• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DETECTIVE 298

10 posts in this topic

It should, but I think it could be that the terminology has just stayed with it over time. Batman 234 used to be the first "modern" appearance of two face. I think maybe you could also chalk it up to the delineation between the Golden Age, which was the "Earth 2" DC Universe characters, versus anything after Showcase 4 which would be considered the "modern" or contemporary DC Universe (which was the DCU from '56 until New 52 in 2011).

I've actually been wanting to get a nice copy of this book for a while.

Also, Welcome to the Boards :golfclap:

Edited by Martin Sinescu

I don't understand your question but in a nutshell the two Clayfaces in question are not the same character - they just have the same name...the first one first appeared in 1940 or so (Golden Age) and the second, as you noted first appeared in 1961 so it's silver age.

Edited by pemart1966

Yeah - I think here it's the first modern *version* of Clayface.

Similar to how Detective 474 could be considered the first *modern* Deadshot. It's the same character, but only his second appearance (after Batman # 59) and the first appearance of his signature armor.

And Batman 234 has always been an outlier because Two-Face never actually appeared in the Silver Age. Believe 234 is actually his fifth appearance overall.

On 7/18/2017 at 10:11 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

It should, but I think it could be that the terminology has just stayed with it over time. Batman 234 used to be the first "modern" appearance of two face. I think maybe you could also chalk it up to the delineation between the Golden Age, which was the "Earth 2" DC Universe characters, versus anything after Showcase 4 which would be considered the "modern" or contemporary DC Universe (which was the DCU from '56 until New 52 in 2011).

I've actually been wanting to get a nice copy of this book for a while.

Also, Welcome to the Boards :golfclap:

thank you for your response and acceptance...look forward to learning much more...

Edited by russelllesman

On 7/18/2017 at 5:24 PM, russelllesman said:

IM NEW TO CGC CHAT...HOPEFULLY I WON'T BORE ANYONE RE-HASHING OLD QUESTIONS...I SEE AUCTIONS WITH DETECTIVE 298 AS 1ST MODERN AGE APPEARANCE OF CLAYFACE...IF ITS A 1961 PRINT,SHOULDN'T IT BE SILVER AGE?

thanks to all for your help and advise...

I liked those Silver Age Detective comics.  Unfotunately my copy of Detective 298 is a little beat up.  I noticed there were other appearances by CF at that time.

35920843726_d0c83cb742_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Re-read the original question which I think I understand now (:wishluck:).  The comic itself came out in the Silver Age of comics.  An auction house using the term "1st Modern Age appearance" is not referring to the Modern Age of comics but rather a period in history and its proximity to today.  At least that's the way I'd interpret its use in this case.

Edited by pemart1966