• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2019 at 5:09 PM, mlansdown said:

Nice pick-up!  I have the Katzenjammer Kids version of this spinner, and I've seen this one and the Tarzan spinner only a few times over the past 20-25 years.  This is exactly why I like pinbacks and celluloid advertising - I still get to see new things after decades of collecting!

Thanks Mark. You are probably one of the few here who really appreciate these. Yeah, new discoveries all the time. Such hard to find stuff. And, they take up no space really. They also present so nice as a group. 

I don’t find a lot of these I need anymore but they seem to turn up in little groups from time to time. Here are two I got just yesterday. Even though I live in LA, I have never seen the 1930’s Examiner pin with Wimpy and Skippy. 7/8” nice color. The New Adventure Jr Federal Men Club I have seen s couple of times but’s been many years. Last one was probably in Hakes. 

03BD88C3-02E3-4882-8A05-6E87983B5D53.jpeg

E794A333-3173-40DA-8F43-3947F92E12DE.jpeg

How about a little Comic Con report?

Went to a little con in the San Fernando Valley of LA yesterday. It happens quarterly and has been going on for a while. Probably an hour and a half from my house so I have never gone. I was up in the area for the flea market so I figured I’d make a 45 minute drive over.

Real small show in a vacant store in a small shopping center. You really had to know it was there. Paid my $6. And wandered in. Checked out a small raffle offering and went into the small room. 

F1B0A116-5C4A-48B5-824E-5808C70AC5D3.jpeg

Right next to Terry was this nice fellow all the over from Hawaii. Had one of the few booths with any decent GA offerings. He told me right away, that nearly all were defective in some way. The Marvel Mystery 51 looked fun. He said it was missing the first two wraps and was $375. OK, thanks... I asked about the Haunt of Fear 18 and it was decent and complete. Price was just very slightly aggressive. I offered him a little less and he turned me down. He said he just loves old books and hates to sell them. I later got him down to a price I could live with and bought it. It was kind of weird, I saw him refuse to give prices on most of them to other people. I really wanted that Gangsters and Gunmolls even though the covers were split and detached. He eventually told me $225... He had a few nice precedes under the table (Witches Tales 25 and others but just wouldn’t quote me any prices. Real nice guy but I had to wonder why he was there?

3949B1B9-0159-4A1C-B110-3542ED8871A9.jpeg

5920F193-CB50-4E13-9E2B-16D6C2C1E3F0.jpeg

C40E1678-B846-465E-8BA8-0A37C346E690.jpeg

Brad Sloan F-VF had about the spread of GA/SA/BA books in the room. Great guy but he is a powerhouse. Moving like a tornado! He always has something for me. Tight grader and real fair pricing. Got a cool Super Magician I had never seen. Didn’t even notice until I got home it was an “Eldon” pedigree copy! 

D289E82A-EA56-4269-BDE1-2E35ED0F1619.jpeg

CE35F1AD-639A-4A64-B0DE-0EFBA93966F4.jpeg

D3BF8527-15D8-491B-A048-2C626FFCE577.jpeg

14613F34-D70D-43EB-A871-5A382D92BEDF.jpeg

650A68DA-7795-4F42-9BDF-8F19DCC546AF.jpeg

Had a weird mix of stuff. Mostly comics but some other stuff as well. A couple of real old guys selling premiums and Big Little Books seemed to be doing well. Only saw one cosplay girl in some kind of sexy Vampirilla get up. I really went to see if it would be worth getting a table and think it might be. Busy and people were spending money so perhaps next time.

Any other boardies go?

Thanks for the report.  Nice to see you got something from your visit.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

You really ought to get more often Mitch!  :roflmao:

so busy...I like to get out...here is a heads up Robo...Marvel Omnibus reprint is starting a new line called "Masters of Suspense" Vol #1 is 688 pages of every Steve Ditko horror/SF story for marvel..there will be a second volume to complete it. It just $100 bucks now and might come down in price on August 27, Pub date...I as a true comic book collector look forward to the new color corrected oversized pages and order placed. This is some mighty fine bathroom reading for a while...LOL. I would really like to see a Don Heck volume down the road.....check it out...good things coming this year and I hope this new venture is a mighty success. 

Edited by Mmehdy

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Had a weird mix of stuff. Mostly comics but some other stuff as well. A couple of real old guys selling premiums and Big Little Books seemed to be doing well. Only saw one cosplay girl in some kind of sexy Vampirilla get up. I really went to see if it would be worth getting a table and think it might be. Busy and people were spending money so perhaps next time.

Any other boardies go?

I went to it (along with the PCC flea market).  Great local show - you should definitely get a table for the September show - I think you would do really well.  I bought a ton of dollar books (including 6 copies of a Spidey 431 that I saw for sale at the next booth over for $30) and splurged (for me) on a beat but complete Detective 127 (half priced down to $50).  Was a little bummed since they normally give you a coupon for a free slice of pizza at the adjoining Italian restaurant - but, sadly, was informed on the way in that the restaurant is no more :tonofbricks:

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Oh, that one sure qualifies! What a beautiful book!  :x

I think my copy of Hangman 6 has a tape pull on the front.  I took it out with photoshop.  I wasn't trying to sell it.  I just wanted it to look good.

23570090581_7bb9146dd5_b.jpg

1 hour ago, cabinboy said:

I went to it (along with the PCC flea market).  Great local show - you should definitely get a table for the September show - I think you would do really well.  I bought a ton of dollar books (including 6 copies of a Spidey 431 that I saw for sale at the next booth over for $30) and splurged (for me) on a beat but complete Detective 127 (half priced down to $50).  Was a little bummed since they normally give you a coupon for a free slice of pizza at the adjoining Italian restaurant - but, sadly, was informed on the way in that the restaurant is no more :tonofbricks:

Seemed like a decent buying crowd. Dealers said they were doing OK. Even the older guy said he sold a lot of Big Little Books! Was glad I didn’t see a lot of Moderns. I mostly have GA/SA. Depending on the day, I might give it a try in Sept. 

PCC was a bust comic wise. Haven’t found many for quite a while. Neither has anybody else I know of. I guess you never know though. Luckily, I look for a lot of other stuff as well.

Edited by Robot Man

On 6/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, Robot Man said:

The Flea was a bit of a bust other than the pinbacks I got a few Hoppalong Cassidy folded movie posters cheap and a few pulps from my pulp guy. He always saves them under the table till I get there. :devil:

CC417957-59B5-489F-92C3-07AFFB8F221E.jpeg

Thanks for sharing RM! That Liquid Man is somethin’ else!