• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,107 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Probably my favorite BEM cover. Congratulations on picking one up!

Prices jumped on this issue years ago, but are still way affordable compared to comics with notable covers (I don't think I'm using the term "classic" anymore unless it's Superman 14 or More Fun 54). 

I couldn’t get my wallet fast enough when I saw the price. I spent pretty large and could easily spent double. I left a lot but got a huge pile. Lots like this one I’ve been looking for and so many I didn’t know existed.  Just sorry to leave anything behind 

On 3/8/2020 at 10:14 PM, Samoyed Sabaka said:

Here's a book Bob pushed me over the edge to get.  It had some condition issues, but the cover is so cool.  But seriously, I couldn't pass up a story titled,"Satan Trades in Debutantes", could I?

20200308_190753.jpg

Love that one 

I had posted a number of pictures from my Japan trip; mostly revolving around toys which seemed to fit this thread. There was a series of photos from an exhibit at the Manga museum on early Mexican (Golden Age) comics that I wanted to post somewhere but couldn't find the right venue. Anyway the thread popped up today "Action #1 1938 with a Mexican Flare." If you have an interest check it out.

On 3/8/2020 at 4:24 PM, PopKulture said:

Great looking show! I'm jealous. There are lot of nice Avon digests lying about...

Did you find anything in the Robot wheelhouse? :nyah:

I will expect a full report with pictures of the Windy City show Pop...:sumo:

I've been on self quarantine since returning from Tokyo at the company's request. So basically a two week free vacation. Sounds like we might be asked to work from home next week so the party will go on. I dove into the comic closet and took an inventory of my bags and boards as I need to go in and start bagging again. I've still got stuff in plastic from 30 years ago and even a few things un-bagged. Hell if this thing goes on I'm going to do a junk sale of a pile of stuff I put to the side to sell.

10 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've been on self quarantine since returning from Tokyo at the company's request. So basically a two week free vacation. Sounds like we might be asked to work from home next week so the party will go on. I dove into the comic closet and took an inventory of my bags and boards as I need to go in and start bagging again. I've still got stuff in plastic from 30 years ago and even a few things un-bagged. Hell if this thing goes on I'm going to do a junk sale of a pile of stuff I put to the side to sell.

Better get on it fast. The boards are lighting up with sales today. With the stock market and uncertainty about jobs, there probably won’t be a lot of money to around for funny books. I know I am clamping down on my unnecessary purchases for a while. 

While at Costco yesterday, in addition to beer, I grabbed a few more “essentials” just because. Soon I might be able to trade some of these for comics...

DA654BC8-4ED7-4198-ABDE-22442D9FB054.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Better get on it fast. The boards are lighting up with sales today. With the stock market and uncertainty about jobs, there probably won’t be a lot of money to around for funny books. I know I am clamping down on my unnecessary purchases for a while. 

While at Costco yesterday, in addition to beer, I grabbed a few more “essentials” just because. Soon I might be able to trade some of these for comics...

You got a point there; probably going to be a good time to be a buyer.

On 3/11/2020 at 4:43 PM, Robot Man said:

I will expect a full report with pictures of the Windy City show Pop...:sumo:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't be cancelled! :wishluck:

As of today, the website says it's still on. Here's hoping the present situation is at its lowest ebb by then...  :wishluck:  :wishluck:

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

DA654BC8-4ED7-4198-ABDE-22442D9FB054.jpeg

Toilet paper?  I haven't bought toilet paper since 1995.  I travel for work a lot.  I take both rolls everyday from my motel room.  They magically appear again when my room is cleaned.  I take those too.  I have cupboards full of the stuff.  lol  My friends used to joke about how cheap I was.  They aren't joking now...:banana:  And water...I always have 40 gallons of reverse osmosis water on hand, plus it flows right out of my faucet.  Be safe out there...(thumbsu

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 3/8/2020 at 7:03 PM, Robot Man said:

As I said, tons of vintage paperbacks from very cheap common stuff to the big dollar rare ones. 

9A2D3C82-5D22-4E87-930F-C12F2A80765E.jpeg

37313858-C95D-4521-BA69-31B5624E2027.jpeg

59C3F28E-57E7-4E82-B9FE-B02EC1108523.jpeg

3B20D18B-A932-487B-9238-3822BFE12157.jpeg

E4D7BF5F-51BC-4170-901E-3118F551D0DC.jpeg

FC8A0F99-7C11-4D40-95CA-A06E49787D25.jpeg

Man I wish I could find a show like that in the south! Looks like crazy fun for a vintage paperback/digest collector. I'd have a tough time with the magnetic pull of the pulps but I know which paperbacks don't show up online so I would've divided my money up between the two if I was seeing paperbacks that are not easily available. Your pickups are awesome. I've been looking for the right copy of the Horror Tales with the guillotine cover. Great find!

You would have LOVED this show. It only happens once a year. Luckily it was last weekend or it probably would have been canceled.

I am first and foremost a comic collector. You never know what might show up and I've gotton some real cool comics there in the past. None, this time. I don't really "collect" Pulps, PBs or BLBs like comics. I more or less "accumulate" them when I run into cool ones I like.

I hit the out of town pulp guy and bought a pile. I never see so many different pulps all at one time. Being a comic guy, the prices look like giveaway prices compared to comics. PBs are even cheaper. I took a quick stroll around the room and didn't see any thing else that jumped out at me so I went back to the pulp guy and spent every buck I had left knowing it would be a long time before I had the opportunity to get so many cool ones at those prices.

I was too lazy and "seduced" by the pulps to look through those random piles and check out all the spines on the PBs.

I missed some cool pulps that went to some cool guys and that was OK. We all went home smiling. There were a TON of vintage PBs in there and probably at pretty good prices but I was OK with missing them.

Maybe you can make it. Every March in LA.

No doubt I would've been glad for some crumbs out of the pulp folks after you guys hit it but would be just as happy to sift through some of those tables like the first 2 photos with the Avon Digests and the Day Keene's. That is not random stock but a cultivated accumulation, and they don't look like rags.