• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 value - will the market 'crash'?
3 3

280 posts in this topic

On 14 July 2017 at 0:07 AM, piper said:

You should definitely check out the main AF15 thread, as that's all they talk about there.  Many believe that a crash is imminent.

I personally believe that a correction is inevitable but prices will never return to those from 10 years ago.  I paid $4k for my CGC3.5 copy in 2009. It's the most I've ever paid for a SA book. There's know way I'd feel comfortable buying a copy now without liquidating much of much my collection to help subsidize it.

Very glad to have a copy...

A crash is not immenent nor has there ever been one for golden/silver/Bronze Age books.. Since the dawn of Superman in 1938 comics have continued to rise every decade and has never shown any recession unless you talk about modern variants that collapsed that portion of the market in the 90s.. Amazing Fantasy 15 is the top 3 book when it comes to superheroes!,,Superman/Batman/Spiderman...Action 1 to Detec 27 then Spidemans first appearance AF 15.. Spiderman has been prob more popular then ever with children to adults trying to get a piece of history. Prob is the book to my understanding has been way undervalued for so long and since 2010/11 things finally started to shake up and make this book for what it is. A historic book that should not be overlooked any more.. So to say the bubble will crash on this book is like saying it will happen to a Action 1 to a Detec 27.. Not a chance,because so many people who invest in stocks who have huge wallets are turning to comics for a better return. As long as humans have a society there will always be a collector.. 

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

Yes, plenty to go around on a weekly basis for everyone who wants one and has the cash...

Lower grades will flatline, just like Detective 27 and Action 1 have flat lined in lower grades...

Action 1 to Detec 27 lower grades will "NEVER" flatline.. They will always increase. Whoever though someone would pay 3.1 million for a Action comics #1.. Well they did.. It's like saying who would pay 50 million for a Van Gogh well there are.. 

4 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

A crash is not immenent nor has there ever been one for golden/silver/Bronze Age books.. Since the dawn of Superman in 1938 comics have continued to rise every decade and has never shown any recession unless you talk about modern variants that collapsed that portion of the market in the 90s.. Amazing Fantasy 15 is the top 3 book when it comes to superheroes!,,Superman/Batman/Spiderman...Action 1 to Detec 27 then Spidemans first appearance AF 15.. Spiderman has been prob more popular then ever with children to adults trying to get a piece of history. Prob is the book to my understanding has been way undervalued for so long and since 2010/11 things finally started to shake up and make this book for what it is. A historic book that should not be overlooked any more.. So to say the bubble will crash on this book is like saying it will happen to a Action 1 to a Detec 27.. Not a chance,because so many people who invest in stocks who have huge wallets are turning to comics for a better return. As long as humans have a society there will always be a collector.. 

Nice to hear a down to earth analysis. (thumbsu

11 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Nice to hear a down to earth analysis. (thumbsu

When i hear "crash" it means the collectors get angry because they never got a chance to grab the book when they should of.. In 2010/11 you could have easily grabbed a AF 15 say a Gd- for under 2k but some just let that ship sale. And today could of should have but yah didn't is what is dancing in your heads now... Don't blame the market blame yourself if you didn't grab one or more.. :whatthe:

Edited by Kalel38

51 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

When i hear "crash" it means the collectors get angry because they never got a chance to grab the book when they should of.. In 2010/11 you could have easily grabbed a AF 15 say a Gd- for under 2k but some just let that ship sale. And today could of should have but yah didn't is what is dancing in your heads now... Don't blame the market blame yourself if you didn't grab one or more.. :whatthe:

+1

While I understand the desire to debate/chat these topics, it's almost pointless, IMO.  The fact is no one has an idea of how any "market" will react and if they did, they wouldn't be discussing it on some forum...they would be too busy enjoying their private island...

I hear the same chats about stocks...yet the same people who claim they know so much are hanging out in the same place as I am...lol

If you want one, buy it at market price, whatever it does from there is anyone's guess.

Edited by s14roller

99% of collectors can't afford Action 1 or Tec 27 -- permanently out of reach (All-Star 8 will soon be out-of-reach also).  Even a page from either book is out of reach for most collectors.  So if you can't own the first appearance of Superman or Batman, what's the next first appearance you're going to want to own before it becomes permanently out of reach?  Especially with the flood of new collectors coming in to the market over the last 5+ years or so during the Movie Age and Spidey apparently in the safe hands of Marvel Studios for film production purposes?  There ... that's the answer.

