• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hell of a good Superman Cover
1 1

11 posts in this topic

You guys have been holding out on me!  I thought I knew all of the cool Adams covers and most of them seem to feature Batman.  I'm not a big fan of Superman, but then I stumbled across this and had to buy it.  How did I not know about this one???

(sellers photo)

s-l1600.jpg

The Gates of Hell!  You gotta be kidding me!

Edited by Westy Steve

17 hours ago, Flash & Fury said:

I always thought that was a bit of a stretch for a Superman story, but a very cool cover

Agree.  Your comment made me chuckle, because I'm completely in agreement, but in the back of my mind, I know the rest of the story (a super powerful alien from a dead planet raised on earth) is a stretch. :)  

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Is that the story? They had a very similar plot in the Doctor Who episode The Daemons, also released in 1971 hm

:gossip: He's referring to Supes himself . . . :wink:

4 hours ago, divad said:

Very HOS imho. :grin:

Yup.  That's exactly why I like it. Really nice cover.

5 hours ago, divad said:

:gossip: He's referring to Supes himself . . . :wink:

Ah, got it, thought he was saying that was the reason Supey was going to hell (to battle what was actually some space alien and not the real devil), thanks for clearing it up (thumbsu

33 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Ah, got it, thought he was saying that was the reason Supey was going to hell (to battle what was actually some space alien and not the real devil), thanks for clearing it up (thumbsu

Almost.  Flash and Fury made a comment about how Superman going to hell was a "bit of a stretch" (of reality).  And my comment was that the entire Superman storyline is a "stretch".  Us collectors will fully accept the existence of someone as far-fetched as Superman...an alien being who is super powerful, with super breath, super speed, xray vision, heat vision, etc.  We can totally accept that.  Yet, we think it's crazy to think of Hell as a real place. 

I find that interesting.

There are probably millions of people who believe the exact opposite.  That Hell is real, and Superman is not.

Not trying to start an argument on religion.  Just pointing out that it's funny what us comic collectors will accept as "realistic" and "unrealistic".  But that's the fun of comics.