which has recently been postponed for an October 2 cinema release. Plus, the issue also comes with two (count ’em) ebook gifts: a Star Wars-themed quiz book and an era-appropriate ’80s Movie special.

Edited by Bosco685