• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,106 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2019 at 12:17 PM, Robot Man said:

No Destroyer Duck or Usagi. They were both tom boy girls. My older daughter was closer to your age. I mostly remember Star Wars for her. They had a cool slot car set that I hope we kept. I have to get back further to find that stuff.

I'm pretty sure there was a legal battle or something over the duck character you have pictured.I remember him as destroyer duck!That's how I'll think of it when I just know I'll find one at a thrift if I look long enough.Luck of the Irish!

And a belated happy new year my friend!

I guess Usagi hung with the Turtles for a while. Not really my era. She has him. Must have come in a Turtle package or we probably wouldn't have gotton it for her. Don't even ask me to name any of these other Turtle related fellows.

Happy New Year to you as well mi amigo. I spent New Years as I should have. Making noise with my buddies at a Hollywood party with a couple Jacks under my belt. I'm still not too old to rock.  :devil:

And I've been meaning to say, I much prefer the newer looking Jimmers.

IMG_7665.jpg

I can only name Baxter Stockman for the others as we partially share a name.

Do you mean the mohawk pic in my profile? lol Yeah,I was twenty-one in that pic,I think it was a birthday party actually.No time for that high maintenance anymore,but the gals sure did like it back then! :banana:I think it's what reeled Mrs Porcupine in lol 

16 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I can only name Baxter Stockman for the others as we partially share a name.

Do you mean the mohawk pic in my profile? lol Yeah,I was twenty-one in that pic,I think it was a birthday party actually.No time for that high maintenance anymore,but the gals sure did like it back then! :banana:I think it's what reeled Mrs Porcupine in lol 

Yep, the Mohawk pic. Such a young dude. Good times. You have aged well in spite of your life challenges. 

Here is one of me around 20 with my beloved Les Paul gold top. I think I did this for an art project in school. Due to a fire, I lost a lot of old pictures but my lil brother found this and sent it to me. 

I sure wish I looked that good now...

28A42C87-5FD2-4003-BA22-ED1707E9D23B.jpeg

37 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

We were pretty poor in the late 60s early 70s, and mom used to patch our jeans like that. 
We loved it!

I had seventies and sixties patches on my jeans in the eighties lol my mom got into the basement of nan and dug out her brothers.Always had a distinct fashion,whether I liked it or not!

That's a great photo Robot,thanks for sharing,super groovy.And thanks for the kind words,lucked out with staying looking young,I guess it was the pickling!

Ah, one of the wonderful things about living in SO CA. Been watching the reports for a couple of days. Figured today would be a good idea so I called a friend and we decided to ride over to the beach for a little wave riding. Thank God for Hugh Bradner... that wet suit was a must today. Grabbed a few nice ones and called it a day. Not as young as I once was. On the way home I thought about some cool surfing junk I had laying around.

Here are a few cool surfing comics I've gathered over the years...

comnewadventure18.jpg

comworldsfinest36.jpg

comfourmostv8#2.jpg

comtiptop132.jpg

comtalesfromthetube.jpg

And there is this. Put out by John Serverson of Surfing Magazine fame in 1962. It features some of the very earliest art by Rick Griffin long before he moved to San Francisco and turned the rock poster and underground comic book world on it's ears. Soooo tough to find this. I've been offered a ton on money for it but it was a gift and I really love it. Even play it once in a while.

surfinggame1.jpg

surfinggame2.jpg

surfinggame3.jpg

This was given to me by a neighbor who was moving. A circa 1961 9' 6" Hobie long board. The best part? It was shaped and signed by none other than Hobie Alter himself! I used to use it but it's a be ach to handle any more besides it is worth too much. I've got a couple more manageable sticks to use instead. Got it hanging up now. It has been promised to the Huntington Beach surfing museum when I'm gone.

Man, I just can't wait until it warms up just a little!

hobie2.jpg

But this one blew me away. I pick up cool mostly sports trophies when I can find them. This one is a stunner. Sterling silver and copper from the Arts and Crafts era. Nice horse racing presentation trophy and quite sizeable. I have some research to do on it. This one probably won't be leaving the junk pile soon...

Some days, getting up in the dark and cold is very worth while.

horsetrophy1.jpg

8 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

@Robot Man are you selling at the Glendale snow this weekend?

No, due to a family obligation, I have to skip this one. Some things are just important than junk...

However, I’m still planning to do Terry’s show. I’ve been really digging through my boxes and should have a lot of cool and unusual stuff for the show!