• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VirtualComicCon - Proposed Rule Change - Poll
3 3

The VirtualComicCon - Proposed Rule Changes  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Allow for suspension of the board sales rule that prohibits the sale of items that are also offered for sale on other sites only for the days of the VCC and only if the item is placed for sale within the confines of the VCC Convention Hall.

• Yes
    • Yes - But these offerings must carry special "VCC exclusive" pricing.
    • No - Keep the rule "as is".
    • Crack
  2. 2. - or - Create a Sub-Forum in the VCC Convention Hall allowing dealers to link to offsite sales (much like the "Comics Market - Sales Advertising" area).

• Yes - Better than the option in the first question
    • No - Not needed if we change the rule as proposed in the first question
    • No - Keep the rule "as is"
    • Crack

65 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I think you are too late - it's fizzling already.

I blame you - it used to be a circus of fun.  Now it looks like ICP took over the place.

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I blame you - it used to be a circus of fun.  Now it looks like ICP took over the place.

Always blame Greggy - it's a safe bet he is to blame for pretty much everything

50 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Last time was the first time I participated. I think it's cool. Keep it going.

As a new comer - what did you like about it compared to the regular sales threads?

On 7/24/2017 at 3:34 PM, Architecht said:

I'm not sure if a format change would help or hurt, but as a somewhat related experiment, I created "For Sale Galleries" category in the galleries area. It strikes me as an interesting and compact way to present a "store front" of things for sale. For a sense of what a full album looks like, see what's happening in the Member's Themed Albums area here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/gallery/category/4-members-themed-albums/

Here are some advantages it could offer:

1. Easy automatic thumbnail view of everything
  2. At-a-glance preview of some of the things for sale on the album list page
  3. An ability to setup the album in advance of the event by setting the album to private (just for you) and setting it public at the event start
  4. An easy ability for people to comment and post I'll Take It on each picture individually.
  5. An easy ability to tag individual books with a SOLD tag as they sell

I could create a VCC-specific gallery category.

hm This is interesting. Still not as good as buyers browsing thumbnails all in one single thread but definitely worth checking out. I created a gallery and I'll be playing around with it.  At first glance it seems like this would be less work than the traditional method of saving scans to a third party image hosting site and then copy/pasting code here.

44 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

As a new comer - what did you like about it compared to the regular sales threads?

It's cool scrolling down the page and seeing thousands of books.  

But I was at home on a good connection. On mobile it's a bit rough. Maybe let sellers have 2 posts, one which is a "store front", limited to ~20 books. Then link through to a 2nd post with unlimited listings, lower in the thread.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but seems like more could be done in terms of promotion and social media to get the word out?

Also, on the software side, as a seller, the image layout and management was a bit clunky. I was able to make it work, but there's definite room for improvement.

Edited by adampasz

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:12 AM, Jeffro. said:
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:34 PM, Architecht said:

I'm not sure if a format change would help or hurt, but as a somewhat related experiment, I created "For Sale Galleries" category in the galleries area. It strikes me as an interesting and compact way to present a "store front" of things for sale. For a sense of what a full album looks like, see what's happening in the Member's Themed Albums area here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/gallery/category/4-members-themed-albums/

Here are some advantages it could offer:

1. Easy automatic thumbnail view of everything
  2. At-a-glance preview of some of the things for sale on the album list page
  3. An ability to setup the album in advance of the event by setting the album to private (just for you) and setting it public at the event start
  4. An easy ability for people to comment and post I'll Take It on each picture individually.
  5. An easy ability to tag individual books with a SOLD tag as they sell

I could create a VCC-specific gallery category.

hm This is interesting. Still not as good as buyers browsing thumbnails all in one single thread but definitely worth checking out. I created a gallery and I'll be playing around with it.  At first glance it seems like this would be less work than the traditional method of saving scans to a third party image hosting site and then copy/pasting code here.

I've been working on a "Test" Booth... It's by no means complete, but check it out and tell us what you think.

Edited by DeadOne
updated booth link

18 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I've been working on a "Test" Booth... It's by no means complete, but check it out and tell us what you think.

cool - how do you propose pricing stuff?

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

If you hover over the image a small pop-up appears at the top of the image. This pop-up shows a small bit (the first few words) of the caption that the seller puts up when they upload the image. Although I didn't do it this time, you put the price at the very beginning of the caption, so all a potential buyer would need to do is hover over the image. If they are intrigued enough, they could then click on the photo to see it fully displayed with a more detailed description, additional photos or scans... any info. that a seller would want to put for the books or books.

1 minute ago, DeadOne said:
9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

If you hover over the image a small pop-up appears at the top of the image. This pop-up shows a small bit (the first few words) of the caption that the seller puts up when they upload the image. Although I didn't do it this time, you put the price at the very beginning of the caption, so all a potential buyer would need to do is hover over the image. If they are intrigued enough, they could then click on the photo to see it fully displayed with a more detailed description, additional photos or scans... any info. that a seller would want to put for the books or books.

Extra cool. 

Do you think old non-computer-geeks can figure this all out?

Can it be saved somehow for later use, or is it stuck where you first put it?

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Extra cool. 

Do you think old non-computer-geeks can figure this all out?

Can it be saved somehow for later use, or is it stuck where you first put it?

I think it's pretty intuitive. It's basically like using the reply field we have now. But like most things with the new boards, I think there is a learning curve. Creation seems to go pretty quick though once you're familiar with the ins and outs.

It appears that once you create your Gallery, it's there until you want to move it (or delete it). There is an option to move your gallery from one specific section to another (ex. From Test Galleries to Member Galleries and so forth) but I haven't tried it yet.
The images that you save in the gallery can also be moved to different sections of the boards using the "Insert other media" box at the bottom right of the reply field. This is a good option for people who like to have a regular sales thread after the VCC or perhaps even transition from a regular sales thread into the VCC with relative ease.

From what I can tell, the images that you save in the gallery stay hosted there until you remove them. I know in the Gallery Test Area, it says that this section may be cleaned out periodically, but that's the only area that it says that in. @Architecht might be able to answer better about the time frame of site hosted images.

17 hours ago, DeadOne said:

Looks pretty good. I'd like to see more info on the hover pop up but other than that, this is something to consider.

5 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Looks pretty good. I'd like to see more info on the hover pop up but other than that, this is something to consider.

It looks like the upgrade this morning changed the hover popup, it is now a permanent box at the top of the pictures in the users main gallery.
Here is a screen shot of what mine looks like now.
(Red arrows point toward the boxes I'm referring to.)

Booth View with arrows.jpg

Pretty Cool.
This might be the closest thing to an actual booth template that we've had.

• Administrator

Have you played around with the "add note" function that lets you specify an area of the photo and then add a note about htat area? Kind of interesting. See the demo notes I added here - hover over the image to see them:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/gallery/image/707-3-tales-from-the-tomb-1-jan-1973-g/

8 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Have you played around with the "add note" function that lets you specify an area of the photo and then add a note about htat area? Kind of interesting. See the demo notes I added here - hover over the image to see them:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/gallery/image/707-3-tales-from-the-tomb-1-jan-1973-g/

I did. It's a nice little extra.
It'd be even more cool if the notes showed up when you viewed the picture in the larger field (what I believe is called the lightbox).

Also, is there any way to delete a note once it has been added?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, DeadOne said:

It'd be even more cool if the notes showed up when you viewed the picture in the larger field (what I believe is called the lightbox).

The black circle with the X in it to the upper right of the note when you click on it.

15 minutes ago, Architecht said:
16 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

The black circle with the X in it to the upper right of the note when you click on it.

doh!