• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sdcc photos
1 1

122 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2017 at 10:02 PM, NelsonAI said:

Yoram

I believe the ASM 195 cover is with the Donnelly Brothers.  Good luck.

Pollard/Mooney

Cheers!

N.

22 minutes ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

Pollard was at the con.  He'd probably recreate it for a couple hundred bucks!

Man, how much could they get for that rare, unused, version of the cover? hm 

9 hours ago, comix4fun said:
On 7/21/2017 at 11:02 PM, NelsonAI said:

Yoram

I believe the ASM 195 cover is with the Donnelly Brothers.  Good luck.

Pollard/Mooney

Cheers!

N.

9 hours ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

Pollard was at the con.  He'd probably recreate it for a couple hundred bucks!

Man, how much could they get for that rare, unused, version of the cover? hm 

Haha, dont know where to laugh or cry at that.  "Alternate" covers....god...

On 7/21/2017 at 11:47 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

If you think WD art is going to continue being a major cultural touchstone, $27,500 for that page might be worth it. If not.....

Thinking about this, for 27,500 dollars you can buy this WD splash or the BWS Conan 7 splash. I love Conan, and one could argue the merits of that particular splash, but it seems the upside potential (and downside) makes the WD piece the better bet. 

24 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Thinking about this, for 27,500 dollars you can buy this WD splash or the BWS Conan 7 splash. I love Conan, and one could argue the merits of that particular splash, but it seems the upside potential (and downside) makes the WD piece the better bet. 

More upside? Maybe. 

But, man, at $27k almost all the juice feels squeezed outta that particular orange at that particular price point. 

19 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

More upside? Maybe. 

But, man, at $27k almost all the juice feels squeezed outta that particular orange at that particular price point. 

Or you can buy a nice J Scott campbell and have 7.5k left over to deposit towards another one.

Its called a joke.

But seriously - he was charging 20k for his new art at SDCC.

45 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

More upside? Maybe. 

What are we really talking about here (both of you, not just Chris)..."wanting" it for the collection @ $27k because it will only be more later or, making $$ on that as an investment that you enjoy owning for a bit or even some years?

Those are two different equations. The first sort of depends on your liquidity and the direction of your collection (as there some very nice alternatives out there at the same price point). If you know you will, you must, own this splash one day...then why not today? (Assuming you're a 27k player to begin with.) It's only 25% over what it last sold for what five, seven years ago? (Hardly an awesome ROI btw!)

Or the second equation where one would have to assume, as an investment, that the trajectory is even steeper today than it was five, seven (whatever) years ago for 20% less. Nice piece of 21st century history there but if you don't want to really own it for the long run (which is the previous equation), why even bother when it's likely there are many less tired horses out there to ride to the finish line?

5 minutes ago, vodou said:

What are we really talking about here (both of you, not just Chris)..."wanting" it for the collection @ $27k because it will only be more later or, making $$ on that as an investment that you enjoy owning for a bit or even some years?

Those are two different equations. The first sort of depends on your liquidity and the direction of your collection (as there some very nice alternatives out there at the same price point). If you know you will, you must, own this splash one day...then why not today? (Assuming you're a 27k player to begin with.) It's only 25% over what it last sold for what five, seven years ago? (Hardly an awesome ROI btw!)

Or the second equation where one would have to assume, as an investment, that the trajectory is even steeper today than it was five, seven (whatever) years ago for 20% less. Nice piece of 21st century history there but if you don't want to really own it for the long run (which is the previous equation), why even bother when it's likely there are many less tired horses out there to ride to the finish line?

Personally? I was only answering his mention of "upside" vis-a-vis the comparison to the BWS Conan piece. 

My appreciation of each piece mentioned falls short of their current price tag, and I'm too old and been at this too long to put too much in the "pride of ownership" column as a material factor in purchase. 

If a piece's price outstrips my personal appreciation for its aesthetics then the only metrics left are its price against value in the current market and its outlook for the future. If it fails all those tests I don't see much reason to own it if the same money will give me more satisfaction and personal aesthetic appreciation elsewhere, or provide me with a value basis that far more reasonable. 

Edited by comix4fun

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Personally? I was only answering his mention of "upside" vis-a-vis the comparison to the BWS Conan piece. 

My appreciation of each piece mentioned falls short of their current price tag, and I'm too old and been at this too long to put too much in the "pride of ownership" column as a material factor in purchase. 

If a piece's price outstrips my personal appreciation for its aesthetics then the only metrics left are its price against value in the current market and its outlook for the future. If it fails all those tests I don't see much reason to own it if the same money will give me more satisfaction and personal aesthetic appreciation elsewhere, or provide me with a value basis that far more reasonable. 

Second equation for you then :) and in hindsight I was generally running off the cuff, I started out pointing to you two previous posters but was really my analysis for 'anyone' looking seriously at the piece above say $15k? That's salvage against a fire-sale (so not the case at present) with reasonable room for both equations to pay off long run. Full disclosure: I have no interest in the piece at any price over hunnies...fun comic the first seven or eight trades and then I got bored and went elsewhere having never got into the art end even when I was all hot 'n bothered for Mad Max scenarios 2006-2013.

17 hours ago, vodou said:

Second equation for you then :) and in hindsight I was generally running off the cuff, I started out pointing to you two previous posters but was really my analysis for 'anyone' looking seriously at the piece above say $15k? That's salvage against a fire-sale (so not the case at present) with reasonable room for both equations to pay off long run. Full disclosure: I have no interest in the piece at any price over hunnies...fun comic the first seven or eight trades and then I got bored and went elsewhere having never got into the art end even when I was all hot 'n bothered for Mad Max scenarios 2006-2013.

