n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
14 14

1,095 posts in this topic

2,523 posts

Here are a few more comics I've gotten back from CGC lately.  Here's Air Fighters #7, to add to my collection of Valkyrie covers.

724192795_AirFightersComics19CGC5_0575.thumb.JPG.db18d771fd425eba611c272f839978ba.JPG

 

And here are some romance picture covers.  They are hard to find in high grade, but when you do find them, they're surprisingly cheap.

1141115476_CompleteLoveMagazine180CGC7_018.thumb.JPG.afe9385792d17e897c6552d572b6974c.JPG1177160346_GlamorousRomances87CGC7_028.thumb.JPG.e8b3da7c2f86d1f74bea808fca121e58.JPG1541445677_PopularRomance20CGC8_537.thumb.JPG.714a5561da4150825b186d6188104dde.JPG756310143_SweetLove3CGC9_050.thumb.JPG.6f32ecbd20fc1fb94b49e8ddd66fccff.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,939 posts

Photo copies go cheap for now because everyone wants the art on the cover.I think you are wise buying those some great covers out there :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,849 posts

Yeh, I couldn't agree more with Jack on this one.  There are few of us that really dig these, but we do exist, and more show up over time.  To me, the photocovers, for the most part, represent a particular view of relationship, a slice of Americana that existed in the 50's - love and its natural extension, marriage, as an important cherished part of life.  Happier times, when our parents stayed together no matter what.  These covers portray an idealistic optimism that was rejected by the following generation, we Boomers, in favor of a more realistic cynicism. 

The Mile High photocovers are starting to roll out, no doubt the Verzyls letting go of the lowest hanging fruit first.  I recommend going heavy for the Fawcetts, which pound for pound are better than their Ace and Standard counterparts, both in terms of photo content and interior art, which blows the others away.  The quirky Marvel photocovers are in their own special category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,523 posts
On 3/22/2019 at 3:33 PM, Dr. Love said:

Yeh, I couldn't agree more with Jack on this one.  There are few of us that really dig these, but we do exist, and more show up over time.  To me, the photocovers, for the most part, represent a particular view of relationship, a slice of Americana that existed in the 50's - love and its natural extension, marriage, as an important cherished part of life.  Happier times, when our parents stayed together no matter what.  These covers portray an idealistic optimism that was rejected by the following generation, we Boomers, in favor of a more realistic cynicism.

Dr. Love - Thanks for your post.  Your love of comics really shows!  I don't think I've ever read a better description of any kind of comics!

 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:33 PM, Dr. Love said:

The Mile High photocovers are starting to roll out, no doubt the Verzyls letting go of the lowest hanging fruit first.  I recommend going heavy for the Fawcetts, which pound for pound are better than their Ace and Standard counterparts, both in terms of photo content and interior art, which blows the others away.  The quirky Marvel photocovers are in their own special category.

Do you know where/when these comics are being offered?  For me personally, I haven't got to the point where I'm collecting my publisher.  Although, I might evolve into that if my collection of photocovers gets big enough and I have to start focusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,523 posts
Posted (edited)

I thought I'd post all the Valkyrie covers in my collection -- I have a total of 3 at this moment.  I actually don't know how many exist.  I probably should go through Gerber and make a want list.  In fact, I think I will do that the next time I'm in my comic room at the beach house.

Air Fighters v2 #2 with the first appearance of Valkyrie still ranks as one of my best all time comic purchases.  I got it at a Baltimore con a few years ago.  It was ungraded and on the dealer's wall, but I don't think he knew what he had.  I threw out an offer and he took it.  Baltimore is a great con, but I've only been able to go that one time because of other life commitments (even though I live relatively close).

430293128_AirFightersComics19CGC5_0575.thumb.JPG.049dfe172647a46698206493c82a318e.JPG1494368122_AirboyV3671.thumb.jpg.69bf968f2c299d29d1e6ffa058ebf932.jpg2075133171_AirFighters14v22CGC6_5150.jpg.9e0bfd619d25afda554dfdb056d4b197.jpg

 

I got into Airboy from the Eclipse series in the 80s.   It was only later that I became a fan of Dave Stevens, and I realized that he too had an appreciation of Valkyrie.  Here's Airboy 5 of the Eclipse series, with Dave's homage to Valkyrie's first golden age appearance.  I've always been struck by Dave's version.  In the original, Valkyrie stands over Airboy.  The same is true in Dave's version.  But in his version, Airboy isn't chained, and he's gripping Valkyrie's boot.  The 2 compositions are similar, but in Dave's version there's so much more tension.  What a great talent!

