• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sharpies....again

6 posts in this topic

I know there have been quite a few threads on signing utensils over the last several years.  The majority of folks seem to prefer either standard or metallic sharpies for a lot of books these days (with a minority using the more "risky" paint-style pens, and smaller minority sill advocating ball point pen or pencil).  In my limited experience over the last 10 years or so, I see the vast majority of books being signed with Sharpies (Black and Silver metallic being the most common).

All that said - it's also been pointed out that neither of those sharpie types is close to archival - they will fade/discolor over time (and may even harm the paper).  Many people collecting SS don't seem bothered by this.

Why is it this group would continue using those pens assuming we're the type of people who care most about preserving the quality of a book (and it's sig)? 

Is it that there simply is not a realistic alternative (from what I've seen, the water based paint pens come with too much fear of smearing etc)?

Facilitators - especially curious about your experience given the number of sigs you've done over the years.

It never has concerned me.  In the 80's everyone was worried about non-archival polybags "harming the paper." They never did.  Maybe in 200 years they would. Maybe in 200 years the pen acids will eat into the comic paper of SS books. But I doubt the zombie alien overlords will care at that point.

ALL PRAISE THE ZOMBIE ALIEN OVERLORDS!

In all seriousness, lots of stuff signed many years ago, seem to be doing ok.  Your worst enemy is sunlight, water, fire, air....just seal yourselves in a bubble and stare at your Signature Series Stan Lee's for a few decades.  Stan will still be signing anyways.....

I've tested some archival paint pens, and none of them look very good or dry very nicely (they'll still smear like 15 minutes later). I last did this a few years ago, so it is possible that they have gotten better, but from what I have seen these archival pens are not really feasible for SS.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:50 PM, seanfingh said:

It never has concerned me.  In the 80's everyone was worried about non-archival polybags "harming the paper." They never did.  Maybe in 200 years they would. Maybe in 200 years the pen acids will eat into the comic paper of SS books. But I doubt the zombie alien overlords will care at that point.

BINGO!