• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HAKE'S
1 1

66 posts in this topic

Saw the post re: Comic Connect and how various auction houses handle different auctions and the climb to be the third auction house of a possible Big 3.

Well, I think I just won something at Hake's. A couple things.

1. I didn't know I won. I never got an email notification. I just remembered I put in a bid on something and just went to the site to check on it and I am pretty sure I won.

2. It isn't clear to me how I check out and pay for the item. I am assuming I will receive an email at some point instructing me how.

3. When I look at the final total I owe, a couple things make me curious. Firstly, the amount I won it for was the EXACT amount I bid. That's rare. Secondly, there is an 18% buyers premium added on that they did not make obvious when I was bidding (unlike Heritage which not only informs you, but let's you know the total with the BP or Comic Link which ONLY has a BP if you pay by credit card... and a small one at that)

4. Also not easy to navigate. I kind of found and won the piece by accident.

The good news is, though not positive, I do think the piece would have likely gone for more on CLink or Heritage, so I am willing to deal with the hiccups for what I think is a bit of a "deal".

So I am just wondering, does a place like Hake's even considered on par with Comic Connect or would they be an even further "step below"?

7 minutes ago, Dumur said:

So I am just wondering, does a place like Hake's even considered on par with Comic Connect or would they be an even further "step below"?

Agree with all your comments, Hake's is (imo) barely a step ahead of Phil Weiss and the other 'dealers' that we all occasionally place bids with on LiveAuctioneers. But only barely because they have their own site and don't massively bump the premium up to cover LA's fees to host their online sales. I don't think that's much of a compliment though. And nobody should confuse it with such.

3 minutes ago, Dumur said:

The problem with liveauctioneers is that it's a giant umbrella auction site and you've got to pay close attention to the actual seller in the lower right corner of the listing pages. They've got a myriad of sellers who range from great to not so much. 

1 minute ago, Dumur said:

But then there is this:

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/54113333_original-art-by-jack-kirby-from-captain-america-no-204

I don't understand. This is all crazy to me and why did I not know about this until now?!?!?

Those two links, both on liveauctioneers but both entirely different sellers on opposite coasts. 

Edited by comix4fun

43 minutes ago, Dumur said:

Saw the post re: Comic Connect and how various auction houses handle different auctions and the climb to be the third auction house of a possible Big 3.

Well, I think I just won something at Hake's. A couple things.

1. I didn't know I won. I never got an email notification. I just remembered I put in a bid on something and just went to the site to check on it and I am pretty sure I won.

2. It isn't clear to me how I check out and pay for the item. I am assuming I will receive an email at some point instructing me how.

3. When I look at the final total I owe, a couple things make me curious. Firstly, the amount I won it for was the EXACT amount I bid. That's rare. Secondly, there is an 18% buyers premium added on that they did not make obvious when I was bidding (unlike Heritage which not only informs you, but let's you know the total with the BP or Comic Link which ONLY has a BP if you pay by credit card... and a small one at that)

4. Also not easy to navigate. I kind of found and won the piece by accident.

The good news is, though not positive, I do think the piece would have likely gone for more on CLink or Heritage, so I am willing to deal with the hiccups for what I think is a bit of a "deal".

I have bid with Hake's for comic related collectibles and can address the following:

1) At the end of the auction, you will get an email with a balance owing..etc

2) They have my credit card on file and they just charge my card when it is ready to ship.  The don't charge it right away.

3) I won four items this time around and 3 out of the 4 were lower than my max bids.   With respect to the buyer's premium, it is noted on their terms of service.

4) Correct but I generally just look under DC and Marvel Super Heroes categories and I can find the stuff I want.

34 minutes ago, Dumur said:

But then there is this:

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/54113333_original-art-by-jack-kirby-from-captain-america-no-204

I don't understand. This is all crazy to me and why did I not know about this until now?!?!?

Wait, they put an "estimate" on that of $200-300? Aren't they missing a couple of zeroes?

Edited by PhilipB2k17

27 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

BP on those look to be at 24% and 25% - ouch

Often you have to arrange your own shipping as well. Sometimes in the 100's of dollars, best to research ahead if there's something you really want through live auctioneers 

40 minutes ago, suspense39 said:

Often you have to arrange your own shipping as well. Sometimes in the 100's of dollars, best to research ahead if there's something you really want through live auctioneers 

Correct. Nearly 100% of the time Third Party Shipping is required. If anybody cares to dig through my posts of the last six months...in response to HA (or somebody else we're all familiar with) third party shipping woes, I gave out hints in one post to lessen the sting. If you are familiar with the game, you can eyeball pretty quickly what the TPS will be and adjust what the most you'll bid is accordingly, and/or buy some junk lots from the same sale that you know you can flip back out to share the same shipping ride, netting out even or ahead.

Example: Right before the 4th I won something rather nice and unique in the fine art world off LA for around $700 (all in). Best TPS I could find was another $350. So that's 50% over. Rough, huh? Not really, I expected that based on voluminous experience and so I knew even at nearly $1100 cost...I was still having a very good day winning a lot that will (I guarantee it) eventually sell to that One Right Buyer for ca. $3500. Might take a year or two though. Good thing I'm patient and that wasn't my last $1100 though. Right? The extra $350 which would give just about everybody on this board the sweats...was barely even a factor for me. Just a matter of knowing your market/s, identifying the lots that might provide arb advantage (and oversized/heavy certainly qualifies, 'difficult art' reduces the bidding pool greatly), bidding correctly (not a dime more than "x") inclusive of all anticipated add-ons...and celebrating another great day with a round of beers post-auction ;) 

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Agree with all your comments, Hake's is (imo) barely a step ahead of Phil Weiss and the other 'dealers' that we all occasionally place bids with on LiveAuctioneers. But only barely because they have their own site and don't massively bump the premium up to cover LA's fees to host their online sales. I don't think that's much of a compliment though. And nobody should confuse it with such.

What could Hake's do to improve your opinion?  There are new initiatives being integrated in their auctions, marketing, etc, so know that someone DOES care what you think and what you'd like to see. 

31 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

That bottom left panel is CLEARLY the first appearance of Major Toht From Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Massively important piece. Iconic. Groundbreaking. BALLER!!!

kirby guy.jpg

Toht.jpg