• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I.JOE Special #1 ????
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I've seen that cover before. Someone posted it in a thread commenting on how McFarlane was getting lazy with his art (that drawings is identical to his Spider-man 1 and a few others aswell, spawn i think)

Didnt realise there was any rarity about it.

This would be my auction fellas. The cover was done by Phil Gosier, McFarlane only did the interiors for it. The artwork was originally scheduled for issue #61, but it never saw print until this special. I came upon the "supposed" print run # from a past auction.

k

That print run estimate is probably a bit low (say... ten times too low?).

The Standard Catalog of Comic Books lists the Capital City order at 7,000

for the G.I. Joe #155. Capital City was probably 20%-25% of the market,

so G.I. Joe #155 is probably 28,000-35,000 or so.

The Special Edition would have been released about two months later,

so I seriously doubt if the number is below even 25,000...

(With it being a "#1 special edition" from 1994-95, it's probably more than #155.)

That print run estimate is probably a bit low (say... ten times too low?).

The Standard Catalog of Comic Books lists the Capital City order at 7,000

for the G.I. Joe #155. Capital City was probably 20%-25% of the market,

so G.I. Joe #155 is probably 28,000-35,000 or so.

The Special Edition would have been released about two months later,

so I seriously doubt if the number is below even 25,000...

(With it being a "#1 special edition" from 1994-95, it's probably more than #155.)

Like I said, "the supposed" # confused-smiley-013.gif. I'm certainly not trying to deceive anyone on its rarity foreheadslap.gif.

The info is much appreciated Greg thumbsup2.gif

K

Like I said, "the supposed" # confused-smiley-013.gif. I'm certainly not trying to deceive anyone on its rarity foreheadslap.gif.

The info is much appreciated Greg thumbsup2.gif

K

On a related note, I noticed a G.I. Joe Comics Magazine (Marvel) listed in the

Standard Catalog of Comic Books... with extremely low sales numbers.

(I believe it was a 1980s series)

Anybody seen any of those? (Particularly any numbered higher than #10?)

Ooooooh, I love it when you beg! 27_laughing.gif

can you show us? That way I will know what I'm talking about next time wink.gif

27_laughing.gif Begging is my specialty! Sure, as soon as I can get to my copy of #61, I'll post scans to show the difference thumbsup2.gif

K

On 5/22/2005 at 3:49 PM, SharpComics.com said:

This would be my auction fellas. The cover was done by Phil Gosier, McFarlane only did the interiors for it. The artwork was originally scheduled for issue #61, but it never saw print until this special. I came upon the "supposed" print run # from a past auction.

k

:bump: I got one of the Specials coming back from CGC. I'm curious what the estimated print run was just for my own collection info?

10 minutes ago, sd2416 said:

Here's the story behind it. 

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-182/

Thanks. Lots of good info. Kind of funny the circumstances that brought this book about. I'm pretty sure it the first homage of the Spider-Man 1 cover not done by McFarlane. There's an Amazing Spider-Man Super Special with Scarlet Spider on the flipside but it just says 1995 for the print date. I imagine it probably came out after Joe book in February of 95'

3 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:
On 5/22/2005 at 5:49 PM, SharpComics.com said:

k

:bump: I got one of the Specials coming back from CGC. I'm curious what the estimated print run was just for my own collection info?

There was no print run estimate, Brad just saw a meaningless number offered by some buffoon.

Could you really find nothing on this issue other than this thread that died almost 13 years ago?