1708338995_Airboy5CGC9.8.jpg.de2b43aceafa2ff664d3f7e4419da705.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,045 posts

Nice V2#2 Eldon copy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,849 posts
3 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Dr. Love - Thanks for your post.  Your love of comics really shows!  I don't think I've ever read a better description of any kind of comics!

 

Do you know where/when these comics are being offered?  For me personally, I haven't got to the point where I'm collecting my publisher.  Although, I might evolve into that if my collection of photocovers gets big enough and I have to start focusing.

HA tomorrow Sunday night.  That's where the Mile High romance appears to be coming out.  There will be a lot more of it over time, Church had hundreds and hundreds.  We should be seeing whatever landed with John Verzyl.

It's always interesting to see how your collecting tastes evolve, Mike.  Thanks for sharing it all with us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,261 posts
12 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

HA tomorrow Sunday night.  That's where the Mile High romance appears to be coming out.  There will be a lot more of it over time, Church had hundreds and hundreds.  We should be seeing whatever landed with John Verzyl.

It's always interesting to see how your collecting tastes evolve, Mike.  Thanks for sharing it all with us!

With many of the .. ahem, highly coveted, Church  Polly Pigtails photocovers soon to be offered up too...the man loved his mile highs to have those, and Church truly hoarded everything.  

Its kinda fun just to search “mile high” on HA’s website and to see all the weird stuff you never knew existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,523 posts
On 3/23/2019 at 10:22 PM, Dr. Love said:

HA tomorrow Sunday night.  That's where the Mile High romance appears to be coming out.  There will be a lot more of it over time, Church had hundreds and hundreds.  We should be seeing whatever landed with John Verzyl.

It's always interesting to see how your collecting tastes evolve, Mike.  Thanks for sharing it all with us!

Thanks for the information.  I placed 3 bids but didn't win any.  That's probably a good thing for me.  The last I need is to win a few Mile Highs and then trigger the collecting bug inside me to build a Mile High collection. I'm actually having fun buying photo covers cheap and then sending the best ones into CGC. 

The only Mile High in my collection is Junie 5, which I somehow managed to pry away from @Ricksneatstuff a couple years ago.  I bought it with found money.  My daughter was graduating from high school.  For my 2 older daughters, we had a graduation party where we catered in fajitas from our favorite tex mex place (Uncle Julios).  But this daughter (Abby) didn't want that; she wanted me to smoke pork shoulders, chicken and burgers on my Big Green Egg.  I was all for that, as smoking meat is fun for me.  But I saved so much money from not catering, that I PM'd Rick about the Junie.  And as they say, the rest is history.

When I die, I plan to leave my comic collection to my 4 kids equally.  Except for Junie 5.  I plan to give that one to Abby since I didn't have to cater her HS grad party.

405988319_JunieProm5CGC9.4MileHigh1500.thumb.JPG.fc8a48d09fa16ee660d113fa3ad33127.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,849 posts

yeh me too, a mixed blessing like you said

that Junie was one great purchase for sure.  Very forward thinking at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,523 posts
On 3/24/2019 at 1:19 AM, adamstrange said:

Thanks for the info.  That issue's now on my want list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,523 posts

South Beach, Miami

This past weekend, the wife and I went to South Beach.  We needed some relaxing as we're trying to sell our house, and that's one of the most stressful things you can do in your life (according to things I've read).  We mostly stayed by the pool, so here's our views the last few days.

IMG_8384.thumb.jpg.90bd620d82ed4c6bd0448c3c65e9fc9e.jpgIMG_8383.thumb.jpg.7fdcf663cbbd47e91c5cb71e2eda14c5.jpg

 

Mostly we did nothing, other than sitting in the sun by the pool, and eating and drinking.  I love avocados; here's the avocado toast with a poached egg I got for breakfast one day.

IMG_8357.thumb.jpg.1795ecd02fea8c74e574acf0d0d53047.jpg

 

Here's a smoked Manhattan from dinner one night.  They do it the same way I do.  You get a slab of wood, put on a small pile of wood chips, fire up the wood chips, and then put the glass over the smoke.  The glass extinguishes the flame, and then you turn the glass over and pour in the drink (which you mixed while the glass was being smoked).

IMG_8364.thumb.jpg.e4152cd610bdca496aa97d7947cd89a5.jpg

 

This is something I covet for my bar.

