• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Drek thats heating up on eBay
2 2

146 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, manetteska said:
22 hours ago, gradejunky said:

Are you talking about Adv. of Superman white poly-bag for only $18!?!

lol.................................:screwy:...................................:idea:

It's still sealed; definite 9.8

You see this a lot on Facebook auctions. I mean don't they have some realization of price? They are selling junk for sometimes 3 to 4x what you get on ebay for it and some insufficiently_thoughtful_person buys it. My hats off the sellers that actually pulls sales like that off, but unless they are actually  paid which apparently isn't happening in some cases then its just that. 

I couldn't even begin to try to sell books like that unless they 9.6 and even then couldn't ask that much for them. An auction is quite another thing and I don't blame the seller on those that just stupid buyers unless shilling is going on which I guess can happen.

I made some great buys via Facebook auctions, but the work to get there is pain a lot of times. I know a few sellers that like that format for me it just isn't that appealing.

Edited by fastballspecial

7 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

You see this a lot on Facebook auctions. I mean don't they have some realization of price? They are selling junk for sometimes 3 to 4x what you get on ebay for it and some insufficiently_thoughtful_person buys it. My hats off the sellers that actually pulls sales like that off, but unless they are actually  paid which apparently isn't happening in some cases then its just that. 

I couldn't even begin to try to sell books like that unless they 9.6 and even then couldn't ask that much for them. An auction is quite another thing and I don't blame the seller on those that just stupid buyers unless shilling is going on which I guess can happen.

I made some great buys via Facebook auctions, but the work to get there is pain a lot of times. I know a few sellers that like that format for me it just isn't that appealing.

It's 3 hours long too. Do people just sit there and watch for 3 hours?!

7 hours ago, gradejunky said:

the thing is though on that Facebook sale, it is not really an auction at all.  He puts a price on it and says D-yaddayadda.  Then someone says I'll take and he pulls it. There is no bidding actually occurring whatsoever.  

:eek:

I skipped to the end and there was an auction. Yes, most are BINs basically.

17 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Fb is probably really an indication of what's going on w comic book "sellers" nowadays. I have 20-25 selling groups I subscribed to bcs I sell stuff there as well. But I just copy and paste my eBay BINS and pray for the best.

Back to my point, these so called sellers are mostly lonely dudes who have nothing on their hands but time and they will sit there in front of the camera for 3-4 hours with 2-3 viewers showing off their books hoping that someone will log in and spend 5-10$ on a random book. Pathetic. 

And this is an on going trend. I mean there are probably hundred of dudes each week doing this. This new phenomenon only happened with comic book sellers to the best of my knowledge

That probably goes to show you that most people, even on eBay, probably do this because they are bored and just wanna do something that involves getting them more occupied with comics. 

Would be probably better if they read the books instead

8 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Back to my point, these so called sellers are mostly lonely dudes who have nothing on their hands but time and they will sit there in front of the camera for 3-4 hours with 2-3 viewers showing off their books hoping that someone will log in and spend 5-10$ on a random book. Pathetic. 

hm 

In a way our hobby brought this on ourselves really. I didn't ask for this state of affairs, but I can point to movie hype,slabbing companies, and Beckett among others and the connection is pretty easy. Its been a slow unraveling of our hobby, but I think its going to accelerate now. We many more sellers than buyers now.  I sincerely hope collectors who have been holding their collections have cashed out the last few years. I have to accept my part too as I have profited quite a bit these last few years as I have switched from being a collector to more of a seller.

I don't fault anyone for using Facebook I just don't have that type of time. If anything I would just post some books and pics and leave it that. I have seen some comic shops doing live Bin/Auctions and its an effective way to clear out stock for them. I don't think their buyers mind paying well over online prices or they don't care. What surprises me is the prices they ask for books. Its like they just throw a dart at a board and pick that price.

The real question will be if our hobby will implode just the card hobby has. I saw this once in the 90s and it scared the hell out of me and it really :censored: me off at the time. Or Instagram and Facebook(FB does own Instagram) may create a new market for comics and increase our buyers. It could happened. I was standing next to a woman in her late 20s looking thru back issues next to me Friday and I almost fell on the floor when you she bought about 20 books ranging from Bronze to modern. Then I saw 3 others later that day doing the same thing so our hobby is changing. 

There are some bright points for at least a Silver lining. Batman Dark Knights is a smashing success and DC needed it. I am still seeing Indy book finally get the press and some limelight. And I am seeing collectors cash out of their collections at the right time getting close to top dollar on a lot of their books they have had forever. That last part makes me smile because I am pretty sure many of them deserve it for supporting the hobby this long.

I really love this hobby and want to see my kids and their kids read comics. I am just not sure if they people running comics today want that anymore. 

Edited by fastballspecial

@fbs And one of the best side effects of selling your collection is that it brings you back into reading and absorbing the hobby again. 

I don't think it's imploding, I think it's expanding! (But then, I'm an optimist.)

Edited by divad

On 12/31/2017 at 8:13 AM, Aweandlorder said:

And this is an on going trend. I mean there are probably hundred of dudes each week doing this. This new phenomenon only happened with comic book sellers to the best of my knowledge

That probably goes to show you that most people, even on eBay, probably do this because they are bored and just wanna do something that involves getting them more occupied with comics. 

Would be probably better if they read the books instead

Most of these guys don't look like they've showered in a week . . . :preach: Where's Vince when you need him? (pencil-necked geeks that live in their mother's basement).

10 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I like the GR 2nd print you don't see those as much. The rest are surprising I pass this book up routinely now even
though I loved it when it came out and read I think somewhere to around issue 25 then got bored.

When that book came out it was an 8-10 dollar book. Was such a huge book. Then it just became Uber drek. And now this...

how dows someone goes to spend 25$ on this is beyond me

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

When that book came out it was an 8-10 dollar book. Was such a huge book. Then it just became Uber drek. And now this...

how dows someone goes to spend 25$ on this is beyond me

I've started selling them at $10 for the past few months at shows, but a year ago I would have left them at $2.