• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Spawn 1 UPC variant?

231 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Well you certainly have me confused. You don't know what a variant is?

You didn't know? Lazyboy is an expert with the entire comic book field. Can't you tell by his awesome responses?

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

2nd prints with different covers are inherently variants. No ifs, and, buts about it. That's the definition of a variant. That's why a 'B' cover in an order all you want 'A' and 'B' scenario is considered a variant.

I'm going to have to agree with Lazyboy on this one  (shocking, I know).

Reprints are not "variants" of a first printing comic.  That's why your mentioning Cover A's and B's in the same post was confusing. And if a reprint happens to have a "new" or different cover, they are just that- a reprint with a new or different cover, but a "variant" of the original first print run, it is certainly not.  

-J.

I think the cover A & B thing is a bit confusing too. Several companies are now using that terminology on the comics themselves. CGC is now listing some of those variants as Cover A, Cover B, Cover C, etc. These are comics that come out at the same time. A reprint coming out a month or more later I agree is definitely not a variant, and CGC will list that as 2nd printing, 3rd printing, etc. 

I just purchased the new Swordquest #1 comic book from Dynamite and they do list Cover A, Cover B, etc, but then don't list those words for the incentives. I have 5 of the covers, I believe there were 6. I may pick up the 1:20 incentive if the price is right. I could not afford ordering 20 copies of the book just to get one.

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I'm going to have to agree with Lazyboy on this one  (shocking, I know).

Reprints are not "variants" of a first printing comic.  That's why your mentioning Cover A's and B's in the same post was confusing. And if a reprint happens to have a "new" or different cover, they are just that- a reprint with a new or different cover, but a "variant" of the original first print run, it is certainly not.  

-J.

The company that actually makes the comics disagrees.

IMG_4504.JPG

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

IMG_4504.JPG

Um yeah.  That's called trying to sell comics.  

Doesn't change the fact that it ain't  a "variant" of the first printing.  Although it is a slick way to sell a reprint.  Let's just call a duck a duck here.  

-J.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Using the exact lying garbage I was deriding to try to prove me wrong? Interesting strategy.

You know that Marvel stopped using that B.S. wording, right?

7 hours ago, Philflound said:

You didn't know? Lazyboy is an expert with the entire comic book field. Can't you tell by his awesome responses?

:eyeroll: I never claimed to be an expert on all things within the hobby and/or industry. I clearly know more than you about some things.

You repeatedly attempt to mock my knowledge and dismiss my posts as nothing more than opinion. Everybody has opinions. Not everybody has informed and rational opinions.

5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

:eyeroll: I never claimed to be an expert on all things within the hobby and/or industry. I clearly know more than you about some things.

You repeatedly attempt to mock my knowledge and dismiss my posts as nothing more than opinion. Everybody has opinions. Not everybody has informed and rational opinions.

And I know more than you about some things too. I've been collecting comics since 1984. I owned my own store for a few years. I ran a small chain of 3 stores after that for 4 more years. I've been doing Ebay since 1998. I have much experience with the market.

The Marvel 2nd printing variant cover thing is a play and the comic is recognized as a 2nd print by CGC and all other Marvels that have similar notations on the covers are also listed as reprints and not variants.

I do find it amusing that I had posts pulled AND received a warning for posting the STFU-NOOB image of the dog barking at the puppy that I have posted multiple times here previously. Everyone needs to get their panties unwadded, frankly.

4 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I do find it amusing that I had posts pulled AND received a warning for posting the STFU-NOOB image of the dog barking at the puppy that I have posted multiple times here previously. Everyone needs to get their panties unwadded, frankly.

STFU NOOB!