3 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

Action 1 to Detec 27 lower grades will "NEVER" flatline.. They will always increase. Whoever though someone would pay 3.1 million for a Action comics #1.. Well they did.. It's like saying who would pay 50 million for a Van Gogh well there are.. 

Having someone over in the middle east who owns billions of dollars buying up expensive comics doesn't help the hobby for collectors. This guy has been purchasing tons of high grade, very expensive books. Don't know if he's just bored or will ever put them back in the market. I think he has the top 2 or 3 graded Action #1 if I remember correctly. To him, 3.1 million is a drop in the bucket.

4 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

You'd be wrong.

There are many books throughout the hobby that were highly regarded and traded for regularly rising prices that have either tanked or flatlined.

Whiz Comics #1 (although it has rebounded with movie buzz, it was basically all but forgotten a few years ag - I know because I was collecting the title), Thunda #1 which was highly colllected because it was all Frank Frazetta, Red Raven #1 which was a holy grail for Timely collectors and even the highly revered Marvel Comics #1 (which seems to be rebounding as people come to their senses).

And if you'd asked ANYBODY when these books were highly sought after at their peaks, they'd all tell you that there is no way these books would drop in desirability.

Hindsight is 20/20. Never say never.

9 hours ago, zosocane said:

99% of collectors can't afford Action 1 or Tec 27 -- permanently out of reach (All-Star 8 will soon be out-of-reach also).  Even a page from either book is out of reach for most collectors.  So if you can't own the first appearance of Superman or Batman, what's the next first appearance you're going to want to own before it becomes permanently out of reach?  Especially with the flood of new collectors coming in to the market over the last 5+ years or so during the Movie Age and Spidey apparently in the safe hands of Marvel Studios for film production purposes?  There ... that's the answer.

All star 8 is already out of reach for 90% of the collecting world.. That boats is sailing away pretty fast and in the next few yrs forget it.. Now to Vintage Comics, no a crash like I said for a AF 15 is souly not likely to happen.. Your comparing books that are not even in the same league as far as desirability like Spiderman's first appearance next to a Whiz comics #1??? I don't know bout you but I don't see many children or cosplay people dressing up in a Shazam outfit or Red Raven.. Desirability is one thing but we'r talking about Spiderman here. The one character all of us at one time in our lives as kids bought a spidy comic book because he was just so cool.. So to answer your response you couldn't be more further from the truth as long as Spiderman is here he will always be popular with the masses and prices will always drive up because he's the most beloved character of all time.. Since 1938 prices of comics like I said before has never!!! had a recession nor stopped gaining in prices when you talk about golden/silver/bronze books... 

45 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

All star 8 is already out of reach for 90% of the collecting world.. That boats is sailing away pretty fast and in the next few yrs forget it.. Now to Vintage Comics, no a crash like I said for a AF 15 is souly not likely to happen.. Your comparing books that are not even in the same league as far as desirability like Spiderman's first appearance next to a Whiz comics #1??? I don't know bout you but I don't see many children or cosplay people dressing up in a Shazam outfit or Red Raven.. Desirability is one thing but we'r talking about Spiderman here. The one character all of us at one time in our lives as kids bought a spidy comic book because he was just so cool.. So to answer your response you couldn't be more further from the truth as long as Spiderman is here he will always be popular with the masses and prices will always drive up because he's the most beloved character of all time.. Since 1938 prices of comics like I said before has never!!! had a recession nor stopped gaining in prices when you talk about golden/silver/bronze books... 

The overall trend is up but prices have declined from time to time. Your extensive hyperbole might be overstating things a tad...

On 7/14/2017 at 6:15 PM, 1950's war comics said:

I still think a CGC 2.0 AF15 makes a NGC AU50 1916 SLQ look very cheap, and there are only a very few of them in that grade of higher..............

I have had the very unlikely experience of finding an '09-SVDB in a coin roll in Marion Ohio that still had traces of mint luster on it. That was in 1959. The assumption we had was that someone intentionally put the coin in the roll. Then I found my AF15 5.0 in a box of comics in a junkyard. Pretty strange. I sold the coin to my brother for $75.00 and bought a three legged buffalo nickel which I kept for a time yet it never appreciated. I'm prepping to sell the AF15 before Christmas. I can always read reprints. The artwork was terrible.