• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any reason why this would receive a QUALIFIED label?

6 posts in this topic

Date stamps and store stamps were part of the distribution of comic books. Date stamps being extremely common for older books. 

Writing on the cover will sometimes get a qualified grade.  Unwitnessed signatures by creators or notable people always get a qualified grade. 

My guess is that "complimentary" isn't considered a common distribution thing, so it was given a green label 9.2 rather than a much reduced grade for a large stamp on the cover. It would be seem consistent with CGC's policy of giving green label grades to books that have a (usually higher) price sticker placed over the actual cover price of the book. A practice common at places like airports, bus stations and hospital gift shops. 

You can send the book back in for regrading and specifically request a blue label grade. The stamp will then be judged as a defect, rather than ignored. The grade will be lower - probably substantially so.  7.0'ish most likely

Edited by Tony S

On 7/22/2017 at 2:13 AM, Tony S said:

My guess is that "complimentary" isn't considered a common distribution thing, so it was given a green label 9.2 rather than a much reduced grade for a large stamp on the cover. 
You can send the book back in for regrading and specifically request a blue label grade. The stamp will then be judged as a defect, rather than ignored. The grade will be lower - probably substantially so.  7.0'ish most likely

I concur. If the grade would have been substantially lower in a Blue label, CGC will often give a Green instead. According to the label, there is the same stamp additionally on the Back Cover. I'm sure they will give you a Blue label, if requested, but is it worth it ? The ink is very smeared so it will probably get hammered, comparable to a stain.  I could easily see a 6.5 given here.

I agree with the post above.  From the stamp on the front cover, the ink has spread.  So yes, if it were a clean and neat stamp it shouldn't keep the book from a blue label, but in this case the title letters are smudged with enough ink that the book was probably deemed unworthy of a 9.2 grade.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, Mr.Illmannered said:

If date stamps or writing is ok, why would this be deemed "qualified"?

IMG_5348.JPG

No reason I see that's not a blue label. I think it could have been a mistake