• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor Collecting Thread!
3 3

118 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

That's an impressive run, KJ.  By the mid-seventies, the title was running out of steam for me, and it became a chore to read.  So in '76 I quit buying them.  When Simonson came on board, the title was completely refreshed and the artwork outstanding, and I was hooked again.

Your comment about some weak stories in the early issues rings true.  The JIMs without Kirby pencils were especially brutal.  That said, I find the early issues interesting for the way the character and supporting cast were slowly developed - there was a lot of Donald Blake early on and most of his time was spent on Earth, but his appearances progressively waned and the stories became more cosmic.  The Jane Foster ill-fated love angle seemed pitched to the young female comic readers of the day.  Once JIM97 introduced the Tales of Asgard backup story, at least there was always something interesting to read, even when the lead story may have been weak.

Here's the first ish with the Tales of Asgard feature.  I think it's underappreciated, and on top of that it's got another great Kirby cover.  It's even a 'Super Special Issue'.  :grin:

I totally agree, namisgr. As a kid in the 70s my first introduction to Thor was my older brother's 25-cent covered castoffs and the character never grabbed me. Then one day he dumped a stack of beat up Marvel Spectaculars he was done with on my bed and those Lee/Kirby reprints were like no Thor I'd read before!

I was hooked on the Hammer. I picked up the series at #292 (the second part of the Eternals Saga) and have been a fan ever since!

dirty-out-of-context-comic-panels-2-2279

The thing about those early issues is that even when they weren't so good, they still had a charm to them. Though the non-Lee and Kirby part of the run pushes it. Those stories are maybe second behind the post-Kirby torch stories in Strange Tales for goofiness.

The man with the horns:

JIM85.jpg

11 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Somehow I managed to snag this in a Foolkiller sales thread; it had even been sitting there for a few hours IIRC.

JIM103.jpg

Nice snag! As far as JIM goes this ish and #109 are at the top of my want list (thumbsu

53 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Great comics, namisgr! Your Thor collection would make Loki green with envy. Here is another of mine (best I can do with my tablet):

NWW6Cy4.jpg

Awesome cover and a great copy of it.

My Thor run is long gone, sold along with the rest of my Silver Age slabbed collection.  Still, its nice to have a thread on the Thunder God showing a complete run of SA issues - for me, it was a top 3 SA title alongside Spiderman and the Fantastic Four.

I've still got complete runs of reader copies of the titles reprinting the early SA Marvels, Marvel Tales and Marvel Collectors Item Classics, and enjoy pulling them out every now and again for another read.

Edited by namisgr

I can certainly get the tonality of the color on the cover to change by messing with the Histogram in Photoshop cutting the low points on both ends. 

I sold my entire comic collection earlier this week and I did decide to retain all of the JIM and Thor's which were about 125 books mostly bought off the newsstand when I was a teenager. I just loved Thor. Seeing the mention of JIM 97, and the "Tales Of Asgard". I had not read it in close to five  decades at least. I went and got it out and went through my aging copy.  I love being able to read them. None of my books are slabbed now.

In the Asgard story there's an interesting mistake. On page 3 of the Story, the lettering refers to the "Front Giants" which jumped right out at me. By Page 4, all was right near the rainbow bridge and they became Frost Giants" again.

Like the Zohan, you don't want to mess with Front Giants from the National Weather Service..