I'm not a Walking Dead fan, and am not particularly enamored of the art from the comic. So, I'd never shell out that kind of money for a page. I also think BWS Conan pages are overvalued in the long term, FWIW.

30 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Thanks for the pictures guys!  I missed almost all the art this year since I'm so busy at the show, and this has unfortunately become the norm for me.  Hey Gene (or anyone else), what was the price for BWS Conan saga #1 cover?  What a great piece of art.  I think I like that period of BWS better than much of his early Conan stuff (pre Conan 19), and the larger size and brilliant color work makes it no contest (for me).

I had one pickup at the show, the ROLEX GMT "The Batman" and even though it's not art in the strictest sense, Rolex collectors consider these timepieces as works of art, and this one is the Rolex Batman, so I'm still somewhat on topic.  Jim Lee blew my mind and put me into a state of shock by presenting it to me at his Spotlight panel in recognition of the 30 years of friendship and collaboration we've shared (we met in 1987).  I'm still buzzing about it days later.  Anyone who knows Jim knows this is who he is and what he does and I am forever grateful  that we crossed paths all those years ago.

Scott

IMG_2024.JPG

That's great Scott!!  What a great friend and what a deserving bit of recognition for you.

Very cool. Somebody tried to gift me a Rolex once (truly) and I had to refuse it...I'm skin allergic to all materials that jewelry/adornments are made out of, all the metals, plastics, everything. I'd never have worn it...a dresser drawer queen fer sure. Which is not what you do with a very nice gift from a very good friend. Good thing you are not me!

Mr. Williams I saw the video when you received the gift and could see that you were surprised, congratulations on the gift and your enduring relationship with Jim Lee! One of the great art duos in comics history!

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Thanks for the pictures guys!  I missed almost all the art this year since I'm so busy at the show, and this has unfortunately become the norm for me.  Hey Gene (or anyone else), what was the price for BWS Conan saga #1 cover?  What a great piece of art.  I think I like that period of BWS better than much of his early Conan stuff (pre Conan 19), and the larger size and brilliant color work makes it no contest (for me).

I had one pickup at the show, the ROLEX GMT "The Batman" and even though it's not art in the strictest sense, Rolex collectors consider these timepieces as works of art, and this one is the Rolex Batman, so I'm still somewhat on topic.  Jim Lee blew my mind and put me into a state of shock by presenting it to me at his Spotlight panel in recognition of the 30 years of friendship and collaboration we've shared (we met in 1987).  I'm still buzzing about it days later.  Anyone who knows Jim knows this is who he is and what he does and I am forever grateful  that we crossed paths all those years ago.

Scott

IMG_2024.JPG

It is awesome that Jim recognized you this way. Congrats! Well deserved and thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Hey Scott,

Great to see you at the show!  The Conan Saga #1 was stickered at $85K (Thibodeaux of course).

I actually heard about your Rolex fiasco ("Hey, where do the batteries go in this thing?") from our mutual friend Paul, and dropped by your table a couple of times on Saturday to razz you about it (being a watch/Rolex aficionado myself!) :baiting:  But, the first time, there was a sign on the table saying that you were away on break, and the second time someone said you had left early for the day. :cry: 

Also, isn't issue #16 (or, alternatively, Savage Tales #1, where the story first appeared) the delineation between early BWS Conan and his more mature style (which would evolve further, of course, later on?)  I always thought that the Frost Giant's Daughter story was where the real BWS style first expressed itself in a meaningful way. 

- Gene

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Hey Scott,

Great to see you at the show!  The Conan Saga #1 was stickered at $85K (Thibodeaux of course).

I actually heard about your Rolex fiasco ("Hey, where do the batteries go in this thing?") from our mutual friend Paul, and dropped by your table a couple of times on Saturday to razz you about it (being a watch/Rolex aficionado myself!) :baiting:  But, the first time, there was a sign on the table saying that you were away on break, and the second time someone said you had left early for the day. :cry: 

Also, isn't issue #16 (or, alternatively, Savage Tales #1, where the story first appeared) the delineation between early BWS Conan and his more mature style (which would evolve further, of course, later on?)  I always thought that the Frost Giant's Daughter story was where the real BWS style first expressed itself in a meaningful way. 

- Gene

True story about asking where the batteries go in the watch! lol I've had lots of watches ala Timex and Seiko and the like.  Rolex is a completely different beast and I am learning more about them.  Being 100% honest, I don't really care as much about the Rolex or the "prestige" or value or any of that.  It was the recognition of what it represented in my personal and professional relationship with Jim that meant everything and the fact that he hi lighted it publicly is what mattered most.  I did, by the way, reciprocate with a nice Batman watch that I presented to Jim at the Wildstorm 25 anniversary panel.  I purchased his watch at Khol's and it actually has a Bat symbol on the face, an authentic polyurethane strap and it lights up in 6 different Bat-colors!  Checkmate!  ^^

I think the BWS Frost Giants daughter is the best of the early Conan period (along with the Dweller in the Dark story).  More time went into it and it was inked by Smith himself, and not Sal or any of the other inkers.  But Barry went off after that last Elric issue before returning for Conan 19 and the maturation was more profound.  More solid structural changes in the drawing, not just surface technique.  Of course, he was already falling behind on some of those later issues (19-24) almost immediately and the inks by various hands were pretty awful.  At least, until Conan 24 really blew the door of things in one last blaze of glory.

Scott