IMG_8381.thumb.jpg.9ed0ffc6aecb3dae3990c7491ccaacac.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,835 posts
On 3/22/2019 at 12:13 PM, n2wdw said:

 

756310143_SweetLove3CGC9_050.thumb.JPG.6f32ecbd20fc1fb94b49e8ddd66fccff.JPG

Our gal Alice. :luhv:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,045 posts
On 3/25/2019 at 6:30 AM, n2wdw said:

Thanks for the information.  I placed 3 bids but didn't win any.  That's probably a good thing for me.  The last I need is to win a few Mile Highs and then trigger the collecting bug inside me to build a Mile High collection. I'm actually having fun buying photo covers cheap and then sending the best ones into CGC. 

The only Mile High in my collection is Junie 5, which I somehow managed to pry away from @Ricksneatstuff a couple years ago.  I bought it with found money.  My daughter was graduating from high school.  For my 2 older daughters, we had a graduation party where we catered in fajitas from our favorite tex mex place (Uncle Julios).  But this daughter (Abby) didn't want that; she wanted me to smoke pork shoulders, chicken and burgers on my Big Green Egg.  I was all for that, as smoking meat is fun for me.  But I saved so much money from not catering, that I PM'd Rick about the Junie.  And as they say, the rest is history.

When I die, I plan to leave my comic collection to my 4 kids equally.  Except for Junie 5.  I plan to give that one to Abby since I didn't have to cater her HS grad party.

405988319_JunieProm5CGC9.4MileHigh1500.thumb.JPG.fc8a48d09fa16ee660d113fa3ad33127.JPG

 

Man, Mike, that must have been one heck of a party! Do your kids like your collection? My kids have absolutely no interest in mine. They will probably end up with it though. They each want my two autographed copies of MAD comics #1 and a couple of Robots and toys. One of my son in laws wants my guitars and the other wants my motorcycles. I have given them specific instructions on what to do with the rest. It remains to be seen if my granddaughters will have any interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,523 posts
On 3/26/2019 at 12:22 AM, sacentaur said:

Our gal Alice. :luhv:

Who is she?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,523 posts
On 3/26/2019 at 11:39 AM, Robot Man said:

Man, Mike, that must have been one heck of a party! Do your kids like your collection? My kids have absolutely no interest in mine. They will probably end up with it though. They each want my two autographed copies of MAD comics #1 and a couple of Robots and toys. One of my son in laws wants my guitars and the other wants my motorcycles. I have given them specific instructions on what to do with the rest. It remains to be seen if my granddaughters will have any interest. 

Nowadays for kids, it's cool to be a geek.  So my kids think it's cool their dad is a geek.  Also, 2 of my daughters are into cosplay, all my kids are into video games, all have read Bone, everyone loves Game of Thrones and Harry Potter, they like the Marvel and DC movies, so my kids think my collection is cool but they are not directly interested in comics like superheroes.  All my kids are very respectful of my stuff.  I also keep candy in the room so the kids are always going into the room for a handful of Skittles or chocolate.

Our beach house is small, and my comic room by its nature is a private room.  Often when one of my kids wants privacy, like to make a phone call, they will go into my comic room.  Also, my son when he was a young teenager once made out with a girl in my comic room.  (I told him to NEVER do that again!)  One time when my youngest daughter threw a fit and was mad at the world, she went into the comic room to sleep.  So I guess my comic room is like a sanctuary for my kids.  I like it that way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,045 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

Nowadays for kids, it's cool to be a geek.  So my kids think it's cool their dad is a geek.  Also, 2 of my daughters are into cosplay, all my kids are into video games, all have read Bone, everyone loves Game of Thrones and Harry Potter, they like the Marvel and DC movies, so my kids think my collection is cool but they are not directly interested in comics like superheroes.  All my kids are very respectful of my stuff.  I also keep candy in the room so the kids are always going into the room for a handful of Skittles or chocolate.

Our beach house is small, and my comic room by its nature is a private room.  Often when one of my kids wants privacy, like to make a phone call, they will go into my comic room.  Also, my son when he was a young teenager once made out with a girl in my comic room.  (I told him to NEVER do that again!)  One time when my youngest daughter threw a fit and was mad at the world, she went into the comic room to sleep.  So I guess my comic room is like a sanctuary for my kids.  I like it that way.

 

My kids just have very little interest and that is OK. I let them be them. My grand kids are facinated though. I let them play with my big Buddy L trucks. They love them and can't hurt them. My son in law goes in and plays my electric guitars when ever he is over. He is quite good and will probably end up with them someday. Great your kids have an interest.

Oh, and I have NEVER or EVER will consider myself a "geek".  :roflmao:

Edited by Robot Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
14 14